Thread: Magnet strength on a 1530

Default Magnet strength on a 1530

should I be able to turn the rotor over with out much Resistance on that big motor ? thank you !

A 1530 Lehner? If so, no. If a NEU, then maybe depending on it's vintage. Some have have much resistance to turn and some just have next to none.

I have 2 1521's, one has the hard resistance and the other does not. I'll check the dates on them.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Lehners should spin freely with no cogging or detent feeling. If they feel like they have rough spots or lumps than a winding is bad.
    I am sure Chris is asking about a Neu 1530, since a LMT 1530 is pretty small.

Chris, it depends on the vintage of motor. Most early Neu motor had a pretty strong detent, however Neu changed the magnetic design on some motors and they felt very weak compared to the old motors, but were just a different magnetic design.

In short, yes if this is a late model motor you can probably easily turn it over by hand. It should have some detent feeling though. Only way to know for sure is to check the magnets with a Gauss meter and check the winding resistance and installation.

TG
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Detent, that's the word I couldn't remember...
    Nortavlag Bulc

i have a new t.p. 4050- 5d / 4 pole - 2310 kv motor that has a good strong magnet feel when you turn the collet slowly by hand, it feels like a compression stroke between each magnet like a glow engine has going past tdc. i don,t think this is bad windings its just strong magnets as the motor surely has some great power.

yes a Neu motor I have to double check the date thank you guys!!!

Chris,
    The 1530's were mostly late model motors. I would not be too concerned unless you believe you are not getting the power like you expect.

Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Chris,
    The 1530's were mostly late model motors. I would not be too concerned unless you believe you are not getting the power like you expect.

Tyler
    thank you Tyler I havnt even ran it yet I was just curious !!

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Lehners should spin freely with no cogging or detent feeling. If they feel like they have rough spots or lumps than a winding is bad.
    I am sure Chris is asking about a Neu 1530, since a LMT 1530 is pretty small.

Chris, it depends on the vintage of motor. Most early Neu motor had a pretty strong detent, however Neu changed the magnetic design on some motors and they felt very weak compared to the old motors, but were just a different magnetic design.

In short, yes if this is a late model motor you can probably easily turn it over by hand. It should have some detent feeling though. Only way to know for sure is to check the magnets with a Gauss meter and check the winding resistance and installation.

TG
    If memory serves me correctly (don't bet on it) Neu started "skewing" or "twisting" stators several years ago to lessen the cogging effect - may have been to better allow helis to freewheel (autorotate).

I had two 1521's - 0ne early, one late (Ray I sold you one) that felt different when hand-twirled.

Not to worry
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Still runs great!
    Nortavlag Bulc