Thread: massive motor in an MG29??

Default massive motor in an MG29??

I just scored an Atomik 120 amp ESC, and the 11kv outrunner from the 58 inch Atomik catamaran brand new for $100. I have my MG29 that i am thinking about putting it in until I get myself a larger hull to build.
    I know I will have to alter the canopy to fit it, which is fine.

The questions are will this destroy my boat??

I see the stock Atomik does not have a water jacket, and only a cooled mount. Can I run the motor without a jacket?

What hull would be a good choice to build when the winter comes?

Last edited by JimClark; 07-09-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Cool

That motor won't "destroy" the MG but it isn't the best choice. The Kv is too low for 4S and will require 6S for decent speed. It will spin a huge prop, which would cause no end of handling issues with the little cat. You can make it work, but why is up to you.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I wouldn't do it. The mass of the larger rotor would cause the boat to roll and handle funky. Why not sell it and get the correct motor? An insanely large motor for a given hull does not make it automatically faster. You need to match the motor and boat together.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Great motors here from budget to some of the best.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/ca...php?cat=Motors
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks guys. With the exception of "I'm with Stupid" up there, I appreciate the help.

I will look at the selection.

How important is 6 vs. 4 pole on the motors for boats?

Should I stick with same Diameter, or go larger?

I would be looking in the 1500kv to 1850kv, I would assume.

For sport use 4 pole motors are just fine. A 6 pole motor is harder on a controller and there are less of them to choose from.

The Aquacraft and Proboat 6 pole motors are good as 6 pole motors since they are very small and the extra poles help it develop power. These are factory replacements and sometimes used for limited class racing.

a 4074 SSS or 4082 SSS can do very well in a geico. Just make sure it fits. There are many MG29 mod threads.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    For sport use 4 pole motors are just fine. A 6 pole motor is harder on a controller and there are less of them to choose from.

The Aquacraft and Proboat 6 pole motors are good as 6 pole motors since they are very small and the extra poles help it develop power. These are factory replacements and sometimes used for limited class racing.

a 4074 SSS or 4082 SSS can do very well in a geico. Just make sure it fits. There are many MG29 mod threads.
    Alright. I will stay with in these parameters. Seems $79 would get this done quite easy. I am thinking of selling all of the Atomik stuff I got, and getting a Seal 160 Amp, or the SeaKing 180. 4074 size 1500-1750KV, seems to be a good fit.

Chris Fine once asked me if I was building a boat or a torpedo. I like big motors too but sometimes it's too much.

There are multiple ways to go faster with a motor swap. 36mm is an easier job. No tail rings to replace and move.

I can tell you though that the hulls aren't really built for impact so if it takes flight and then hits the water it can go badly. Guys that are turning up the wick on the Geico often reinforce accordingly.
    Noisy person

I think I am going to choose the Leopard 4074 2000kv and run 2 4s batteries in parallel. Pair that with either the 180 amp sea king, or the seal 160 amp. tons of run time, and mathematically with the load of the prop and boat, I should be about 25k RPM.