Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks GP310 build

Nice thanks. How do you heat the wood and how hot? Too hot would warp things no?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Nice thanks. How do you heat the wood and how hot? Too hot would warp things no?
    Ya know, I suppose it might. But I just get it warm to the touch really. Doesn't take much with a heat gun or even sitting it in the sun
    For a while.
    After I finished I put the weights back on it to keep everything str8 while the epoxy cured. And is still under the weights now, since that stuff takes a few days to reach maximum strength

Very good, thanks. I've always wanted better thinning or penetration with the MAS epoxy I use. After this batch is gone I'll try West systems or others.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Very nice .

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Attachment 153680Attachment 153681Attachment 153682Wondering if the overhang looks rite on the back of the ride pads and non trip, and does the breakaway require overhang?
    The overhangs look fine to me. I also leave the overhang on the breakaway too. I've got no idea if it helps or hinders anything. But I do it anyway.
    Here's a bit of a thread on when I built mine a few years ago, if it's any help.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...310-Hydroplane
    Last edited by 785boats; 09-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    The overhangs look fine to me. I also leave the overhang on the breakaway too. I've got no idea if it helps or hinders anything. But I do it anyway.
    Here's a bit of a thread on when I built mine a few years ago, if it's any help.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...310-Hydroplane
    Hey thanks for chiming in man. Yeah I haven't decidied what to do yet. I haven't had any time to work on it lately. Too many damn things going on rite now lol

Don't you hate it when real life takes over play life?
    I'm at one of those phases too.
    Plus. It's been eleven hour days at work, 6 days a week, & now I've been swung over to night shift.
    No energy for anything.

IMG_4806.jpgFinally got around to finishing the inside of the sponsons so I can get everything together.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Nobody cares thread.
    Got the sponsons glued up yesterday with gflex 650.
    Next I need to figure out my skid fin situation.
    IMG_4857.jpg
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

i ordered up a speed master mini rudder and 21 round bottom strut. also, for the turn fin i ordered a block of 1/2' aluminum stock to go inside the sponson to drill and tap for the mounting bracket. as for the mounting bracket itself, i decided to just grab a universal rudder mount for speed master rudder i saw listed on ose. should be perfect for mounting a fin to. as far as the fin, i have some aluminum here. ill probably just fabricate something.

I used the same hardware on my gp with the rudder on the right side. I haven't gotten a turn fin yet. It's probably a good idea making your own because I haven't seen any in stock anywhere that's any good. I use Virginia craftmen's fin but there not easy to get. The carbon looks nice should be tuff I wounder how much yours will weigh minus electrics. I'm well under 2.2 lbs with hardware and paint but less turn fin.
    Last edited by Moonie; 09-26-2017 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I used the same hardware on my gp with the rudder on the right side. I haven't gotten a turn fin yet. It's probably a good idea making your own because I haven't seen any in stock anywhere that's any good. I use Virginia craftmen's fin but there not easy to get. The carbon looks nice should be tuff I wounder how much yours will weigh minus electrics. I'm well under 2.2 lbs with hardware and paint but less turn fin.
    Try http://accu-techrchardware.com/turnfins.html

Also
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

I will toss mine on the scale tonight.

Moving long nicely, how big is this boat? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the kit? Thinking about building one, seems like there is a lot of support out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Thanks! I forgot all about mojo I'm going to order one tonight.

Thanks! I forgot all about mojo I'm going to order one tonight.
    Yup I spoke with Mike today actually and he confirmed mojo is where he gets them 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Moving long nicely, how big is this boat? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the kit? Thinking about building one, seems like there is a lot of support out there.
    Boat is 31", and I paid like 165 shipped I think. It's a great build. Mikes thread really helps too

Thank's, Have you decided on a motor and esc yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Thank's, Have you decided on a motor and esc yet?
    Haven't really given it too much thought to be honest. It will probably be a mild setup for long run times. I don't care much about going super fast. Somewhere around 50 I'll be happy with a good runtime is all I really care about.

Sounds good.

While you have her open, You may think about adding a through-going dowel that you can really be sure that a sponson won't come of if you were to get bumped in a race. I had a mad man cut me off in the infamous first turn and took the whole starboard sponson off... pretty traumatic but He offered to repair and now it's solid.

Also, I remove any and all overhangs. I have had some minor damage in a spin out where the boat was going backwards and caught the lip. Lots of force at those speeds.

Skid fin: I get the fin attached with lock nuts, then bathe the area in jb weld to keep the nuts in place and keep them from turning as you mess with the screws.

Be careful when attaching the deck... I've seen some decking rip off due to impatience and rushed gluing techniques.
    Although controversial, I still use two part foam in my sponsons and then sand it to the decking shape, then epoxy the whole area.

How much the bare hull weigh?

Carry on and enjoy.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    While you have her open, You may think about adding a through-going dowel that you can really be sure that a sponson won't come of if you were to get bumped in a race. I had a mad man cut me off in the infamous first turn and took the whole starboard sponson off... pretty traumatic but He offered to repair and now it's solid.

Also, I remove any and all overhangs. I have had some minor damage in a spin out where the boat was going backwards and caught the lip. Lots of force at those speeds.

Skid fin: I get the fin attached with lock nuts, then bathe the area in jb weld to keep the nuts in place and keep them from turning as you mess with the screws.

Be careful when attaching the deck... I've seen some decking rip off due to impatience and rushed gluing techniques.
    Although controversial, I still use two part foam in my sponsons and then sand it to the decking shape, then epoxy the whole area.

Carry on and enjoy.
    Hey Jesse, hope all is well man.
    Yes I have thought about doing some carbon boom tubes and collars thru the sponsons into the center section and fastening with collars. It's been on my mind.
    The skid fin I have a block of aluminum coming, and I like the idea because of for some reason I need to, I can drill and retap in another location.
    The decking will all be done in west systems epoxy. I have been really taking my time with this. I'm in no hurry )

Thank you!
    I'm still building a 26.5.

Carry on and enjoy.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ok guys, I got it on the scale this morning. It's at 930 grams or 2 lbs .8 ounces. That's with no hardware or decking. It's got 2 layers or carbon on most of the center tub.

I'm going to race mine next season in limited-p classs. I don't think this is a full p hull. Two 4s pack will not fit.

I'm going to race mine next season in limited-p classs. I don't think this is a full p hull. Two 4s pack will not fit.
    If GP 310 means 31.5" then it could work in p sport hydro class. With the right motor and prop, you should not need more than 5000 mah, so you could try a pair of 3300 in series to get 6600 mah total.
    Check battery dimensions and your battery compartment size.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

the hardware from ose showed up today. as always the order was perfect, as it always is with ose. steven has always been number one in my book when it comes to this.

the mini rudder looks a bit small to me, but thats what mike said to use on his website, so ill just go with it. speed master hardware is always nice.

its looking like the universal rudder bracket i got may be perfect for mounting the skid fin, but I'm waiting for that to come in to see. hopefully i can get that all set up this weekend.

also i think i have a color picked out for the boat. I'm still quite a ways away from paint tho.

If GP 310 means 31.5" then it could work in p sport hydro class. With the right motor and prop, you should not need more than 5000 mah, so you could try a pair of 3300 in series to get 6600 mah total.
    Check battery dimensions and your battery compartment size.
    I have a Pearl that's full P. I can't race it here any more are club only has P limited. My hull is not going to fit 3300 I tried.

IMG_4920.jpgI received the block of aluminum today that's going inside the rite sponson.

IMG_4922.jpgIMG_4921.jpgI got the block cut to a proper size and glued it in this morning with gflex.

Yup, that's a Block O' Aluminum all right! It looks too thin, lol!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast