Thread: Promarine boats

Default Promarine boats

Went to my local hobby shop and saw this brand of boat look well built what you all think aboat them ?

I do not own one myself, but from what I've read on this and other forums, the hulls are made by TFL, but to a thicker, higher quality standard than most of the TFL stuff. The running gear and electronics are nothing special, the hatches must be taped down, and there are no battery trays. I personally love the hull designs and the graphics/color combos are pretty good looking.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The first R/C bought was a Pro Marine MTR, still the only one I have. Being new to the hobby I wanted something that was rtr. I seem to have a "buy once cry once" philosophy when it comes to spending money and perceived value for that money, which is why I went with the Pro Marine. I figured spending more would equal more. I'll tell you my experience thus far, and you judge for yourself. Now for the good. First of all, I must say that anytime I contact Michael Stancombe, he gets right back to me to answer any questions I may have, and offers assistance and suggestions wherever he can, which is big. The radio is surprisingly good imho for an rtr unit, Ive never had a range, or glitch issue. I first ran the boat on 3s, which made it a piece of cake to handle, so time to step up to 6s.

That said, I had probably 3-4 runs on my boat, with probably 5-6 blowovers, a few of which landed right side up, and I got back in the throttle. I suppose it was one of these that loosened up the assembly that holds the motor and electronics to the hull. Idk the term for these rails that are glassed to the hull, but one day I noticed my steering was weird, and the boat wouldn't track straight no matter how I adjusted the radio. Pulling the boat in revealed that that track/assembly had come completely detached from the hull. Day over. I took it home, disassembled it all, roughed the hull up with some sandpaper, ran those rails over a piece of glass covered in sandpaper to assure they were true, and JB Welded it all back together, done.
    My next problem dealt with the stuffing tube de-laminating from the hull, so it was taking on water. I pulled that all apart, sanded and JB Welded that in, again gtg.
    Due to water being taken in, my receiver shat the proverbial bed. A few weeks later, and my new receivers arrived from China, only to have me either receive junk ones, or screw up the binding. This saga documented here: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...m-my-SSS-motor

MadProps and Newboater were instrumental in getting me all ironed out. Several other members helped as well.

I was rained out yesterday, so will try again next week, hopefully I'm gtg going forward. I love the styling of the boat, I bought the green one. I paid 535.00 plus 35.00 or so shipping from a guy in Fla. who was also very good, and customer focused. With 6s power the boat really boogies, I've pretty much got the cg. strut, and battery placement worked out, but these adjustments will vary to a degree, according to conditions, like any other set up, I imagine. As fweasel said above, the hull is made by TFL, there is a stencil saying so right in the hull, which was sort of a disappointment to me (Ive seen TFL boats sell for much less), but again, I have nothing to compare it to, so he may be right about it being made thicker, it hasn't suffered any structural issues whatsoever, so it is solid. The motor appears to be an SSS based on specs, so its pretty good I guess. I replaced the Seaking 120a ESC with a 180a Turnegy that I bought from a member here as I thought it was part of my receiver problem. I was going to do that upgrade anyway as I plan to go to a bigger prop when I get it all sorted out. But the ESC as supplied was fine so far. The steering servo is fine, but I opened up the water intake on the rudder a little bit, perhaps bigger hoses next.

I never discussed any of these issues with Mr. Stancombe, so I couldn't tell you his thoughts, but I can't blame any of my experiences on him. I've looked a his monohull, and would like to buy one, but I think I might want to build my next one myself, to make certain it was all done right the first time. Draw from my experience what you wish, but it is a nice boat...Good luck.
    Last edited by Linewbie; 08-07-2017 at 07:39 PM.

I have the skater and I must say I love this boat. For a RTR it has been really impressive. First run on 6s we flipped it over in the marina (salt water) blew off the cover and watched it floating tips up for 20min only lost the reciver and servo. Since that day I have run this boat through hell and back as I run it when out boating with the family. So if I blow over I just drive over and flip it back and keep on trucking I have seen it 10 feet in the air several times. And all I have been doing is greasing the shaft and double checking everything's tight and that's it. A few small stress cracks but that's it. No leaks always dry when the run is over I run cheap zippy 3s packs. And would recommend this boat to anyone. I wanted to change the strut to a better quality and have found the stuffing tube used is a strange size of 7mm so if there are any suggestions on a good strut let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Piazz; 08-13-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Promarine is one of the best RTR's that you can buy on the market right now. Also, the owner stands behind his products, and takes care of his customers. I've seen it first hand at a race this summer. The cats are really competitive and are starting to dominate.