Thread: Help for my 1/8 CT06 - How to mount the strut ...

Default Help for my 1/8 CT06 - How to mount the strut ...

Hi all !
    First, sorry for my aproximative english.

I've a CT06. In thi video, you will see how is jumping my hydro (the green boat).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yynSh-MfHqM

You can see in this album how is mounted the strut :
    https://goo.gl/photos/c7nPw86RBMEthybW9

My problem is realy simple, When I accelerate, the strut move. The propeler go down and the boat jump ...
    The fastening system is not strong enough. I have only one screw to block it.

I don't have any idea to fix it.
    Would you please have some photos, or links (shops?) of the systems that are used to fix your struts?

Thanks a lot,

JC

You need to have a space between your collar/drive dog and the back of the strut. The flex cable "shrinks" or twist up during hard running. The strut moving is a sign your space is not enough or not there. Use the diameter of the cable has the recommended space. A 1/4" flex shaft will have a 1/4" space. Nice boats! Some of those boats are running very good!

one thing you can try is to sand or "rough up" the 'outside' of the strut and 'inside' of the mounting bracket, where they mate with each other. if the mating surface is too smooth, no matter how tight you make it, it will slip again. if i understand what you're saying, that is.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    You need to have a space between your collar/drive dog and the back of the strut. The flex cable "shrinks" or twist up during hard running. The strut moving is a sign your space is not enough or not there. Use the diameter of the cable has the recommended space. A 1/4" flex shaft will have a 1/4" space. Nice boats! Some of those boats are running very good!
    Yes I know. But the space was smallest ... I will put 1/4" the next time !
    If i try to move with my hand the strut, the strut move ... Even if the screw is locked to the maximum!

Ive tried to sand inside the mounting bracket and outside the strut but with no results. The mounting bracket is Home made and may be too large. Other problem i think, i've only one screw to lock the strut in the mounting bracket.

I need to build another one. But i've no ... inspiration ... The mounting bracket in my hull is inside the boat ... He need to be waterproof ...

Yes, wondering why you did that... makes working on it difficult. Most modelers say rc boats run better with the prop running extended behind the transom. Actually, the true length of the boat, from a running perspective, is the tip of the boat to the leading edge of the prop. It's a way of extending the "functional" length of the boat. Having a longer boat helps prevent porposing. I don't think it's an issue on your boat. I have a single screw holding my 36" hydro strut and it never moves... I think it's an easy fix, just give it more room.

Yes, wondering why you did that... makes working on it difficult. Most modelers say rc boats run better with the prop running extended behind the transom. Actually, the true length of the boat, from a running perspective, is the tip of the boat to the leading edge of the prop. It's a way of extending the "functional" length of the boat. Having a longer boat helps prevent porposing. I don't think it's an issue on your boat. I have a single screw holding my 36" hydro strut and it never moves... I think it's an easy fix, just give it more room.
    I understand ... I've do that because my friends do this on the others CT06 ...

I will look to do that if i don't find other solution.

Thank you for your help. I will come back to say you how i've mounted the strut !

JC

Look forward to an update, good luck and may your numbers always face the sky!

good luck and may your numbers always face the sky!
    I hope !

One more question please.
    I will put the mounting bracket in the transom. But, the propeler will be rear the rudder ... This will be a problem ?

Certainly not ideal... That creates understeer. The leading edge of the prop should be even with the leading edge of the rudder. Can't you put in another bolt on the existing strut mount in the boat? If not, I would look for a way to extend the rudder out to get correct position. You don't want a tight race boat! I think your racing buddies would agree!

Thank you.

I will not put another bolt, My home made mounting bracket is not realy good.

I will mount this :
    https://www.modellbaucenterlorenz.de...r-strut-3.html
    https://www.modellbaucenterlorenz.de...t-3-typ-1.html

Next i will cut with my CN a new "arm" (i don't know the right word for this) for the rudder.

Thanks a lot !

Struts are on the bottoms of hydroplanes for scale looks as that is how they are mounted on the full size boats, most organisations that race scale hydroplanes will mandate that the prop, or part of its under the hull.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Heads up to Paul's comment, if you're racing check the rules before modifying. The bracket and strut look great.