Thread: My first boat

Default My first boat

IMAG0058.jpgIMAG0057.jpgIMAG0056.jpgIMAG0054.jpg

Hi I'm trying to identify this boat I received as I'm trying to get a manual so I can make sure it is set it up correctly & to get replacement parts for it thank you all for your time & help in advance Dan

I believe it is a Joysway Super X-Blaze. I know that esc and motor is by Joysway. This boat is no longer in production but you can still find a few parts for this but certain parts will be hard to find. I had this boat before and loved this boat. This boat is fast, agile and turns great. . .very fun boat. It was my one of my first boats that I bought a long time ago and like you, I wanted parts for it just in case something happened so I bought stock parts for it. I sold that boat and regretted it but I found a bare hull and bought it since I have many stock parts for it. I still haven't put it together. Unless you want to keep it stock parts might be hard to find. However, you don't have to replace parts like the motor and esc with stock parts. You can buy other motors or esc. You can even change everything on it but I understand your thought of buying original parts because that's the way I used to think when I was new to the hobby. Well, I have extra parts for this boat in case you want to keep it stock. You can check videos of this boat on YouTube in stock and modded/upgraded versions. If you're new to this sport this boat will keep you happy for a long time as it is a great boat. When you want more speed then you will eventually do an upgrade like thicker shaft and a better motor and esc. But I assure you the performance of this boat in stock form will keep you happy until you learn more about fe boats. But one thing you can definitely change now is that composite prop. You will need a metal or maybe a CNC prop. With the stock motor and esc I believe it came with a 40mm prop so stay within that size Octura X440 or try a three blade but a size or two smaller like a X437/3, M535/3 as a starting point and get high discharge 4S batteries. . .at least 45C but higher, preferably 65C, will be better for your motor and esc. As for batteries the greater or bigger the battery the longer the run time but also make the boat a bit heavier. I would say in the range of two 2S 4000-5000mah 65C will be great. However, upon a closer look your esc is set up for one battery with a traxxas connector where if I remember correctly, I ran mine with two 2S 4000mah 50C batteries.. So one 4S 4000-5000mah 65C with a Traxxas connector will be fine for yours. Have fun and welcome to the FE boating world.
    Last edited by Bp9145; 07-21-2017 at 04:11 AM.

Hi do you have a spare manual for it or know where I can download one for it

No I never received one since I bought mine used. But I think you can find it online. . .try this

http://www.ripmax.com/Instructions/b-js-9203h-2-4g.pdf

Also, I added a couple more info on my first post regarding lipos needed. Also, you might find some reading info that you can run this boat on 6S. . .NO DO NOT run on 6S . .4S max or you will blow everything up! Look at the esc I think it will state 2S-4S. . .hard for me to see the pic of the esc clearly but I remember I only ran mine on 4S because I've read somewhere you can run this on 6S with the stock components. . .NO NO NO. . .4S max! You'll have fun with this boat. In fact, I'm glad I came upon your post because I'm going to find my hull and build it up. . .
    Last edited by Bp9145; 07-21-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Thank you & I hope that you post some pictures of yours when you get it up & running I'm thinking 2 x 3s 5200mah 50c or a 2s 5200mah saddle pack what do you think

Quote Originally Posted by 002dan View Post
    Thank you & I hope that you post some pictures of yours when you get it up & running I'm thinking 2 x 3s 5200mah 50c or a 2s 5200mah saddle pack what do you think
    remember DO NOT RUN ON 6S. . .so if you get two 3S make sure you run it parallel not in series because if you run the two 3S in series you will be running 6S. But you can definitely get two 2S 5200mah run in series to make 4S 5200mah. You will have to either take the single Traxxas connector and put two connectors of your choice so you can place one battery on each side of the boat which in your case is each side of the motor. Another option is get another connector, this time an adapter to make your single connector to two this way you won't have to do anything but connect the adapter to that traxxas connector and you'll be able to run two batteries. The adapter will look like a Y where the single side will connect to your single Traxxas and the other two to your two batteries. I think 5200mah is just a bit heavy which will make the bow of the boat heavy and will make your boat run wet. . .then you will have to make adjustments to your strut and/or trim tabs which you only have one to raise your bow in case the 5200mah will make the boat run wet. I don't know it might run just fine because as I said I ran mine with two 2S 4000mah lipos.

Ok thank you for that & do you use the foam/rubber hatch tape under the canopy as well as the other hatch tape over the top? & hard case or soft case?

That is indeed the Joysway X Blaze but it is not the super version, that is the cheaper slower version. That used a 2 pole 2000kv FSD motor & 60a esc, this version also had the single narrow trim tab & the plastic prop. The super version had a different motor that was a more powerfull 4 pole motor & a higher amp esc + larger twin trim tabs & came with a 3 blade cnc prop. The version you have is still a good performing boat though.

As said do not run 6s, the esc is only rated for max 4s. If you look on the front of the esc it says 2-4s, you will also burn that FSD motor on 6s even if you upgrade the esc. The super version used an 1800kv 4 pole motor & 90a esc that was rated for 6s.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    As said do not run 6s, the esc is only rated for max 4s. If you look on the front of the esc it says 2-4s, you will also burn that FSD motor on 6s even if you upgrade the esc. The super version used an 1800kv 4 pole motor & 90a esc that was rated for 6s.
    I'm looking at getting a few 2s 4000mah but do I get hard case or soft case

As for keeping the water from getting in though the hatch what is the best way to go about it

Some have used hard case packs in boats, generally because they already had them. But most will tell you to go for soft case in a boat, theirs a couple of reasons for not using hard case. In a boat you will probably get water inside the boat & hard case packs are more difficult to get dried out also batteries tend to run warm in a boat, the hard case packs keep the heat in the battery which you don't want.

Even if you add foam around the hatch its difficult to get it watertight, even if you use foam seal also tape the hatch. I prefer using fixings + tape on hatches & not just tape.

It has a fixed pin & one screw that secures the hatch is it still worth using the tape as extra security just in case or not

Also, in addition to martin's comment, guys who use hard packs are the guys mostly into rc cars/trucks. They get into hard crashes and debris like rocks flying and god who knows what else under the car and so the packs must be protected. So soft case packs are what we use mostly and they are lighter as well since there's not too much worry about rocks or other things puncturing the packs while inside the boat. As for hatch tape, for most of my boats I use hatch tape outside sealing the canopy on the hull. But I do have some boats with rubber sealant around the opening of the hull and then there's either 4 or 6 pins to secure the hatch. However, at very high speeds using tape regardless if I have 4 or 6 pins holding the hatch down, it's a good added security to secure the hatch from coming off. Also, Martin is correct about the super version and the 1st version because I remember mine had two trim tabs and a more potent electronics, but I still used 4S at that time. When I find my hull, I'm sure I'm going to outfit it with at least a 180A and 36mm. . .maybe even 40mm motor and capable of running 6S. Should be a speed demon since it's not a very big boat. . .if I get to it. LOL

The boat you have their has been repainted as the original X Blaze was all white, the super X Blaze had a Bright red hull & creamy white hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    The boat you have their has been repainted as the original X Blaze was all white, the super X Blaze had a Bright red hull & creamy white hatch.
    So that is why it feels ruff in parts will that matter especially on the bottom of the hull so do I try & make it smooth or just leave it alone
    Last edited by 002dan; 07-22-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    Also, in addition to martin's comment, guys who use hard packs are the guys mostly into rc cars/trucks. They get into hard crashes and debris like rocks flying and god who knows what else under the car and so the packs must be protected. So soft case packs are what we use mostly and they are lighter as well since there's not too much worry about rocks or other things puncturing the packs while inside the boat. As for hatch tape, for most of my boats I use hatch tape outside sealing the canopy on the hull. But I do have some boats with rubber sealant around the opening of the hull and then there's either 4 or 6 pins to secure the hatch. However, at very high speeds using tape regardless if I have 4 or 6 pins holding the hatch down, it's a good added security to secure the hatch from coming off. Also, Martin is correct about the super version and the 1st version because I remember mine had two trim tabs and a more potent electronics, but I still used 4S at that time. When I find my hull, I'm sure I'm going to outfit it with at least a 180A and 36mm. . .maybe even 40mm motor and capable of running 6S. Should be a speed demon since it's not a very big boat. . .if I get to it. LOL
    I do race off road rc & that is why I have asked about hard or soft cases & I'll try & water proof my electronics as much as possible & just to add a bit of extra security some hatch tape & now do I need to add a second trim tab or not

you only should add trim tabs if the hull is asking for them. the tab you have on the right [ starboard side ] is there to counter act any torque roll that the prop produces so its doing its job, if your running the boat in a clockwise direct and the hull is riding well in the water at speed , you don,t need a tab on the left [ port side ] hull trim adjustments can be made by either moving the battery pack forward or back plus raising the prop up or down abit.

Thank you I had to check

As said the single tab on this X Blaze is to assist with torque roll, this version only does around 37mph. However the super X blaze with the more powerfull motor on 6s will do 50+ mph, at only 24" long it benefits from having the 2 tabs fitted.