Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks GP310 build

last night i mixed up some west and glued the sponson decks on. a coat on both surfaces, a lot of tape, and some weight for a full 24 hours.

also got the hatch cut.

IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5054.jpg
    IMG_5064.jpg
    IMG_5057.jpg
    IMG_5056.jpg
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

What do you have with the Shwepps Mixers?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Morning... I see not much being posted on this build lately. L had you finished this build and got the boat painted and or run?
    Very nice build by the way. I have built many of Mikes boats and they have always been a great build. Very tight and precise fitting. The ply has always been top notch. The last build was the GSX310 that I finished up back in March. Should be a build thread on it somewhere.
    Was kind of interested to see what you decided to go with for power and ESC??

Oh and I know you probably would rather forget the drama with the turn fin mount....LOL But thought I would pass this along and its always worked great for me. 1/4" back plate is more than enough. I always drill and tap the plate first before install. I also drill a series of 3/16 holes through the plate at random locations so that the epoxy has some areas to flow through for better adhesion. When I get ready to epoxy the back plate I will coat the inside of the threaded holes and the bolt with a layer of Vaseline. Mount the turn fin to the bracket, check the position of the fin to the bottom of the hull and install the bolts and tighten them right down. You have will have no worries about the epoxy getting in the bolt threads and cementing them in. When the epoxy drys completely those bolts will back right out of there.

Hope this helps a little for your next build. Sure would like to see the finished boat...:)
    Have a great day!

Mike

hey man, yeah i basically built the boat sealed with epoxy, and now its off season and chilly here in Boston, so i won't be doing anything too soon really. ill get back to it febuary or so. i need to sand, paint, and put sone stuff inside, basically. i haven't bought anything yet, because im still unsure what motor I'm using. ide prefer a 36mm motor i suppose.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Oh ok....so you must be planning on running it as a P-limited boat then.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    Oh ok....so you must be planning on running it as a P-limited boat then.
    I'm just planning to run it with whatever motor i decide to use. i have no clue about that race stuff. it can fit 2s packs lol. thats what i know so far

I’m getting the boat sanded down for primer and paint, then I realized I want to cut the stuffing tube hole and mount it before I paint. Which of course I can’t do without mounting a motor and stuff so I know where things are going. So I ordered a motor and mount tp 3630 2220kv, a carbon mount, a flex cable so I can line things up, MBP collet clutch, and some carbon battery trays. I kind of need all this stuff layed out so I know where the motor will actually be placed, then I can cut and mount stuffing tube.

parts showed up but I'm in pittsburg until sunday. once i get home ill start back in building so this thing is ready for spring.

Got some stuff
    3E05D2BB-E3A7-4204-9EF4-380D20194479.jpg
    i need to trim the boat to fit these a bit, but this is where they will sit
    7727398B-8BCD-4704-831B-8B3D1157173B.jpg
    CADB46EF-6FD8-4C3F-8EA9-95397DCBEAC2.jpg

did some work yesterday and this morning. i got drill out and got the stuffing tube in there. i mixed up some Gflex 650 and 406 thickener, then tacked brass with super glue and did the bottom side first. then on top i tack an o ring down, and start with some Gflex and some chopped up CF, once that tacks up, i mix a little more with a drop of black dye, because it looks nicer, but takes away from the strength slightly. anyone that uses Gflex knows its yellow and kind of ugly. but strong af.
    the battery trays i had to do some trimming on the inside braces, but I'm pretty sure its not a crucial structural feature. i also removed the cross member in the center. it is just in the way of the motor collet. again, I've built this hull really strong. i hope lol.

IMG_6335.jpgIMG_6336.jpgIMG_6337.jpgIMG_6338.jpg

Damn, just love a new boat going together! Looking really sharp, very clean construction! I bet your chomping at the bit to get this one wet....

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Damn, just love a new boat going together! Looking really sharp, very clean construction! I bet your chomping at the bit to get this one wet....
    Hey man, didn’t even see your reply. I’m just enjoying taking my time really. I don’t get too itchy about it lol

Nice, coming along well. White on black looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Nice, coming along well. White on black looks good.
    Thanks Shawn ���� I’m going to be painting it candy red. ��

Is this kit still being sold? I didn't see it on the website anymore.

