Thread: Panel or Pistol?

Default Panel or Pistol?

Recently I've come across a small problem. I don't know which type of control to use. I have a panel control at home that needs a replacement receiver which would only cost me about $11. However I feel like a pistol remote might be better suited for operating rc boats. So i'm currently torn between $11 for a receiver or buying a new control for more. Is anyone able to help me figure this problem out?

For FE boats, and FE cars exclusively, I don't believe that either are better suited, it is just a matter of what you prefer to use.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

In my first FE boat I used an FM stick transmitter and had great success with it but I've since switched entirely to pistol grip transmitters mainly because of faster throttle response and reverse throttle in some cases.

I have found the Tactic TTX300 to be an excellent and reliable 3 channel pistol grip radio for my inexpensive boats.

If you are happy to trade half the resolution of forwards throttle for less throw which gives pistol sets the faster response and reverse throttle, all the name brand radio companies sell spring kits which allow you to spring the throttle to centre for just a few bucks. Several companies sell surface stick sets that come sprung to centre already, so you don't have to fit it yourself if that worries you, although in most cases a 6 channel air set and spring kit costs less than a 4 channel surface set (pistol or stick) with the same protocol from the same company.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I have used both and continue to use both but I do prefer the pistol TX just for ergonomic reasons. . .I feel more comfortable using them for my boats, cars and trucks which many are controlled with just one pistol TX. However, I see many use the stick radios with great success, especially in Europe like the Germans and their very fast boats that I've seen on YT. I supposed which ever you feel comfortable with and like more is what you should use.