Thread: TP 4060 or 4070

Default TP 4060 or 4070

hello,

I am building a crazy boat, and I need some advice because I cannot find precise information about these motors.

What I know:

- the TP4070V1 1700Kv weights about 640grs and can be ordered with a 8mm shaft. may be too beasty for my application

What I do not know:

- the 4060V1 1750Kv does not weight 455grs , but how much? did somebody get it with a 5mm axle? I would prefer to have a 8mm for 50K/rpm...

Who has made a direct comparison with both? I mean with close Kv's? I know that internals inside theses motors can be very different from V2 to V1, and also in production from 2014 to now...

Vincent

Hello Vincent,

I may not have the exact answers you're seeking , but I use both the TP Power 5mm 4060 2040KV on 4S2P in my 34" Cheetah (as a replacement for a Neu 1521 1.5D) and the motor is perfect for that application(current NAMBA 2-Lap record holder).

I built a DF Vortex 34" Sport Hydro and thought I'd try the TP Power 4070 8mm 2200 KV 4S2P. The motor is a MONSTER and more than needed.

In general going to a longer rotor (4060 to 4070) the 100mm rotor of the 4070 basically allows larger diameter props which seem (so far at least) past what keeps things settled at least in my case with the Vortex.

Time after time you can witness max-speed obsessed entry-level FE boaters upping their motor size by going up in rotor length without realizing that all they're gaining is the ability to spin unsuitable props.

Having peeked at your accomplishments I'm sure you're aware of this

Curious as to what you're building with 50K rpm in mind
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Too much motor/prop just reduces your runtime. Either by chewing up mah unecessarily or by flipping your boat! Keep it real, keep it fun!

hello Tony,

Thanks for your comments.
    yes, as I said , this TO4070 is big. anyway I bought it.

The SAW record in Mono class is over 100 mph, and I think I can beat it on the paper.

I am not a fan of SAW, but when you realize that you can buy the motor, that ABC is making low lift, high pitch , high rake props, and you can also get a 300A controller for "cheap" with also graphene lipos or Roaring top 80C, you start to think of making high speed . I am playing since my young days from speed to endurance boats.

From a 1.10 lbs motor for a 22 lbs boat in my winning enduro boat, I will go to 1.41lbs for a 6.61 lbs boat! May be shocking but I do not want to have a limiting factor

I am not sure I will use this 4070 motor, because I got a 4040Pro Kv1580 which will be mounted first to validate the hull. To summarize, if the boat stays on water at 90mph, and more power is needed to achieve 110, I will use it knowing a 4060 could do the job...

Sounds like you have a good vision on what you're going to do! Would love to see some pics of it running, if you can keep the camera up with it, lol!

I'm staying tuned in and watching

Here's Ralf :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7sIkoazeU
    Last edited by properchopper; 08-13-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

hello,

When I see Joerg's hydro, I am impressed, and I will never try to beat this performance but I beliece there is something to do with a Mono. I did not get all the components, and I will have to built the boat... one month from now, I think!

I hope I will make you smile or laugh at me...

Cool

Considering what Team JAGs has done with a hydro, the mono SAW record should be a bit higher. It's not about power, we have huge amounts of power available today. Joerg only used 8S to go almost 180 mph. No, it's more about hull design, commercial hulls just aren't there for 120+ mph. Too much lift, too much wetted surface. I was there for Ralf's record runs, his boat was very wet compared to a hydro - it had to be to maintain stability. IMO a deep vee design is not the way to go really fast. The real challenge is to substantially reduce drag and maintain stability in three planes, all while conforming to the governing organization's definition of a mono.

Good luck with your efforts!
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Brushman View Post
    hello Tony,

Thanks for your comments.
    yes, as I said , this TO4070 is big. anyway I bought it.

The SAW record in Mono class is over 100 mph, and I think I can beat it on the paper.

I am not a fan of SAW, but when you realize that you can buy the motor, that ABC is making low lift, high pitch , high rake props, and you can also get a 300A controller for "cheap" with also graphene lipos or Roaring top 80C, you start to think of making high speed . I am playing since my young days from speed to endurance boats.

From a 1.10 lbs motor for a 22 lbs boat in my winning enduro boat, I will go to 1.41lbs for a 6.61 lbs boat! May be shocking but I do not want to have a limiting factor

I am not sure I will use this 4070 motor, because I got a 4040Pro Kv1580 which will be mounted first to validate the hull. To summarize, if the boat stays on water at 90mph, and more power is needed to achieve 110, I will use it knowing a 4060 could do the job...

If you want to use the TP4070 I'll loan you a prop that it can handle with ease..........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgRzweFct0M

Hell, that's too funny! Looks like the center prop on the Titanic!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Considering what Team JAGs has done with a hydro, the mono SAW record should be a bit higher. It's not about power, we have huge amounts of power available today. Joerg only used 8S to go almost 180 mph. No, it's more about hull design, commercial hulls just aren't there for 120+ mph. Too much lift, too much wetted surface. I was there for Ralf's record runs, his boat was very wet compared to a hydro - it had to be to maintain stability. IMO a deep vee design is not the way to go really fast. The real challenge is to substantially reduce drag and maintain stability in three planes, all while conforming to the governing organization's definition of a mono.

Good luck with your efforts!
    Hello Fluid, I will try to follow the Munich SAW rules, I just have to check if they will accept a stepped mono... for stability , I will use 2 vertical tail fins, and may be a "Canard"wing... I do not care too much about the rules, this expected record would be only my record, not conforming to the governing organization's definition of a mono.