Ohhh!! Candy Red, excellent.

I was just partial to the white because of my current build: Average White Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Is this kit still being sold? I didn't see it on the website anymore.

I have discontinued the GP310, GP400, and SX400 as of the 5th of this month.

The GSX310 and 380 are the replacements for those hulls.

If someone had to have a GP310 or 400, they would need to PM me, and I can get one, but I am trying to move forward with the new stuff.

A GSX338 and GSX265 will soon be available in the coming months as well. Once that happens, the rest of the GP series will be put to bed, lol.

Mike, ML Boatworks
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Ohhh!! Candy Red, excellent.

I was just partial to the white because of my current build: Average White Boat
    Haha yeah man if I were doing white ide be doing a 3 stage pearl white or something. But since I paint cars professionally I have to do something funky. Candy red should pop on the water

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    I have discontinued the GP310, GP400, and SX400 as of the 5th of this month.

The GSX310 and 380 are the replacements for those hulls.

If someone had to have a GP310 or 400, they would need to PM me, and I can get one, but I am trying to move forward with the new stuff.

A GSX338 and GSX265 will soon be available in the coming months as well. Once that happens, the rest of the GP series will be put to bed, lol.

Mike, ML Boatworks
    Mike, I would have built one of those but I hadn’t seen a build thread on them. The only reason I went with the GP was because there is one. Since it’s my first kit build I wanted to be sure I had my hand held a bit ya know? Now that I have one under my belt ide be more comfy building a gsx

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Hey man, didn’t even see your reply. I’m just enjoying taking my time really. I don’t get too itchy about it lol
    Good attitude, enjoy the journey! I find myself, while doing the “mindless work”, sanding and such, just daydreaming about how it’s going to rip on the water, and how the sun comes off the paint. The smell of the paint when it’s outside, getting prepared for that first run. Yes, it’s a grand thing!

I’m really avoiding paint at this point lol
    Don’t feel much like doing the prep work for paint yet, so I got on with mounting the motor with some gflex epoxy. Of course I sanded first with 80 grit. Then cleaned with alcohol.

DDBACB05-C0B3-4E8B-944C-7F1F277695CA.jpg5134F4A2-D33B-4C58-A540-DF9BDAEBE378.jpg

Nice work for a first Woody.

How did you hold down the top tub sheet while the glue dried?

I'm about to do mine and I have an idea but any input is appreciated!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Nice work for a first Woody.

How did you hold down the top tub sheet while the glue dried?

I'm about to do mine and I have an idea but any input is appreciated!
    oh i picked up three 5lb weights from a sporting goods store, which were like $2 each, and mostly held it with that weight. for the front i had a couple of clamps that i was able to get to stay in place while the glue cured.

Ok. The pictures didn't show clamps on the front. You can't show everything!

Thanks
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Ok. The pictures didn't show clamps on the front. You can't show everything!

Thanks
    A nice trick you can try to keep clamps on where they’ll want to slip off, is to put a
    Piece of masking tape where the clamp is going, and a piece of tape on the clamp. Then when you clamp it, use a few drops of superglue on the tape you laid down. Now when you clamp it. The superglue will dry, holding he clamp in place. Once Everything is cured, just take the clamp off and peel the two pieces of tape that are stuck together off the surface.

That's very cool! Thank you!
    Nortavlag Bulc

0B0DB360-2F41-4C89-A4DD-84069E4A731A.jpg02C92FEB-BF2C-4AA0-A731-689FB11D33F8.jpgD8D5C618-72EB-4F3E-8455-41D82D068722.jpgED64F002-BC8B-4712-BEFD-6D1945AF9C25.jpg

Got the battery trays glued up with some ASI black aquarium sealant. ASI is the goods for battery trays, flexible, super hold, and you don't have to sand anything. it sticks awesome

Awesome stuff, I been using it more and more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast