Thread: Graphene batteries...can they catch fire like LIPO's if punctured?

Default Graphene batteries...can they catch fire like LIPO's if punctured?

As the title says. I have not purchased lipos in a while, and did some reading on these new packs today...What I have not found..and probably just missed it...but are these as volatile as LIPOs have been? I would gladly switch all mine out if the new stuff is safer. Let me know guys. Thanks, Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Lipo's aren't volatile. And yes, any lipo will light off if you puncture it with a nail.

That really answered nothing.
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

They are no more or less safe than any other lipo batteries.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    That really answered nothing.
    Well, what do you want to hear? I answered the question.

Why is the OP worried about a puncture? That is probably the least common reason to trigger LiPo volatility. Several years ago a club member shot an old pack with a .22 rifle repeatedly - no fire or explosion. YMMV.

I seriously doubt that "graphine" cells are "safer" than other recent cells. Always treat all LiPos as potentially dangerous. Gasoline is dangerous too, but most of us use it for a lifetime without problems.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Well, the articles I read about graphene as a conductor hinted the chemistry was safer, and fires were not an issue. What my main question is, has anyone purposely punctured one to see what the result was. I was not trying to be harsh to you prodrvr, but lipos are not all the same. The answer you had given was just very general, and sounded like it came from someone who really didn't have any clear answers on graphene in particular. Thats all, sorry to lash back. As the chemistry evolves, and it has many times since I have done RC, I always hope to hear of the removal of fire potential. Lets face it, a lipo fire is volatile! It is uncontrollable, and will take a house down. Now obviously that requires a certain situation to get them to act in that manor, and I practice and teach safe handling of the packs, but nothing is perfect. I am was just trying to see if this was in some way better besides the obvious, like longer cell life, and more stable if over discharged.

I run all graphene now. I don't know that they are any more stable though. Treat them as they are.....Lipo cells.

If you want to get safe.....r you could get a BatSafe. I've not had a fire in one (fingers crossed) but it's an extra layer of "please don't burn down my house".
    Noisy person

Well, I've been using lipo's exclusively for the last 10 years. The closest I've ever got to a problem with one is with is when I had no idea that storing in a very hot garage is a bad thing for them. My first lipo was a $152 2 cell from Maxamps. Used it twice. Left it on a shelf with my other nimh batteries. Go into the garage one day to find the battery puffed up. That's when I really began to get an education on these batts. They are a LOT safer today than they were back then. Here's one example: about six months ago, I was maidening a new plane and at an elevation of 161 feet, had a control issue and screwed it straight into the ground. Had a 3 cell in it that looked like an "S" after the crash. Well, nothing ever happened. It still takes a full charge, I.R. hasn't gone up, and it's still in use. Certainly wouldn't have been the case years ago.

That's pretty accurate I think. We still have to treat them with respect but they are less scary than they used to be.

I often wonder how many problems were a result of people not doing their homework before charging etc. Not balancing or over discharging just because we were all so ignorant.

My biggest problems anymore is when I do something dumb. A dead short. That kind of thing. A dead short is a real thing btw. Seems some of us have to do it once ever couple years. Suck but the cells still don't burst into flames. Your fingers maybe but not the cells.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    My biggest problems anymore is when I do something dumb. A dead short. That kind of thing. A dead short is a real thing btw. Seems some of us have to do it once ever couple years
    I just did that about a month ago. Shorting a 6 cell scared the crap out of me lol. Running batts in series is new for me. Never had the need to do it before. That one dead short experience was enough of a learning experience.

Ive only had one lipo problem in about 10 years. Flipped my car and didnt notice any damage to the body or battery packs. Cruisin home and one erupted in my front floorboard. I think graphines are a little safer just because they are more forgiving. More cycles, more stable and just flat out better discharge. Fingers crossed on the dead short.

I'm not sure if everyone is doing this but the better cells I've run have a layer of G10 or similar protecting the flat surface of the pack under the shrink. Think it helps a ton.
    Noisy person

I have run LiPos for over ten years and have not had any bad experiences with them. But I have personally witnessed LiPos burst into flames four times - all were cheap HK packs and three were apparently over-discharged and got too hot. Club members have recounted stories of packs which burst into flames while charging, I saw this happen once at an out-of-town race several years ago. Fortunately that pack was being charged in an ammo can and collateral damage was very minor.

No evidence I have seen supports the statement that "graphines" are any safer than newer previous LiPo chemistries. Believe whatever you want, but LiPo batteries store a LOT of energy. Buy decent quality cells and treat them as if they are a loaded gun, and you won't have any problems.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

My fingers have healed BTW. lots of power in 10s dead short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Howard
    That is good to hear, It did look nasty.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Yes graphenes can catch fire. I might have one I can shoot or puncture to show you. Lone-wolf had a graphenes lipo fire not long ago
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine too but I couldn't feel the end of my thumb for almost a week. Thinking back on it. I think I actually shorted 12s. No tell'n for sure what the hell I did. The arc welding like flash may have disabled a part of my brain.

Jay is dead on. Don't forget these suckers are capable of hurting us. No matter what brand, the C rating, or which generation. Treat them like they are dangerous because they are.
    Noisy person

I just got back into rc this year. I was still running my old nimh at first.
    I converted my old astroflight 110D charger with their new chip and bought graphene batteries. Wow do they pack a punch. Ive been charging them in a ammo box as I am nervous... But so far so good.

PS
    Hey TS I just found a h20 ufo mono bare unbuilt hull , that I bought many years backs. Do you still make hulls?

Quote Originally Posted by Rcsurfrider View Post
    Hey TS I just found a h20 ufo mono bare unbuilt hull , that I bought many years backs. Do you still make hulls?
    Holy crap. No,not anymore. Once everything went brushless we were all going too fast for plastic. I still have one left that I built super super light for N1 mono back in maybe 2006? Didn't even get paint. Flimsy POS. Raced it once at CAFE. Sitting ever since.
    Noisy person

I never ran cheap packs when I got into the FE game and have been fortunate. I've pushed hi end packs to the limits of their existence at record trials and no fires. I did seriously over do it to a pair of 5S 4200mah packs once when I set the T hydro 1/3 mile oval record. Had a killer run and at the end of the 2 laps they said it didn't pick me up, I yelled go again and stayed out. Smashed the record on that run but when I un-taped the cowl it smelled really odd and some purplish stuff had oozed out in the battery area. Put the cell % checker on them and showed nothing. Pulled them out (they were VERY warm) and set them in some sand away from everyone and told all to avoid that area. Nothing happened and took them home, gave them a salt water bath for a few days and tossed them. As others have mentioned it seems the issues have been with "budget" packs for the most part.
    Last edited by don ferrette; 07-21-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Holy crap. No,not anymore. Once everything went brushless we were all going too fast for plastic. I still have one left that I built super super light for N1 mono back in maybe 2006? Didn't even get paint. Flimsy POS. Raced it once at CAFE. Sitting ever since.
    It does seem light..

When I built my oval master offshore I put carbon rods in the strakes where I could fit them and added 1/8 plywood transom and inside the hull.
    I still have the Om it has one of Andrew gilchrists lightning man neo 05 13/3 in it.
    It's still runs light a bat out a hell on 2s lipo with rc hydros esc and x437/3 prop.
    Can't wait to try that on 3S with an x435 .