Thread: New/NEU 3660 motor. Opinions?

Default New/NEU 3660 motor. Opinions?

Just noticed OSE is offering a spec/lmtd size motor for 4S racing. Very cool. I am very much in favor of a limited "P" type class which there has been discussion of a 36X61mm rule. This allows motor manufacturers that don't make hulls to enter a possibly booming market. Think about all the Roar car motors that they get $90-$120 bucks for and sell them like popcorn cause guys just have to get the latest rumor of an advantage. 10.5/13.5/17.5/25 classes size and you have spent hundreds over time but not like you were forced to ante' up $400 or more to be competitive. One hundred is affordable and they churn out thousands.
    With a 36X61 can limitation spec racing won't die and may come to life a little more as guys just love to tinker. Tim the "tool man" and "more power" is engraved in most racers brains. Let the RTR manufacturers build and sell what makes their bottom line and we can put the equivalent of dual exhaust and 4 barrels on as we go.
    So are the 36X61 rules in effect anywhere? Good or bad? Our Southwest Florida local pond is making an effort with less than 37mm diameter and 62mm length, 36.99 legal and 37.00 out. 61.99 in 62.00 out. Just for easy understanding and round numbers.
    Has anyone put a new OSE Neu 3660 in a boat yet?
    Mic
    Last edited by HTVboats; 08-05-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Well. all I've heard is that Steve has sold about 10 motors so far and he says: " So far so good". Anymore and we need to wait until people chime in...

Steve doesn't sell crap unless it was slipped in the back door without him noticing. Not that that has happened.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    Has anyone put a new OSE Neu 3660 in a boats yet?
    We run 37x62 up here in MI. No particular motor is dominating. The fear that someone could just out spend someone isnt proving itself. In fairness though, the season isn't over either.

The TP 1950 is pretty nice mid range. Both of the Proboat motors are strong. Although I have a LOT more faith in the 1500 vs the 2000. Better construction.

We have run the OSE motors too. They run pretty well. My son wounded one but I think we were way to aggressive with pitch. I still need to try the 1850.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    We have run the OSE motors too. They run pretty well. My son wounded one but I think we were way to aggressive with pitch. I still need to try the 1850.
    What happened to the one you guys got a little hot with, and what was the setup? Just curious cus I've been looking at one of these, just been waiting to see what the verdict on them is

Ran the 2030 in a Stealth but with an H5 that had been outrageously modified. I don't think Ty realized which H5 he grabbed from the box. We have a few of them. Melted the enamel off the windings after the run. He drove it back to shore fine but once the heat soak started the motor was wrecked. Didn't even check the temp. There was no point. Smelled like the edge.
    Noisy person

Ya that might have been a little too much pitch haha. Ahh yes, that smell....I think I can taste it a little just thinking about it

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    We run 37x62 up here in MI. No particular motor is dominating. The fear that someone could just out spend someone isnt proving itself. In fairness though, the season isn't over either.

The TP 1950 is pretty nice mid range. Both of the Proboat motors are strong. Although I have a LOT more faith in the 1500 vs the 2000. Better construction.

That's good to hear, haha.
    Nortavlag Bulc

what is the best prop to run the osc neu 36x60 2030 kv on 4s for raceing

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    what is the best prop to run the osc neu 36x60 2030 kv on 4s for raceing
    What type of hull?

I think a good ole 42x55 is worth trying. Such an under rated prop. Works on most things too. Then you can tweak it to get a little more pitch without causing a fire. There is a newer and maybe smarter ABC equivalent with high rake but it's really tough to get ABC unless you're willing to buy it from a tuner like Dasboata or Buass. Both those guys do killer work but expensive when yer guess'n. Educated guesses but still guesses.

It's really going to depend on how "out of the water" the boat runs. Eventually I think I can get an M445 or to work but it will take some fiddling. Maybe an 1814.17.45. Again, guessing and depends on the boat.
    Noisy person

it is a pro marine

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    it is a pro marine
    What is?
    Nortavlag Bulc

the boat is pro marine

M445 is my go-to for most stuff

Terry, it's the "tweaking" that's the hard part! I'm gonna have to try bending some props some day... if you wanted more pitch, can you bend the ears down slightly?

I fear I'm leading you astray here. Takes a special type of pliers to do it well.

Think of the blade as a spoon. If you start messing with the shape of the spoon it throws more water per pass. That's an over simplification but you probably get what I'm saying.

There are guys that can and will check the pitch as they modify to verify exactly what they've changed. That's the right way to do it.

Some of us will eyeball it. Which is the wrong way to do it. haha
    Noisy person

Yeah, that's why I haven't eyeballed one, but I've been tempted! I'm a tweaker, for the good and bad of it. My best overall prop is the M445, which many like. Good thing about that prop is there are all sorts in increments around that size. So I just stick to what I know, S&B and de-tounging... I've got an S220 Prather that's close to the M445. Got a 1742-3 to try. Boat's in final paint now... That Vortex gets at it! Would love to have you drive it in a race... Above 55 my concentration gets behind the boat. That thing will hit 60 pretty easily. Oh, thanks for the course detail on another post. I've been wanting to set some bouys, maybe that's part of my problem, nothing relative to drive on.

What kind of hull are you running to hit 60 easy with an M445? That is a very good prop for a 36X61 on many hulls. On my tunnels, cats and mono's it runs mid to high 40's.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

It's a DF Vortex 34 with heavily modified sponsons. It's on 8s, running a 4082 1250kv motor and 150A SW ESC. Initial run was 53mph with a Grim 40X57 3 blade. The M445 brought it over 64. Prather S220 top was close, 62mph.

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    What kind of hull are you running to hit 60 easy with an M445? That is a very good prop for a 36X61 on many hulls. On my tunnels, cats and mono's it runs mid to high 40's.
    Mic
    I don't know anyone hitting 60 easy on the spec motor setup. It could probably be done but not easy and not for 6 laps and a mill.
    Noisy person

No, not a spec setup... it's 8s. I'm working on a 4s2p setup, but the speed will drop. Need a 2400kv motor and at least a 250a esc. For me, it feels like I'm going in the wrong direction. I only need around 100a on 8s to hit that speed, going over 200 doesn't make sense. I'm not going to run competition with it. It's an R&D boat for LiPo battery research. I design battery powered applications for O&G projects. I currently use lead acid AGM batteries and want to convert to LiPo. I have a device that helps to keep the carbon film in the battery consistent. I use the boat to run the batteries down, then apply my device during the charging phase. Many failures in the battery are due to carbon migration on the conducting film, causing localized hot spots. From there, you know the rest of the story. But I love hydros and I want it running good while I'm testing. If the device works, then I'll see first an improvement in battery resistance then it will hold that value.

The boat is getting final paint. Pain in the a--! I just replaced the crappy ul-1 turn fin. Had a side brace on it, but it was still bending. Boat would understeer like crazy. I'll post pics when done. I got a build post that I'll update. I know you guys are concentrating on competition, so sport boats aren't of a big interest to you. You guys have your hands full, that's for sure. I want 100a draws because the O&G application draws that for 5 minutes.

Oh, and all of this is a big, fat tax write-off for me!

If anyone is interested “richard” took first place at West Florida Model Boat Club
    P-LTD race series with the OSE Raider motor and a Pro Marine Skater hull last Sunday.