Thread: Cracked hull repair

Default Cracked hull repair

Hey guys, need some advise. I've been chasing a water leak for a few outings and found it today. A small crack on the port outboard sponson. I can't reach from the inside due to it being under the glued in battery tray. Should I use this epoxy repair on the outside?

IMG_3148.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Insanity Plea; 08-14-2017 at 05:06 AM.

That's what id do. Sand it and west systems marine rapair eooxy.

Do you think you can squeeze some Thru the crack from the outside? If not maybe just some Ca glue. It will likely soak through the crack. Not mess up the paint either. Other option is if the battery trays are the wood ones they come out reasonably easy .

Shawn

yes some thin c.a. glue should fix this crack.

Would get the tray out and put some cloth + epoxy over the crack
    Much stronger

It's the V3, trays are glued in. I'll try the ca glue and then maybe repair epoxy over that. Thanks for the info

Cracks should be ground out, then re-filled with glass and epoxy. Seems your describing track fixes, just enough to keep racing, hopefully. But these do not sound like permanent fixes...

Scott, may I ask when you discovered the leak? The reason I ask is because if this is the MG29 that you recently purchased and you discovered there is a leak after your first run, then perhaps the crack was already there. If there is no evident marks where you might have hit something in the water or maybe while handling it while out of the water and you bumped it against something hard, then perhaps the crack could have been there already. You could return it to the hobby shop and they can warranty the boat for you or HH themselves. But, if you think the crack occurred while in your possession then perhaps you can just cut out the section of the tray where the crack is. I looked at mine and I don't think the whole tray is glued along the entire tray but only at certain points. If the crack is not where the glue is set then you could cut that section and lay some fiberglass sheets which will be a stronger and a lasting repair.

I contacted proboat this morning with pictures and proof of purchase, they are sending a replacement hull. Great customer service! I believe it was a defect, it collected a little water during the first ever run and progressively got worse.

You can repair a crack from just outside access, just need to know how to do it... I worked at a boat shop years ago, did it all the time! Use a Dremel with a small ball cutter bit to grind out the crack. Hell if you lucky, the tray may be at the crack, and that acts as your back support for the new resin. I would heavily fill the resin with fiberglass filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Plea View Post
    I contacted proboat this morning with pictures and proof of purchase, they are sending a replacement hull. Great customer service! I believe it was a defect, it collected a little water during the first ever run and progressively got worse.
    I'm so glad that you considered that the crack was a defect and you're getting a new hull. .

Nice! Problem solved!