Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks GP310 build

Default ML Boatworks GP310 build

This will be my attempt at a build thread for this boat.

I was gonna buy a GSX hull, but there isn't much build info, and I've never built one of Mikes kits, so i figured go with the one he did a nice Sticky Thread on.

Just ordered last night, so i guess i need to grab some more clamps, some weights, some med CA, and i Have a bunch of leftover West Systems 105 Resin and 207 hardener from my last build about 2 1/2 years ago. Not sure if this will work? i bought it for laminating Carbon into a fiberglass hull.

Other than that, i had sold everything off, so I'm starting fresh. I always knew i would come back, but i needed to thin out some hobbies at the time and take a break from RC.

Im not looking to break any speed records here. Ideally i want something i can just have fun with and actually run for a decent amount of time.

Furthermore, I'm looking for sources for materials. Kintec sadly is no longer from what i gather R.I.P Jan, and it looks like KBB is no longer? not sure, but i'de be looking for a source for carbon weave, and other materials not available from OSE (my number one place to go to), i suppose ebay?

anyways, Cheers guys! nice to see some of you still around, and greetings to the new members here I've not met yet.

as soon as this kit shows up, i will start the build
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Hatch showed up the other day. Rest of the boat just shipped out so i should be able to get started next week sometime
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Have you started yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Have you started yet?
    No, I'm on vacation in Cape Cod. I'll probably start tomorrow night possibly

I got a few minutes to work on it this evening. So following mikes thread I'm starting with the sponsons.

IMG_4464.jpg

also, i have no clue why the photo went sideways there lol.....

This morning I had some time to work on framing
    sponsons

IMG_4472.jpg
    the marked line for the strakes? was not printed on there, so i had to kinda guess a little bit on the bend. i think its good tho
    IMG_4471.jpg
    IMG_4470.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg

Then I got working on the 1/8 and 3/16 reinforcements
    IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4476.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4473.jpg

Lookin good!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Today I got some more work done. Last night I had glued on the non trip pads, so first thing this morning I wanted to get some epoxy in the sections I knew would be tough after the ride pads are installed. So I went shopping and grabbed some gflex. I have west 105 with 207 hardener, the problem is making small quantities. I needed something I could mix 1:1 so gflex it is. The gflex brushes on like garbage, nothing nice like the 105, and I got the slow cure stuff. But it should be good since the areas I was doing are mostly structural.
    Anyways.... pics
    IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

Then tonight I got the ride pads on. I tried to follow Mikes instructions via the sticky thread. Hopefully I got it right, but the right ride pad outside edge where it meets the non trip, is a blunt 90 degree, I I saded away the area needed and glued it up. The left side gets blended into the non trip. Some kind of perfamance enhancing feature I guess. Hopefully I got that rite

IMG_4510.jpg

LEFTIMG_4509.jpg

RIGHTIMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    I have west 105 with 207 hardener, the problem is making small quantities. I needed something I could mix 1:1 so gflex it is. The gflex brushes on like garbage, nothing nice like the 105, and I got the slow cure stuff. But it should be good since the areas I was doing are mostly structural.
    Check west systems web site; you can mix the two components by weight also. I know the 205 and 206 hardness are 5:1 by weight (same as volume). I am only going by memory, but I think the 207 is 2:1. Anyhow, double check it's the same ratio by weight.

I use a gram scale for all of my west systems mixing. Minimal waste, I only mix what I need.

Later,
    Mike

The build is looking great.
    You are correct in regards to the 'blunt' overhang on the right ride pad. It allows the water to break away in the turns. Whereas the angled ride pad on the left sponson helps prevent it from digging in through the turns.

I trust you are enjoying the build as much as I do when I build an ML Boatworks kit.

How about the small west systems measuring cups? It's alI have ever used. From fixing my track Ducati to building my Atlas and fixing my old Chris Craft and beyond. West system has a " built in" measuring buffer. Who has money for a scale let alone spilling resin on it! Don't worry, it'll happen!! Cups are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Navherc130 View Post
    How about the small west systems measuring cups? It's alI have ever used. From fixing my track Ducati to building my Atlas and fixing my old Chris Craft and beyond. West system has a " built in" measuring buffer. Who has money for a scale let alone spilling resin on it! Don't worry, it'll happen!! Cups are the way to go.
    15 bucks and change... just saying...

https://t.harborfreight.com/digital-...ale-93543.html

https://t.harborfreight.com/pack-of-...aps-66170.html

To each there own. Just trying the help.

If buying a scale and squeeze bottles are too expensive; the link below shows another method for mixing small batches of West Systems using disposable syringes. But, hey what do I know

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...950#post488950
    Last edited by longballlumber; 08-26-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Navherc130 View Post
    All I've ever used and never had it hit off differently! Only using Z-Poxy to....

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    The build is looking great.
    You are correct in regards to the 'blunt' overhang on the right ride pad. It allows the water to break away in the turns. Whereas the angled ride pad on the left sponson helps prevent it from digging in through the turns.

I trust you are enjoying the build as much as I do when I build an ML Boatworks kit.
    thanks, yeah i read that thing about 5 times to make sure i was correct. i had read thru the instructions 10 times before i even got the kit. most of it was confusing until i was actually building and then it was like "ohhhhhh i get it" lol.

in regards to the west systems epoxy, yeah the 207 is a 3;1 ratio. ill use that stuff when I'm laying carbon and coating the hull or doing larger areas. the g flex did ok for what i needed, and ill most likely use it when in bonding things.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    All I've ever used and never had it hit off differently! Only using Z-Poxy to....
    i used to use zpoxy, and had some luck with it, but i found it to be on the brittle side. it gets too hard i think. west systems seems to work really really well

anyways, the sponsons are as far as i can go for now. i need to find a good source for carbon cloth, so i can finish the insides of those off.

where are you guys going these days? i used to get it from kintec or KBB.

the main framework is up next. will post up when i get started

I've made some progress on center tub. I've just got to button up the nose and glue the sides on.
    I've taken great care to follow mikes instructions and use clamps and weights. the hull is going together str8 as an arrow
    IMG_4544.jpg
    IMG_4543.jpg
    and then i lightly coated the inside with some black spray paint. just barely enough to cover before i lay my carbon in there. i want everything to look uniform and finished
    IMG_4542.jpg

Try ACP Composites for carbon fiber products. They have lots of stuff and reasonable prices.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob horowitz View Post
    Try ACP Composites for carbon fiber products. They have lots of stuff and reasonable prices.
    Bob
    i forgot to mention, i ended up just finding so on ebay. 3k twill weave. i paid 15 bucks shipped, showed up in like 2 days, and is much larger then i thought i ordered. fair enough, ill do a couple of layers in the center tub anyways.

Im kind of at a point where the main framework is done and some finish sanding needs to be done before the sponsons get glued on. not sure if i should do my carbon inlay and interior sealing with epoxy before, or after gluing the sponsons in place.

IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4628.jpg
    THis morning I layed up the carbon fiber. I had 3k twill weave and used west 105 with 207 hardener. Two layers in the center section, 1 on the outer floor, and 1 on the sidewall inside.

Real nice touch with the black paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Real nice touch with the black paint.
    thanks man )

laying carbon is kind of a pita. i don't mind doing it, but ya know lol. I'm already tossing around paint ideas. not sure yet however

Do you have to use a special paint that doesn't react with the epoxy?

Do you have to sand it before epoxy?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Do you have to use a special paint that doesn't react with the epoxy?

Do you have to sand it before epoxy?
    I just used some black spray paint I had lying around. I tried to make it as minimal as possible. Epoxy doesn't usually react with stuff does it? I kinda always thought it's just one of those things that cooperates with everything.
    I heated the wood before laying the epoxy down. West systems recommends that over thinning epoxy to get good penatration

IMG_4661.jpgIMG_4662.jpgIMG_4663.jpgWondering if the overhang looks rite on the back of the ride pads and non trip, and does the breakaway require overhang?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast