Thread: Contemplating building a rigger for fun

Default Contemplating building a rigger for fun

Its been a few years, but lately I've been thinking about building something . I've always liked hydros, and always kinda wanted to build a rigger, just for fun or whatever. by the time i left fe boating, my rigs had become big elaborate setups that really kinda sucked the fun out of just a simple fe boat experience. I'm curious about the riggers steve sells and what it really takes to run one. the jae21-33 and the ml boatworks rigger. anyone shed some light on what it really takes to get any of these going? again, just want something simple. 4s max

thanks
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

I have had a JAE-21 for several years, it is as fast as I want for oval racing. It runs 12-second laps on the 1/6th mile oval and tops out in the upper 70s during a heat.

I set it up just like the simple instructions recommend. I run a Castle 1415/1Y, a Castle 200 ICE on 4S/5000 mAh and an ABC H-7 prop. Simple setup, turns awesome and fast as heck.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I have had a JAE-21 for several years, it is as fast as I want for oval racing. It runs 12-second laps on the 1/6th mile oval and tops out in the upper 70s during a heat.

I set it up just like the simple instructions recommend. I run a Castle 1415/1Y, a Castle 200 ICE on 4S/5000 mAh and an ABC H-7 prop. Simple setup, turns awesome and fast as heck.

thanks for the reply, Jay. good info there, tho i probably don't need to hit those kinds of speeds. i suppose the jae21 is a fairly simple straight forward build?
    i do really like the look of the ml boat works hull, but it looks like a bit of a tougher build
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

The JAE is a pretty easy build, but it is butt ugly! It's redeaming feature is performance - it rocks. A club member has one of the ML riggers but I have not seen it run.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The JAE is a pretty easy build, but it is butt ugly! It's redeaming feature is performance - it rocks. A club member has one of the ML riggers but I have not seen it run.

Yeah it's a pretty borIng looking hull, but I do understand they run very well when built correctly. The ml boatworks rigger is a lot sexier for sure, but not much info on them. I did look on ml boatworks website, and some of the hydros peaked my curiosity as well. I've always had a thing for hydros. Plus he did a great sticky on here about building them. I really just enjoy building something myself, and have no plans of rushing anything. Just something to keep me busy when I have the time. Any thoughts on the hydro hulls he has? Ever built one?

I've enjoyed the couple riggers I've had. I had a Tfl arrow (I've acquired another one needs rebuilding) and a etti demon. While they aren't on the level the jae is, they were still pretty fun and quick. What I don't like is lack of room for electronics and working on them and lack of room for batteries.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Yes, very tight layouts! Like building a freakin' submarine! I wonder if anybody has ever tried the batts in the outriggers and cable them thru the booms? Would be a nice weight distribution...

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I've enjoyed the couple riggers I've had. I had a Tfl arrow (I've acquired another one needs rebuilding) and a etti demon. While they aren't on the level the jae is, they were still pretty fun and quick. What I don't like is lack of room for electronics and working on them and lack of room for batteries.
    I agree, the tight space is a drawback as well as a point given to a hydro. I'm starting to think more about doing a gp or gsx hydro from boatworks.

I've got a DF Vortex 34, lots of room in it... fast boat too!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I've got a DF Vortex 34, lots of room in it... fast boat too!
    That's cool man. Nice looking hull for sure. But I am looking more for something I can tinker with for a while. Fiberglass or carbon hulls are great if you want to get something together quick, but there's nothing quite like building a wood kit I think. I'm in no real hurry to get on the water.

It's hard to go wrong with a Zip or ML kit. You'll be happy with either one.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with a Zip or ML kit. You'll be happy with either one.
    no doubt. tho now I'm thinking more hydro, and I'm kinda stuck between the gsx or the gp

The Sport Hydros are a bit more challenging to build than say the JAE, just take your time and have fun with it. I built a GP310 and really like it. It's a blast to drive even with a AQ2030 and a H5.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

The Sport Hydros are a bit more challenging to build than say the JAE, just take your time and have fun with it. I built a GP310 and really like it. It's a blast to drive even with a AQ2030 and a H5.
    thanks for the insight,Doug. yes after looking at Mikes build thread, i believe its well within my capabilities of building one. its been a while since I've owned anything rc, and really "fun" is the whole idea here.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    thanks for the insight,Doug. yes after looking at Mikes build thread, i believe its well within my capabilities of building one. its been a while since I've owned anything rc, and really "fun" is the whole idea here.
    Cool! Good luck with your build!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Cool! Good luck with your build!
    thanks buddy ) just placed my order for the GP 310