Thread: offset rudder bracket mod

Default offset rudder bracket mod

I have a genesis and read many many threads about mods and found that a lot of guys are using an offset bracket for their rudder to improve turning

I bought the brkt but didnt install it until I noticed my rudder swivel pin is sloppy and it causes the boat to handle really badly, thinking the pressure from the prop wash hitting a sloppy rudder was making the handling worse , I installed the offset bracket only to get the rudder out of the prop wash. Immediately it was a different boat my search for setup was almost over I could instantly see. however I was disappointed that the offset bracket was dragging in the water causing water to spray straight up in the air 2 1/2 ft! until the hull is going fast enough to get up on the pad

its not only ugly to see but its clearly scrubbing off a lot of speed unless your on the pad, this resistance also creates some heat and battery power loss as any drag will but this is excessive.
    I dont see this as a fix I am going to see if I can find some better quality rudder systems that arent as sloppy as this TFL but in the mean time
    I decided to mod the bracket in hopes of reducing some of the drag.... the aluminum bracket looks substantial and I believe can take the removal of the bottom cross bar and maintain structural integrity ...I tested the mod and was happy to see 65-75% of the water spray was reduced

I know some guys reported they like the turning capabilities using the offset bracket ...its not for me personally I would prefere to fix my problem, but I thought some of you that do like the offset bracket may also like to reduce the drag

anyone that owns a quality rudder system and can recommend it post me a name or a link please

offset.jpg

have you had a look at R/C BOAT BITZ, they have the perfect offset rudder upgrade for your hull.

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    I have a genesis and read many many threads about mods and found that a lot of guys are using an offset bracket for their rudder to improve turning

I bought the brkt but didnt install it until I noticed my rudder swivel pin is sloppy and it causes the boat to handle really badly, thinking the pressure from the prop wash hitting a sloppy rudder was making the handling worse , I installed the offset bracket only to get the rudder out of the prop wash. Immediately it was a different boat my search for setup was almost over I could instantly see. however I was disappointed that the offset bracket was dragging in the water causing water to spray straight up in the air 2 1/2 ft! until the hull is going fast enough to get up on the pad

its not only ugly to see but its clearly scrubbing off a lot of speed unless your on the pad, this resistance also creates some heat and battery power loss as any drag will but this is excessive.
    I dont see this as a fix I am going to see if I can find some better quality rudder systems that arent as sloppy as this TFL but in the mean time
    I decided to mod the bracket in hopes of reducing some of the drag.... the aluminum bracket looks substantial and I believe can take the removal of the bottom cross bar and maintain structural integrity ...I tested the mod and was happy to see 65-75% of the water spray was reduced

I know some guys reported they like the turning capabilities using the offset bracket ...its not for me personally I would prefere to fix my problem, but I thought some of you that do like the offset bracket may also like to reduce the drag

anyone that owns a quality rudder system and can recommend it post me a name or a link please

offset.jpg
    i had the same drag problem with my fightercat daytona with offset rudder. fixed the problem by gluing a thin piece of carbon fiber sheet from the underside of the tunnel to under the offset bracket. it was a drastic change when i ran it. much faster acceleration and no spray. like going up a prop size.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    have you had a look at R/C BOAT BITZ, they have the perfect offset rudder upgrade for your hull.
    are you referring to the offset brkt in the photo?
    the brkt I cut down is just like that

Genesis complete driveline-rudder upgrade GEDR-K.jpg

yes thats the kit. nice dual water pick up rudder too.

thats what I am using, although now improved....including the larger rudder with dual pickup...
    Id prefere not to use the offset bracket and just replace the sloppy rudder
    can anyone recommend a real quality rudder and bracket?..... the pivot pin on my TFL rudder has worn out prematurely

have a look at O.S.E. the best rudders are Speed Master .

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    have a look at O.S.E. the best rudders are Speed Master .
    thanks for the fast reply, I like doing business with OSE

Speed Master is an excellent pice of hardware! Can modify pretty easily for left-side placement and pulling on the rudder arm instead of pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    i had the same drag problem with my fightercat daytona with offset rudder. fixed the problem by gluing a thin piece of carbon fiber sheet from the underside of the tunnel to under the offset bracket. it was a drastic change when i ran it. much faster acceleration and no spray. like going up a prop size.
    here is a picture of the underside of my daytona. really big difference in performance. used .030" carbon fiber sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    here is a picture of the underside of my daytona. really big difference in performance. used .030" carbon fiber sheet.
    WOW. . .that looks radical. . . .did you think of this yourself or did you read or seen it done somewhere else? I've never seen this before. I've seen trim tabs on cats but certainly nothing like this. I'm definitely going to have to try this. urbs thanks for the pic and info. . . .faster acceleration and no spray. .I like it.

that will work..did you test your speeds prior and then after this mod with a plate of carbon fiber Im curious how much the plate scrubs off, it would be measurable I would think
    I ordered a new rudder system to fix my proplem proper and I may have different issues
    Last edited by MadProps; 08-09-2017 at 09:03 PM.

MadProps, i hope you ordered a good quality rudder system.

actually not knowing how much better another CNC manufacturers tolerances and materials are I bought another cheap TFL rudder systems to keep me on the water, its summer I want no down time and the TFL was fine till the swivel pin and bushing wore out wore out and became sloppy ........ I will refit new swivel pin and bushings with better tolerances and materials on the original dual pickup rudder system myself in the shop and be done with it.

use a piece of 5 mm [ 3/16 inich ] diameter stainless rod like the drive shaft has and buy 2 strut bushings [ glacial bearings ] all you need to do is drill out to match the bushing o.d. and tap them in then fit the rod in. this will be the same set up as you have now but will be alot better quality and should last some time too.

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    that will work..did you test your speeds prior and then after this mod with a plate of carbon fiber Im curious how much the plate scrubs off, it would be measurable I would think
    I ordered a new rudder system to fix my proplem proper and I may have different issues
    what do you mean, "how much the plate scrubs off"? if anything it adds speed. and instant acceleration, nothing grabbing water behind the boat.

Hello All,

I realize this is an older thread, just thought it appropriate to my question. I'm putting together my first FE boat. A Genesis. Reading this thread (and others) I'm thinking of going a slightly different route than I've seen so far regarding the offset rudder use. I've purchased both the OSE and Boat Bitz offset brackets. They're quite different BTW. The OSE is beefier and does not offset the rudder to the side nearly as far as the Boat Bitz does. It also does not put it as far behind the stern as the Boat Bitz.

All that being said, I'm thinking of offsetting the rudder to port instead of starboard as typically done regardless which piece of hardware I use.

My reasons are 3-fold and all relate to the left hand prop rotation and its subsequent clockwise hull torque roll and right hand prop walk induced steering tendency:

1) I hope to minimize the dragging of the offset rudder hardware in the wake upon take off. I'm thinking that because the single left hand prop rotation throws the boat (any boat) over onto its right side during take off, with the port side set-up I'll be lifting the hardware up away from the water more than digging it in, hopefully minimizing this problem (no slight intended to you Mad Racer regarding your excellent cut-out idea. I'll do that too if necessary). 2) I want any small, added weight to the port side of the boat to help offset the starboard torque roll rather make it worse, and 3) Since prop walk will tend to work the stern of the boat to port, tending to make the boat want to veer slightly right, I can help balance that all out by putting the added rudder drag to port versus possibly making it worse by placing it to starboard. Note here that I will not be racing and want to turn as well as possible left and right.

I realize I'll have to drill access for the rudder steering arm and some other minor adjustments. Do any of you experienced folks see any major issues with this approach?