Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro 12" wooden boat build

Default Micro 12" wooden boat build

Hello fellas. Haven't been posting much. Life gets in the way you know! I kinda lost interest in boats for a while because of my surgery, flood and doing stuff constantly for everyone else (well it felt like it anyway! Lol). I have been pecking away at a couple boats for myself over the past few months. One of them is this little jewel that Jesse j built the hull for me. It's a 12" wooden cat. He did an awesome job on building it so a big thanks to him!

Motor: 2800kv outrunner
    Esc: unknown airplane 30amp (I think haha!)
    Flex: super small (bought that so long ago I don't remember)
    Servo: ultra micro spectrum (that thing is a beast!)
    Hardware courtesy of the ose store
    No name 2s 1200mAh lipo
    Octura prop x430

I apologize about my pics too. Photobucket screwed the pooch and I can't post them like I used to.

I don't have any full pics of it yet, I'll post tonight. I was too excited not to post what I have right now lol

IMG_8890.jpg

IMG_8889.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

Sorry the linkage is so big. Out of desperation to finish it last night and not have to make a hobby shop trip, that's what I came up with. I'll change it to the proper size when I can. The maiden will hopefully be at the campground this weekend

IMG_8892.jpg
    Last edited by kfxguy; 07-16-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Btw, I'm not sure why it turned my pics sideways. Sorry bout that. Video to come this weekend so stay tuned!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Hey Travis, here are some shots of my first attempt at airbrushing.
    Lettering from doityourselflettering.com

Plans are available to those up for the challenge. I have a build thread here for construction questions. You can see both travis's and mine in a parallel build.

Now, let's see what Travis does with this guy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

What size prop is that?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Man that thing looks really good! I'll look tomorrow but I think it's 26mm

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    What size prop is that?
    It's an x430 I detounged a little bit. May be too big but it's all I had. Do they make anything smaller?

Here's some topside pics

IMG_8907.jpg

IMG_8908.jpg

27mm is the tiniest. I have had BAD luck with detonguing... would not get up on plane!
    Kinda why I went with lower kv motor, 2700kv I think. If you go high kv, maybe a higher strut will help.

But... did you run it yet?
    Hardware looks great!

Do you have any pics of the esc? Mine is not water cooled and thermals after a bit.
    I found these guys have a bit of torque roll, thus my servo and esc, and battery... as far to the port side possible.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Wonder what I should do for paint? I like the wood look so I may leave the top wood and paint the bottom and clear the coat the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    27mm is the tiniest. I have had BAD luck with detonguing... would not get up on plane!
    Kinda why I went with lower kv motor, 2700kv I think. If you go high kv, maybe a higher strut will help.

But... did you run it yet?
    Hardware looks great!

Do you have any pics of the esc? Mine is not water cooled and thermals after a bit.
    I found these guys have a bit of torque roll, thus my servo and esc, and battery... as far to the port side possible.
    I haven't run it yet. It's been raining on and off today at the campground. Been at the pool majority of the day. I'll get a run in in a little while. The motor is 2800kv and I'm running on 2s for now. Not sure if I'll get the maiden on video but I'll try. I did add water cooling to the esc if you couldn't tell. I'll pull it out and take a pic in a little while. I used artic silver epoxy to attach some cooling tubes although I used an over kill 30amp esc for the job. Better to have too much than not enough you know. I think I'll order a smaller prop or contact jim at abc and see if he offers anything smaller.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 07-16-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Wonder what I should do for paint? I like the wood look so I may leave the top wood and paint the bottom and clear the coat the whole thing
    I love the wood look!

Good job on those Jesse.
    And latex out well Travis.

So fellas I just made the maiden run. Omg this thing runs better than I thought. I didn't run it for long but it let me know how it runs My son drove it longer than me, the esc didn't even get warm, the motor got a little warm so I may add a cooler to it later on to handle more abuse. The outrunner I'm using is weird, it has a can on the outside of it which I've never seen before but it has some good power. Check out the video. I'm very impressed

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I love the wood look!

Good job on those Jesse.
    And latex out well Travis.
    Thanks Shawn.
    If you want good lookin wood, I'd consider laying a final layer of 1/64" ply, after super smoothing, then get artistic with staining? Then urathene a top coat to a glass finish. Super styly yo!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I think what I'm going to do is just smooth it out (the woodwork on the top side looks fantastic) and then just clear it. Probably with either automotive clear or some upol.

Name for it?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Here is a recent vid of mine: https://youtu.be/dHzuyOpLMvk
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

So I decided to gps it (lmao!) and it did 17mph. I think it would actually go about 20 without the gps because I had to mount it on the front and it was running real wet, but was funny nonetheless. I think I could actually rinnthe prop a little positive from neutral where it's at right now. Running the motor with no cooling is proving to be a bad choice on my part but hey....for tom doing a little boat like this. I ran the batts to 3.78v per cell and the motor was pretty dang hot. Esc wasn't even warm. I checked the motor temp a few minutes after I got back to my camper and it was 156f! Lol. Time to make a cooling jacket.

MIMG_8923.jpg

It will do something, but don't expect the motor to respond to cooling as much as normal those Align outrunners in cans are a bit of a weird design and the can isn't in contact with the windings like an inrunner, or even the magnets like a brushed motor. You may end up with a cold can but little difference internally.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Sounds like time for a little bigger inrunner, Travis. I'll post specs on the one I'm using.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I have a few little inrunners here Travis, you are welcome to one. But remember the outrun era do run hotter and are designed for it. Maybe a little fan?

Lemme know what you have Shawn. The measurements on this motor is 28mm diameter and 28mm long (can only). I could go to maybe 30mm long in the diameter is smaller. Maybe a little longer. I'm running a 1200mah battery right now but I have a smaller 800mah one too. This motor is 3900kv.

I made some changes that should help it run cooler.

1) sharpened the rudder. Less drag
    2) flattened and smoothed the sponsons with sanding block
    3) got rig of that humongous prop nut (all I could find when I was getting it together) and put one that's the same size is the prop barrel. Just to give you an idea the prop barrel is 6.26mm and the nut was 8.9mm in diameter. Not too conducive for water flow around it.
    4) I put a small sheet of carbon fiber under the rudder bracket and steering linkage. You could see a stream of deflected water bouncing off something in that area, causing a lot of drag. that should help it.

I'm charging batts right now and I'm gonna got to the lake shortly. I bet I get over 20mph out of it. Lol

Ok ran it again. 18.4mph this time. Not much gain for the effort lol. I was mistaken that the rudder was causing the water to shoot up, it was the strut. Learned something new I can apply to my faster single cats. Stay tuned and if my idea works I'll share it with you guys.

Ran it once more. Didn't pick up much speed but the spray of water is gone and it handles much better. I think it could handle 3s. I may bump the kv down and go to 3s. It ran 18.8mph but with the gps on it it slows it down noticeably. It's kinda heavy sitting on top front of it lol

Here's a video

Last edited by kfxguy; 07-20-2017 at 12:03 AM.

I had to edit the first post. I had the kv wrong. The motor I have is 2800kv. Doh! Lol so I'm only Turning 20k rpm lol.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 07-20-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Ok well I don't think I'm of much help to you. I have a Velinion VXL which would be 28mm x 45 and 4000kv, a Leopard at 28mm x 47@ 4700 KV and a 25 mm x 45 at an unknown KV. Think it was a 2s in a NQD

Man I don't know what to do at this point. I was thinking about going to a 27mm prop and maybe 3s but I can't find a 3s pack that will fit. I'll keep searching. I need to pay attention how much mah I put back in the battery after I run it, this batt I'm running is elcheapo no name and it may not even be 1200mah like it says. I can't find a higher kv motor that will fit either.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Ran it once more. Didn't pick up much speed but the spray of water is gone and it handles much better. I think it could handle 3s. I may bump the kv down and go to 3s. It ran 18.8mph but with the gps on it it slows it down noticeably. It's kinda heavy sitting on to of it lol

Here's a video

You gotta love the little ones you can take camping with you and toss in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    You gotta love the little ones you can take camping with you and toss in the water.
    That's the whole purpose of this boat. I actually want about 25-30mph out of it, zip around a small pond and can put it in a small case so it's easy to bring and setup. Having to bring a big ole battery charger and tools and all the other junk to run a boat just isn't fun anymore. I need to find a small cheaper I can use for 2s and 3s receiver packs. Any ideas?

I have the little DF mono, and did have the NQD('s). But George took care of those plastic hulls. Damn sharp teeth!! Haha. And them hulls aren't $50 cheapie anymore.

Could you fit in a 28x29mm motor? if so maybe consider the Mega 16/7/x motors, the 16/7/3 5580kv and the 16/7/4 4420kv for 2s, or 16/7/5 3450kv and the 16/7/6 2850kv for 3s. As the 16/15/2 and 16/15/3 I run in my 450mm 500g mini hydros and cats run so cool (water cooled) I have thought about stepping down to the 16/7/x motors to save weight.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Could you fit in a 28x29mm motor? if so maybe consider the Mega 16/7/x motors, the 16/7/3 5580kv and the 16/7/4 4420kv for 2s, or 16/7/5 3450kv and the 16/7/6 2850kv for 3s. As the 16/15/2 and 16/15/3 I run in my 450mm 500g mini hydros and cats run so cool (water cooled) I have thought about stepping down to the 16/7/x motors to save weight.
    Yes that would fit. I looked those up and that little thing is $81, is that right? Little more $$$ than I care to spend on this thing right now lol. I did fin some 3s receiver packs that would fit, so I think propping down and more voltage would do it for me. Much cheaper route too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast