Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: *** NEW *** Pro Boat Veles 29 Catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyp View Post
    At least your flex didn't fall apart!!
    Call product support and ask for a replacement. Unfortunately things happen in mass production. The part number is PRB282048.

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    Here is the 70mph run. The boat still needs a little tweaking.The temps are higher than normal because this run was right after my initial all stock 60mph run and the rain was about to start back, so I couldn't wait as long as I would like to have before going back out. "warranty is up"!!! (as Chris says). I got to thank him again as well....Thanks to Chris for the Awesome Prop that helped me get in the 70+mph club again with another stock boat.

Attachment 153778

Wow, that's way more than I ever expected to see from this boat in stock form. Honestly, my focus when I designed the hull was on creating a boat that would handle corners and speed and be 100% different than the V3 29" hull. I was never too interested in top speed capable with the stock system. Good job!!
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Yes, when I get home this afternoon. I do know that the bolt holes are exactly the same as the Geico v3 if that helps any until I get in front of the boat. I believe the width of the strut pad is slightly wider than the Geico's pad but the holes are the same.
    Thx. Just pm me if you don't mind
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Wow, that's way more than I ever expected to see from this boat in stock form. Honestly, my focus when I designed the hull was on creating a boat that would handle corners and speed and be 100% different than the V3 29" hull. I was never too interested in top speed capable with the stock system. Good job!!
    Thanks Rafael!
    Last edited by MADRCER; 09-18-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Madrcer - happy to see you got one of the first veles 29's since you post and video your boat. Been enjoying all the runs.

Yes, I believe so. I had a slight conservative battery placement and lower than I like to run strut position on this run because I was a bit gun shy because of some 60mph bow lift that I had experienced on with another set up earlier and I didn't feel like possibly having to rescue it in the rain.. lol! I might not attempt another all out hard run until I have some insurance in the form of an upgraded cable though.
    Nice run, what was the strut height in relation to the bottom of the sponsons & was it a negative angle on the 70mph run. Many thanks.

For those who don't have the boat and are curious, I set the strut even with the last step, out of the box. As you can imagine, the flat bottom strut does indeed act like a trim tab and is an integral part of keeping the boat stable in a straight line. The ride pads run the full length of the hull, unlike the V3 29" hulls. Each step drops down 2mm. This also makes the hull able to handle higher speeds without flipping backwards. Out of the box, I recommend running the packs as far back in the trays as possible, and moving them forward as necessary. This helps the boat run on 1/2 the middle pad and rear pad, which yields the best straight line performance as the front end airs out. If you intend to run a larger prop on less voltage, you will have to lower the strut or the prop will be too high and will cavitate; too much of the prop will be out of the water. Its a very easy boat to tweak because it needs very little adjustment to see a change.

Hope this helps.
    Rafael Lopez

For those who don't have the boat and are curious, I set the strut even with the last step, out of the box. As you can imagine, the flat bottom strut does indeed act like a trim tab and is an integral part of keeping the boat stable in a straight line. The ride pads run the full length of the hull, unlike the V3 29" hulls. Each step drops down 2mm. This also makes the hull able to handle higher speeds without flipping backwards. Out of the box, I recommend running the packs as far back in the trays as possible, and moving them forward as necessary. This helps the boat run on 1/2 the middle pad and rear pad, which yields the best straight line performance as the front end airs out. If you intend to run a larger prop on less voltage, you will have to lower the strut or the prop will be too high and will cavitate; too much of the prop will be out of the water. Its a very easy boat to tweak because it needs very little adjustment to see a change.

Hope this helps.
    If you lower the strut with a bigger prop won't more prop be in the water? Am I missing something? And by adding a bigger prop won't more prop be in the water with no changes?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Hey Rafael, I was curious why the steps appeared more shallow on Veles compared to the MG V3 hulls. I know there is quite a bit of controversy on steps and their affect on speed. Was in your take on this?

Also, interesting to see that a flat bottomed strut is used. I thought flat bottomed struts were mostly for older hydros that needed the stern lift. However, I can see where maybe a cat could benefit if it's "flightly" in the nose. This makes me want to flatten the strut on my MG V3 to test it.

