Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: *** NEW *** Pro Boat Veles 29 Catamaran

Thanks guys ordered a ose veles shaft and octura collet
    And a abc1716 dasbota prop

Good deal! Now you need one of these (because I know you will be wondering)...

http://www.advantagehobby.com/256353...iABEgKqL_D_BwE

Then go here...
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Yep already have 1 for my spartan

Default Stock Veles hits 80mph! (129kmh)

Quote Originally Posted by rcboone2000 View Post
    Thanks mark.I'm waiting for 80mph post with Chris the propmaster helping just a matter of time
    rcboone2000 you have waited long enough! More details on the "Veles fast list" here. Hat's off to Chris (dasboata) for the Awesome props as always!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlpdo0DxJ7w

veles 80mph pic in boat.jpg Veles 80mph.jpg VELES 29 129KMH.JPG

Last edited by MADRCER; 09-03-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added image
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Up goes the ante again. Congrats on a great run.

Thanks Vinny! It's just a number and I'm sure it won't be the benchmark for long...but 80mph for a stock RTR boat still amazes me. Now I just got to see what the Blue and Yellow one can do.

great job Mark I love that GPS !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    great job Mark I love that GPS !!!!
    Thanks Chris! Did you get the data log feature to work for you on the pc? That part is very useful and I've learned a lot about cycles batteries go through and when they peak during a run just by hovering the mouse over the trail where the boat has traveled. It has to be stellar for the cars your grandson runs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    Thanks Chris! Did you get the data log feature to work for you on the pc?
    Yes sir !!!!

As my name suggests I have a Veles 29 on order. First one came damaged so just waiting on a replacement. I ordered it from AMR Rc in Quebec https://amr-rc.com/en_ca/ I highly recommend them for their customer service. If your in Canada and looking for an RC I would give them a look. Free shipping over $79 in Canada, even the Veles 29.
    The box looked ok when I got the package but there were several small cracks around the hatch opening.

MADRCER thanks for all the videos. They are great. They helped me choose this boat. I have also been added to the list for a Dashbota ABC prop :) Now back to waiting for the new boat to arrive.

Also wondering if there is still a drive shaft issue? Should I look at ordering an extra one from OFE? I see they have an upgrade in stock? After waiting for a second boat , the last thing I want is to wait longer because the shaft broke. I also don't want to spend extra money if its not needed. This is my first serious rc boat and with all the batteries and charger ect its getting expensive lol.

Veles 29, Congrats on the boat! You're welcome and I'm glad you enjoy watching my videos! I do want you to know one thing up front. My boat is dialed in decent and you might see me making some laps and several wot passes in my videos with the "abc" prop on it, but I want you to know if you take yours out of the box and put the 'abc" prop on it and throw 6s at it your boat might last 5 minutes and the electronics will be burned up. First and foremost the "abc" prop can heat the electronics up quickly if you start running laps at wot and your boat isn't dialed in. This prop on 6s is for straight line runs ONLY (run a fast pass then run a couple slow passes then a fast pass). The dasboata 1716 prop works WELL on 5s also and the boat can do mid 60's running it with cool temps all day long (again...if you have your boat dialed in). As for the flex I wouldn't put a hard to get professionally prepped prop on the stock flex cable under no circumstances. My stock flex never broke but I didn't push it very hard either. But I've seen to many come apart at the crimp. I had some cables silver soldered up from a member on here and that's what I use in my Veles and UL-19. Take the time to learn your boat and how it handles and how it reacts to adjustments in different water conditions. Start out with lower voltage first such as 4s then move to 5s and then 6s (if you feel the need for speed). Do yourself a favor and buy you a temp gun and keep the temps under 140° and you should be ok. Good luck with it!

