Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micro 12" wooden boat build

Yeah probably, they are not a cheap motor, but they are a good motor.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Yeah probably, they are not a cheap motor, but they are a good motor.
    Thx. They do look nice but to tool around the pond at the campground it's just not worth it to me. I ordered a 3s pack and a couple 27mm props from ose, one octura and one Fiberglass filled one. In my experience the plastic/fiberglass/carbon props reduce heat because they flex. If my estimation is correct it should put me in the high 20's mph wise and run cooler. 20,720rpm right now with a 30mm prop and 31,080rpm with a smaller plastic prop should pick it up some. If not the 27mm octura will. I'll be sure to make sure it's Thin and sharp.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Whats the height under the deck for your battery? I have some cheap 3s 1200-1800 packs from amazon that work good in a couple drones Lol bet they'd fit in there

Bout the biggest I can fit is 17mm tall, 35mm wide and 72-75mm long
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

These Tattu brand packs from amazon are the smaller one's I'm running in drones and my 1/18 crawler Lol. Some of the larger capacity packs might be a hair to big to fit

https://www.amazon.com/Tattu-Battery...words=tattu+3s

My Redzone Mini Hydro packs are 18x35x80 with connectors, if I took the connectors off the tabs and added wires as you would have they would still be to big at about 18x35x77 so useless to you, but as they only a tiny bit too big and are 3s 1700mAh I am sure that with a bit of searching you will find something that fits and has a lot more oomph than your 2s 1200mAh.

I ordered a zippy 3s pack the other day. I'll see if it fits. I may make some changes to the boat to fit more battery in it.

I'll get some more video if it this weekend. It should be a screamer. What kind of temps will the motor handle before it becomes a problem?

I don't like running motors over 80C, but you have no access to take temps of the magnets or armature on one of those, probably the best you can measure the coupling, as it is linked to the winding, but as it has relatively high mass and the best air cooling of any part of the motor, and is on a thin shaft the thermal path isn't great. Just know that it will be much hotter inside than you can measure on the outside, and cross your fingers.

Well I got my 3s pack in yesterday. Didn't fit. So I dismantled it and took the fiberglass plates off it and re shrink wrapped it, now it fits. I also made a plastics cooling jacket to try out and see if it helps any. It probably won't do much but everything counts. Props come in I'm heading to the lake.

Well I got my 3s pack in yesterday. Didn't fit. So I dismantled it and took the fiberglass plates off it and re shrink wrapped it, now it fits. I also made a plastics cooling jacket to try out and see if it helps any. It probably won't do much but everything counts. Props come in I'm heading to the lake.

Made a lake trip today. I put a smaller x227 prop on and it went 26.8mph and I was happy with that because it's probably closer to 30 with the gps off of it. Made several laps, nothing got hot so I decided to swap props back to my x430 but voltage was down to 4.02v. Still went faster at 27.2mph so likely over 28 with the big ole gps on it and probably 31ish with no gps. I need to find something smaller. Any ideas?

Nice little boat.....one way to get faster is increase a little the pitch of your prop if you are familiar to this mod.Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Still went faster at 27.2mph so likely over 28 with the big ole gps on it and probably 31ish with no gps. I need to find something smaller. Any ideas?
    My wife has like a fitness/gps watch and it records real time/max/avg speed. Ive looked around at cheaper ones on amazon. I need something for my rigger. Hers is a fancy one so its not going in a rc boat lol
    Last edited by Mxkid261; 07-25-2017 at 07:57 PM.

All the watch sized fitness trackers and GPS enabled smart watches I know of only update once a second, as opposed to the 10hz of a bigger GPS in order to get a decent runtime from their tiny battery. No problem if you are jogging at 10mph with hundreds of yards between turns, but don't expect sensible results at 20+ mph going round in circles on a small lake.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    All the watch sized fitness trackers and GPS enabled smart watches I know of only update once a second, as opposed to the 10hz of a bigger GPS in order to get a decent runtime from their tiny battery. No problem if you are jogging at 10mph with hundreds of yards between turns, but don't expect sensible results at 20+ mph going round in circles on a small lake.
    Well ya if you're doing 50ft circles obviously you aren't going to get an accurate reading Lol. I run on large lake's so I wouldn't have that problem, do a long pass and get your reading. I literally can't even fit the dynamite unit in my rigger, so what options do I have? A gps watch without the band is all I can fit. Strapping a $100 + gps to the top of a toy boat is out of the question for me Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Well ya if you're doing 50ft circles obviously you aren't going to get an accurate reading Lol. I run on large lake's so I wouldn't have that problem, do a long pass and get your reading. I literally can't even fit the dynamite unit in my rigger, so what options do I have? A gps watch without the band is all I can fit. Strapping a $100 + gps to the top of a toy boat is out of the question for me Lol.

I'm making a nice long "mini" saw boat pass like I do with my big boats. I've got the room for 100+ mph passes so I'm pretty sure I stretched this one out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    My wife has like a fitness/gps watch and it records real time/max/avg speed. Ive looked around at cheaper ones on amazon. I need something for my rigger. Hers is a fancy one so its not going in a rc boat lol
    Which one is it? I'm gonna need to get something because I have a micro cat I'll be laying up soon, about a 15" Daytona style cat.

I'm making a nice long "mini" saw boat pass like I do with my big boats. I've got the room for 100+ mph passes so I'm pretty sure I stretched this one out lol
    Ya I know you have the room lol

Which one is it? I'm gonna need to get something because I have a micro cat I'll be laying up soon, about a 15" Daytona style cat.
    I will ask her but I know it is a fancy expensive one that is too nice to put in a r/c boat lol, I think its actually an apple one. I've been looking at this Garmin vivoactive one. It will serve multiple purpose's for me, I can wear it while I'm riding motocross, cycling, swimming etc. Obviously the heart rate monitor feature will raise the price a little but if you're an active person like me it can be kinda handy at times!

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01...ords=gps+watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12