Thread: Bigger motor Zelos 48

Default Bigger motor Zelos 48

I have the Zelos 48 and I want to put a bigger motor in it and see what she can handle.
    New to electric so I need suggestions on what size motor. Willing to run 8s up to 12s. Looking for more power than she can handle and if possible longer run time. I was thinking TP Power 5680 or Leopard 56110. Not sure which kv to get. Maybe eve a Neu Motor. Also need suggestions on esc. Thank you

Castle 2028. You will need a bigger than stock esc.
    And, welcome to posting here! I suspect you may not be new to the board, but if so the big phat welcome all around.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Motor kv is closely linked to battery voltage. Choose a battery configuration, then select a motor to yield around 38,000 rpm's. The selected batt voltage sets what voltage rating on the motor you need. You have to research the motor and get max amps, volts and wattage. This leads to ESC selection. The amps is effected by how much prop you want to turn. So the calculator on the site can get your prop selection pretty close, based on your desired speed goal. Then post what batts you decided on and the prop your thinking about. People can give some guidance after knowing this basic info...

The new Castle 2028 800kv is rated at a higher 45,000 rpm. On sale also! I'll run 10s. I'll check out the prop calculator tonight. Thanks for the input.

It's not so much about what the motor is rated at. Craig speaks much that should be considered.
    Aim for 30k target rpms, otherwise at that voltage you will need a huge esc. We run this motor with a 200+ amp high quality esc, 300 provides plenty of headroom and ensures that you have a capable esc. It should be bigger than a deck of cards.
    The other issue with changing the motor is that if you need bigger prop than a 48mm like the stock, you need to modify the strut so it can go higher. Even though the rpm calculations may suggest similarity between the stock and castle 2028 and 10s, the torque will be higher and the amps will be lower on the higher voltage setup, thus a larger prop may be needed.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I would think that's crossing into a 1/4" flex shaft size. There's going to be a lot of torque with that motor at 10s. 800kv on 10s is 29,600rpm's. you will need a bigger prop. Just keep in mind, big prop at high batt voltage can easily over-amp your setup. If it were me, I would use a 1050kv motor and turn a smaller prop. You see, when a big prop cavitates due to rough water or tight turn, it pulls ungodly amount of current when it hooks up again. Slow motor, big prop and high voltage is touch and go!

Oh, I didn't catch it was a 48, probably already a 1/4" flex....

2028 installed in mine with a 300A swordfish. 10s. No prob so far. But yes...get a datalogging esc at least and keep a close eye on amps just as the guys say. See my thread in the Proboat q&a forum. Real trouble with the hull packing too much air at the moment and taking to the sky. Haven't been back to the lake in a month or so but initial trials with an air dam seemed good. Admit I haven't found a really good prop yet. I need to get the hull settled a bit first then try props.

And yes - strut adjustability on the stock setup is very limited. I haven't yet modded mine but I think the day is coming.
    Last edited by IRON-PAWW; 08-11-2017 at 02:02 AM.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Quote Originally Posted by CThe selected batt voltage sets whr[COLOR="#0000CD"
    aigP;697486]Motor kv is closely linked to battery voltage. Choose a battery configuration, then select a motor to yield around 38,000 rpm's. at voltage rating on the motor you need. You have to research the motor and get max amps, volts and wattage.[/COLOR] This leads to ESC selection. The amps is effected by how much prop you want to turn. So the calculator on the site can get your prop selection pretty close, based on your desired speed goal. Then post what batts you decided on and the prop your thinking about. People can give some guidance after knowing this basic info...
    Been lurking here - thought I'd post this handy chart (although no 10S column)

kv_voltage[1].pdf
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

That's good info in a handy format Tony! My motors for the 34 Vortex are right on the chart! Running 8s and started working the hull out with a 4074 1050kv, then went to 4082 1250kv. I have a hot motor to see how fast she can go, a 4082 1450kv. That's just for straight runs. Did you like the way your Vortex turned out?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    That's good info in a handy format Tony! My motors for the 34 Vortex are right on the chart! Running 8s and started working the hull out with a 4074 1050kv, then went to 4082 1250kv. I have a hot motor to see how fast she can go, a 4082 1450kv. That's just for straight runs. Did you like the way your Vortex turned out?
    I'm still doing some prop testing. I want it to be perfect before I put it up for sale.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

That should go pretty quick... It's a nice build. So far what's your best prop? I'd say the M445 is testing the best on mine. Looks like I can take it up to M545. Amps are running average of 85 and peak accelerations at 125. So it's close to design limit now..

Thank you guys. Great info, the charts are great. I didn't expect so much info so quickly. Great forum!

Rhodes, don't know your experience level with higher voltage... If you know this already then I apologize. When you increase voltage, you want to run lower amps. The motor can only take so many watts. Watts is V X A, so V increasing directly increases watts. It is highly recommended to have a datalogger. Temps are very misleading, due to heat soak when bringing the boat in and losing the water flow. There is a datalogger I'm using called an Eagle Tree 150A V4. It's inexpensive and works great! ESC datalogger leave much to be desired. You have to unhook the motor on the Sword Fish which wears out the connectors real fast, causing issues you don't need. Most motors the size you are running are 4-5KW units. So the math is 4500/37.4 = 120A If my wattage rating is right (you should check) then this would be your target amps. I hope that helps...