I just want to start out thanking everyone for providing so much detail in their comments. I have read all 9 pages and found this thread when researching this boat purchase. I was ready to pull the trigger and buy the boat until I saw someone state that this is not a beginner boat. I have just moved to waterfront property and will be buying a boat. I am 46 years old and hate buy something and quickly want something bigger and better. I tend to buy more advanced than my abilities and take it very slow and easy. Is there no way a newbie can learn on this boat? I was first going to buy the Spartan or M41 until I found this boat. I really really don't want to buy a starter boat if I can help it. Any advice would be great......
    Snarky comments also accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwardn View Post
    I just want to start out thanking everyone for providing so much detail in their comments. I have read all 9 pages and found this thread when researching this boat purchase. I was ready to pull the trigger and buy the boat until I saw someone state that this is not a beginner boat. I have just moved to waterfront property and will be buying a boat. I am 46 years old and hate buy something and quickly want something bigger and better. I tend to buy more advanced than my abilities and take it very slow and easy. Is there no way a newbie can learn on this boat? I was first going to buy the Spartan or M41 until I found this boat. I really really don't want to buy a starter boat if I can help it. Any advice would be great......
    Snarky comments also accepted.
    This boat hands down over the plastic Traxxas boats and Yes, even for a Newbie. This boat requires the maintenance of every other boat on the market. Just run the boat on 4s stock out of the box and then as you progress and learn to adjust the boat then go up in cells and props. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Thank you for your input. For the money I feel this is a better boat. Local hobby shop wanted to sell me 3S batteries and only Dynamite Reaction. Were they wrong. Do they make a 4S or is that why he was pointing me to their 3S. I do plan on running it stock. Seems more than fast enough for my needs.........for a while.

Had a rainy weekend so figured I'de take out the veles for it's second run. Went about 20 feet ,punched it and the shaft broke. Guess I'll call Monday. Sucks the prop goes with it.
    Happens. Had the boat for a few months. Ran one set of batteries then winter hit and it sat.
    Now I'm going nuts I wanna see this thing go lol

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfueled View Post
    Had a rainy weekend so figured I'de take out the veles for it's second run. Went about 20 feet ,punched it and the shaft broke. Guess I'll call Monday. Sucks the prop goes with it.
    Happens. Had the boat for a few months. Ran one set of batteries then winter hit and it sat.
    Now I'm going nuts I wanna see this thing go lol

I’m surprised that proboat hasn’t addressed this problem yet. Sending replacement shafts that do the same thing isn’t helping. Hopefully they get that squared away because it seems like an awesome little boat.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I have had a chance to take my Veles out twice now. First run was nice and easy just to get the feel of it. Today was the second run. Right off the dock and give it some good throttle, boat goes nice and then seems to cut out. I panic a bit thinking the drive shaft went as I had not installed the OSE drive shaft(I just installed it before this post). Wait a couple seconds then it works fine. I bring it back and check it out. Everything looks ok so back out on the water. Some easy runs for a bit. After a few min of running it does it again. Cuts out then after a couple seconds is fine. Water is coming out of the coolant pipe but not sure if its enough water coming out. There is a pretty sharp 90' bend in the coolant hose at the esc as it goes out one side and in the other. Not sure if I should get a bit more hose to straiten the curve a bit. Its not kinked, just a sharp turn. I am running the stock prop and 2x SMC 5400mah 104amp 50c batteries. At the end of the run I remembered to check the temps. The motor was 114'f and the esc was 148'f. So I think I am over heating the esc and causing it to cut for a second. I think I should go for a smaller prop but not really sure. Also is there a recommended voltage to set my voltage alarm to? I have it set to 3.7v right now. I had heard you should not get the batteries below 3.6v? This boat is fun for sure. I cant wait to drive it at full throttle for more then 1.5 seconds hahaha. Its so fast.

If it's cutting out right off the dock then you may have a bad battery or an esc problem. But if it happens after you have been running wot laps on 6s with the stock prop (which isn't recommend) you are probably overheating the esc and its going into thermal shutdown (it will go into thermal shutdown around 170°). If you want 6s wot runs use one of these three Pro prepped props, a Prather 220, or an Octura x442, or x642 and you will be able to still get around 60mph if you have a good setup. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info on the props. I took the boat out this morning with the new OSE drive shaft and octura coupler. Get to the middle of the lake and then the boat stops but I can hear the motor running. I wait a while for the boat float in a bit then tired my rescue boat(still needs some modifications to make it work better) but got both boats back. The drive shaft was spinning in the octura coupler. I tired to tighten it again but still after 3 seconds of light use the driveshaft spins loose. Are there any tips to tightening the drive shaft to the coupler? I have tightened the coupler as much as I though but maybe still not enough. Do I need normal size wrenches? my wrenches are small hobby. I just don't want to break anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Veles29 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the props. I took the boat out this morning with the new OSE drive shaft and octura coupler. Get to the middle of the lake and then the boat stops but I can hear the motor running. I wait a while for the boat float in a bit then tired my rescue boat(still needs some modifications to make it work better) but got both boats back. The drive shaft was spinning in the octura coupler. I tired to tighten it again but still after 3 seconds of light use the driveshaft spins loose. Are there any tips to tightening the drive shaft to the coupler? I have tightened the coupler as much as I though but maybe still not enough. Do I need normal size wrenches? my wrenches are small hobby. I just don't want to break anything.
    It would be ideal to use normal size wrenches. The first time when it spun on the shaft it probably wore the coupler and shaft down. Normally they won't tighten up properly after they have been spun. You might need a new coupler and a new cable depending on the damages. You can try to clean the coupler groves out real good with a razor blade and make sure no solder is in them and it might tighten up, if not you'll have to replace them.