There is a 45 minute "Veles live chat" question and answers video on Pro Boat's Facebook page that explains the differences between the Geico and Veles. If anyone wants more info between the two and why the Veles is designed the way it is. A lot of people's wonders will be answered in the video.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialProboatModels/

Screenshot_2017-09-14-14-00-00.jpg

Flattrack in order to grind enough off the Geico strut to make a difference you would be well into the bushings. I don't recommend that. Also, if you are running the Geico strut flat on the table you most likely have a slow wet AMP hungry boat, if it's in stock form. The flat Veles strut width is quite a bit wider than the standard round strut. So the smaller round strut wouldn't work too well for a whellie bar ... lol.
    Last edited by MADRCER; 09-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    If you lower the strut with a bigger prop won't more prop be in the water? Am I missing something? And by adding a bigger prop won't more prop be in the water with no changes?
    That's the intent. A surface piercing prop will always find it's center line in the water, but if you try and take off with a large prop, set too high, all it will do is suck in air and causes the boat to putt around and never get on plane; cavitating. So you either lower the strut or you will have to hand toss the boat and pin the throttle and hope you never have to get off the throttle enough for the boat to jump off plane.
    Rafael Lopez

A surface piercing prop will always find it's center line in the water
    A detail I did not know, and helpful in understanding what is actually happening when adjusting strut and prop heights. Thanks!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by flattrack View Post
    Hey Rafael, I was curious why the steps appeared more shallow on Veles compared to the MG V3 hulls. I know there is quite a bit of controversy on steps and their affect on speed. Was in your take on this?

Also, interesting to see that a flat bottomed strut is used. I thought flat bottomed struts were mostly for older hydros that needed the stern lift. However, I can see where maybe a cat could benefit if it's "flightly" in the nose. This makes me want to flatten the strut on my MG V3 to test it.
    The steps are shallow because they are actual steps. The V3 hulls has wedges instead of steps and they all lay flat against a flat surface. That's great for skimming across the water, it's what causes the drift effect in those boats, but not great for all around performance.

Steps allow the hull to aerate between the steps causing less surface tension with the water, resulting in higher speeds. This is why this boat, out of the box is much faster than the V3 hull. The motors are both 2000kv. The small diference in wattage is wont come in to play until you load the motor up more. This is not my take, it's a fact which I found through studying boat hydro dynamics.

A flat bottom strut is for tunnel hulls, regardless of age or design, though some may benefit from it more than others. It's a trim tab and like all tabs add length to the hull and make adjustments more precise. The hull didn't need it, but I thought it was a unique feature, unlike anything on the market. It also makes tuning very easy. A little negative or positive goes a long way, and making products user friendly is what progression is all about. It also allows the hull to be aired out more and I feel is key to people seeing 70 out of the stock boat without it getting flighty or out of shape.
    Rafael Lopez

Opps, double post.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 09-19-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Rafael Lopez

Rafael, I remember in the FB live chat, there was mention of stepping down each step by 2mm. Does this mean the boat, while level on a table, will sit on rear step only with the remaining forward steps not touching the table (assuming something is supporting the front)? I'm just trying to understand what you mean between real steps and "wedges". Us cheap Miss Geico guys are looking for every advantage we can squeeze. Maybe somebody can post a side view of the Veles with a straight edge on sponsons?

Quote Originally Posted by flattrack View Post
    Rafael, I remember in the FB live chat, there was mention of stepping down each step by 2mm. Does this mean the boat, while level on a table, will sit on rear step only with the remaining forward steps not touching the table (assuming something is supporting the front)? I'm just trying to understand what you mean between real steps and "wedges". Us cheap Miss Geico guys are looking for every advantage we can squeeze. Maybe somebody can post a side view of the Veles with a straight edge on sponsons?
    The boat rest on all pads, it's just that the front portion of all the pads that step down but level back out. See photo of mine.

If anyone is wondering I didn't get to do a 4s run today because one of my zippy's went bad apparently during storage. One cell was at 2.4 volts and wouldnt charge up. I tried to hot flash it as a Nimh but still nothing.

20170915_205219.jpg
    Last edited by MADRCER; 09-16-2017 at 12:20 AM.

I got the flex from vinnyp but I still need a measurement. Can someone measure from the backside of the drive dog to the tip of the flex where it goes in the motor. That would help greatly. Thx

Travis,
    I got the replacement flex from Horizon today. The attached pic should be what you need. From the end of the drive dog to the end of the flex measures 11 13/16"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks!

The boat rest on all pads, it's just that the front portion of all the pads that step down but level back out. See photo of mine.

If anyone is wondering I didn't get to do a 4s run today because one of my zippy's went bad apparently during storage. One cell was at 2.4 volts and wouldnt charge up. I tried to hot flash it as a Nimh but still nothing.

20170915_205219.jpg
    The boat rests on a table on all 4 steps, as you have illustrated with the ruler. However, when setting the strut one must only measure from the last step. I specified that the strut come set from the factory even with the last step.

What I do is take out the break away bolt from the rudder, loosen the 3mm rudder bolt and fold it up out of the way. Loosen the strut bolt and place the boat on the edge of a table, on the last step, so the strut is even with the last step and also parallel to the table. Hope that makes sense.
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    A detail I did not know, and helpful in understanding what is actually happening when adjusting strut and prop heights. Thanks!
    No Problem. This video gives an idea of how surface piercing props work on a 1:1 performance boat. Forward to about the 1:00 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of1RY4M8VqM
    Rafael Lopez

No Problem. This video gives an idea of how surface piercing props work on a 1:1 performance boat. Forward to about the 1:00 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of1RY4M8VqM
    Pretty Cool! Thanks for posting

The boat rests on a table on all 4 steps, as you have illustrated with the ruler. However, when setting the strut one must only measure from the last step. I specified that the strut come set from the factory even with the last step.

What I do is take out the break away bolt from the rudder, loosen the 3mm rudder bolt and fold it up out of the way. Loosen the strut bolt and place the boat on the edge of a table, on the last step, so the strut is even with the last step and also parallel to the table. Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks Rafael, understood. I'm waiting for my upgraded flex to arrive then I plan on unleashing some good power to the boat. I have talked myself into waiting and not pressing my luck with the stock flex, I'm not saying that it wouldn't potentially handle the power it's about to see but just playing it safe lol...
    Last edited by MADRCER; 09-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.

I have talked myself into waiting and not pressing my luck with the stock flex, I'm not saying that it wouldn't potentially handle the power it's about to see, but just don't want to loose the prop lol...
    Fixed.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Honestly if you're going to try and get some serious speed run I'd order a 3/6 shaft and pull the liner out. I'd hate for you to lose an expensive prop. OSE sells generic sizes which you can cut to length.
    Rafael Lopez

Thanks Rafael, understood. I'm waiting for my upgraded flex to arrive then I plan on unleashing some good power to the boat. I have talked myself into waiting and not pressing my luck with the stock flex, I'm not saying that it wouldn't potentially handle the power it's about to see but just playing it safe lol... Meanwhile the Zelos might get a run before dark tonight if the rain holds off.
    Parts should be here before the week is out. It's already shipped to me

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Parts should be here before the week is out. It's already shipped to me
    Great Travis.. Thanks

The mystic flex shaft workers in the veles I pulled out my heavy duty ose shaft out of my mystic and it's the same as the Velez.I just ordered a new shaft from ose for the mystic

Quote Originally Posted by rcboone2000 View Post
    The mystic flex shaft workers in the veles I pulled out my heavy duty ose shaft out of my mystic and it's the same as the Velez.I just ordered a new shaft from ose for the mystic
    Nice find
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I need some help fellas. I'm on the fence about buying a Veles. I can buy one for $430 shipped. However I don't want/need the esc, motor and radio/receiver. How much do you think those items could sell for? I come out cheaper doing it that way vs ordering hull and hardware. Plus my local hobby shop has one in stock so I wouldn't have to wait. If I could recoup a decent amount of my money I'd get one. Thoughts?

I was thinking $40 for radio/receiver, $60 motor and $75 for the esc. Fair?

According to my measurements the Mystic cable is too short. My cable is 13 3/16 inch long and the Mystic cable is 12 13/16 inches long (according to OSE). Can you still get 5mm gap at the drive dog with enough cable in the collet to hold it? and last but not least will a fat ABC prop fit on the back along with the locknut with the shorter cable? Post some pictures of the two cables side by side if you don't mind. I was beginning to think that me, Vinny and the kid on you tube were the only owners of this boat..lol
    I'm glad you said this. I'll have to set these shafts up to make sure they easily fit the stock and abc props

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast