Thread: Found a great product for sealing wood boats

Default Found a great product for sealing wood boats

So working at the Hydro & Raceboat Museum today rebuilding the 1979 Squire Shop Unlimited hydroplane and I discovered a new product that may work well for sealing the interior of our wood boats. It is a two part epoxy that is water thin. It is called Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer.

http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/index.html
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Nice, saved in favorites.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hey Jim, this is Craig Pierce, Scotty Pierce's brother. We remember the boat well! We both spent a bit of time in the Squire Boat Shop. They also bought some Merlins from my dad's old boat, Parco's O-Ring Miss. So glad to hear it's being restored! I'll tell Scotty about that. Where are you doing the work?

Hi Craig I know of Scot been following the hydros for years as a Seattle Native but for some reason did not know of your Father.
    Billy Graham

Craig the work is being done at the Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum in Kent.
    Billy Graham

Man, Scott and I lived in Kent when we first came to Seattle, in 1979! I'll have to tell him where the old boat is getting a re-do. Do you have a Merlin for it? Scott is heading to Tri-Cities soon, he has a GP boat and it's running pretty good! He's not driving anymore, just the boat owner. I'm building a 34" fiberglass Hydro right now. I will be painting it his paint scheme. I'll try and grab a pic and post it for ya. It's a beautiful boat!

Here's a good pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hear the museum has most of the parts to build a Merlin for the Squire. Ah the mod l is of his GP Hydro.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

Yeah dad started it all. He had a Patterson 19' conventional 5 Litre Hydro back in the 60's. he then went into Unlimiteds with his first boat, Miss Dixi Cola in I think '68.. he then bought a Staudecher hull, which was the first Parco's O-Ring Miss. Freddy Alter drove both of those... he then had Patterson build him another hull, but it was very heavy. Lastly, he had Karelson build the last. Billy Schumacher drove that one. Dad died in '72' Scott was 16 and I was 14... We took the 5 Litre and ran it well for about three years. Then a 7-Litre, built by Don Kelson in '79. That's why we moved up. Then started getting into Unlimiteds. Boat racing goes way back for us!

The model is a bare hull DF Vortex 34. I put some sponsons on it, they look like something off an Unlimited! The thing just turns on a rail... they are actually close to the Kelson 7-Litre, asymmetrical sides. The angle of the right sponson is higher than the left, or outboard sponson. How do you like the aluminum? Makes it battle tough.. These models take so much force on them, the speed scale is so much higher that the full sized boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup looks great. All my experience has been in 1/10th scale hydros

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

Hi Jim; Smiths has been used in real boat restoration for years. It penetrates into the cells of the wood and will pass completely through 1/2" mahogany and thicker, if continuously applied before it dries. It stops moisture penitration which would normally cause the lignins in the wood to dry out as the moisture evaporates. Basically stabilizes the wood. Can be used inside and out to help prevent problems. We would then coat the hull bottom with Interlux 2 part epoxy sealer, before applying the bottom paint. Most wooden show quality boats restored with this can be used for years without very much maintenance. (check out Don Dannenberg boats) Smiths is the best...

Nice work.