I had the same issue with my veles, slipped the coupler on the flex. I know it was tightened properly. Don't know why it slipped. In the end, the flex was destroyed. However, I was able to remove the coupler, clean out the solder that was jammed in there,still using the same coupler today.

I’ve had trouble with the Octura coupler. I’ve gone to OSE coupler, but I’ve had the really put the daddy-tight on those too. It’s a lot of HP on a small, round shaft, so the situation is not ideal. I would like a square end, but know it is very difficult getting the square exactly in the middle of the shaft. Also, be sure there is no grease on the end and clean the coupler (take out of the boat) with brake cleaner every once in a while. I clean the shaft with acetone on a rag before each insertion.

I have found that some .187" cable to be undersized, I have some Octura cable that is only .180" & some Aeromarine that is .183", as said some couplings can be a few thou oversize on their bore. Some cable appears to be tight initially but as soon as prop load is put on the cable slips causing damage to the flex & coupling.

Funnily enough I have found that the .187" flexes from Chinese suppliers or what came in TFL Hobby boats to be bang on .187" with no slippage at all.

I wanted to let you guys know that I have a few extra upgraded stock replacement flexes if you need one. Pm me. These are soldered ones like I made for MADRCER.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I wanted to let you guys know that I have a few extra upgraded stock replacement flexes if you need one. Pm me. These are soldered ones like I made for MADRCER.
    Guys these cables are top notch and very good. Mine have held up to several 75-80mph runs with no issues at all. I have them in my Veles, Geico 29 v3, and in my UL-19. If you want to come back to shore with your high dollar prop I highly recommend these.

6222.jpg
    Last edited by MADRCER; 05-29-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added pic

I started polishing them for now on. It doesn’t take much time but I feel it’s worthwhile addition and will cut down some friction. I actually hit it with 2000 grit and then polish paste.

I took the Octura coupler apart and there was lots of little pieces/balls of metal. I cleaned it out and chased the threads. I also got some normal size wrenches and that made the difference. I tightened it very hard and its holding good at this point. The end of the drive only had some very minor scuffs. I also cleaned the end of the driveshaft well. Thanks for that tip.

Now on acceleration is seems like its a rubber band. It will get on a slow plane, give it a touch more throttle and then it really accelerates about 15-20km/h faster. It also sounds/feels like there is a fair bit of vibration. I think I might need to adjust the motor position to align the driveshaft better. I had to take the motor out to install the octura coupler/OSE driveshaft. It did this a bit before with the stock driveshaft but its much more pronounced now. Before I installed the OSE driveshaft it seemed to get on slow plane then a bit more throttle and jumps 7-10km/h. It sounds like the motor is working pretty hard right before jump in speed. Are there any posts regarding motor/driveshaft placement/setup.

Kfxguy makes some high quality flex cables, and his customer service is top notch. If you havnt got one from him just go ahead and do so. After a mishap today i messaged him, he had it made up and packaged up before i could send the paypal.

Great guy.

first quick&dirty runs of the modified veles today
    rather hot setup using a 2400 kv motor on 6s.
    still experimenting with the cog,as the motor is rather heavy-4086
    got 82,5 mph at the best on a self balanced and sharpened abc 1616.
    next prop will be the 1716.

https://youtu.be/7PJ_B17iwSg

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast