Thread: Zelos 36" question

Default Zelos 36" question

Question for the experts. Zelos 36" 4 3s batteries inline, Dasboata x447 props, Wohlt wire drives.
    When I run the boat on a glass smooth lake the front end is loose and wants to take off tried strut settings from 4mm down to 2.5mm not much different maybe even a little worse at 2.5mm. The boat actually flipped at 2.5mm
    Run the boat again on a lake with a little choppy waves struts 3mm range it runs much better bow more planted? Don't understand what's going on? Speeds for both conditions very similar mid to upper 60's

Dont feel Im an expert but is it hopping or just pulling away from the surface? A lil chop is best for speed and control. Think of the air pockets between the peaks as air bearings. On glass its trying to suck to the flat surface and then the riser pads are trying to kick it up into the air making it hop and take flight.

I have been fighting the same problem. Mine doesn't bounce or porpoise. It runs flat and level on the rear 2 pads or so. The boat seems to respond to changes in set up, however, it also seems to just take off and flip at random. I doubt I will find find glass smooth water, but I have been running it in what I consider good conditions. I have been running my struts @ 2.5 with 4 3s packs as far forward as possible, ABC props. Similar speeds to what you are seeing. I am thinking I am going to try to disrupt the air flow into the tunnel by temporarily taping a dowel between the sponsons, under the bow.

Ya makes sense air has a cleaner path when the water is glass. Seems like mine just wants to take off not much porpoise. Also my struts are moving down 1-2 mm during the run. Trying to figure out a way to lock them down better. May be the wire drives

No expert here by no means! But I will tell you what worked for me back when I would run x447's. I ran 4-3s lipos strapped in about 1 1/2 inches up from the esc mounting area and the struts were on 4mm and it would run good on glass or chop. I've never ran the wire drives like you use, you might want to try regular stock cables to see if that changes anything. If they are making your struts come loose that might be an issue. My fastest was just over 72mph on x447's from Dasboata. My boat ran very well with the x447 setup and it was very stable. Here is a link to one of my 70+ mph videos using those props where I ran several passes with them. Maybe you will hit the sweet spot soon.

TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Unfortunately with 4 revoletrix packs I can only move them forward about 3/8" from the esc. Tried 4.5mm down to 2.5mm on the struts not much difference. Can't hold it full throttle very long or it will flip. Just doesn't run well on a glass smooth lake

Try putting an air dam on it. I use a piece of windshield wiper blade. Just the rubber part. Use rubbing alcohol to clean the flat surface of it and dry it out. Use 3m double stick with the red backing. It's dark grey tape available at the auto parts store. Put it in the tunnel about 1" back from the front of the tunnel. Here's an example on another boat with carbon tube

IMG_5393.jpg
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Tried this kinda makeshift but it didn't seem to make any difference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Move it back about 3 inches to where the black pinstripes end. You're still getting air on the bottom of the hull with it in the position you have it in. Try to mimic this one.

zelos air dam 2.jpg
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    Move it back about 3 inches to where the black pinstripes end. You're still getting air on the bottom of the hull with it in the position you have it in. Try to mimic this one.

zelos air dam 2.jpg
    Ah ha that's your secret lol. Thanks I'll give it a try. Seems pretty low profile But your boat runs great

Quote Originally Posted by REDLINE1 View Post
    Ah ha that's your secret lol. Thanks I'll give it a try. Seems pretty low profile But your boat runs great
    No... I don't keep secrets, I tell everything anyone wants to know. That was a picture that Darin Jordan posted a few months ago on the mod thread of his boat. I have never tried a dam on the 36 but I have on other boats. I actually lost a little speed with one before but it made it handle better and not as lifty in the front.

Ya now that u mentioned it I do remember that pic. I'll give it a try anyway thanks

No problem and hope you get it worked out.