Thread: Zelos out of the box flex shaft advice

Default Zelos out of the box flex shaft advice

Just got this boat two days ago, started going over it, removed both flex shafts (which were pretty hard to get out).This looks like it is already been heated up big time and the ends are not straight like the rest of the flex shaft. What do the more seasoned folks think? Also question about the included battery harness. I don't plan to run 3s's, I only plan to run 4s up through 6s x2, do I need the harness or can I just connect each battery to each controller? I didn't know if the harness leveled things out between the two controllers. Any advice is much appreciated.

20170624_183752.jpg20170624_183758.jpg20170624_183813.jpg20170624_220816.jpg20170624_220822.jpg
    Last edited by Shoc-RC; 06-26-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Are your shafts going straight into your motor? mine did picture #4 out of the box. I loosed up the 4 mount bolts, and aligned the motors with the shafts, replace with new stock cables, no problems. The other ones look like you may have used reverse when going forward? like the cable is coming undone. that would explain why it was hard to get it out. Maybe your reversed your cables on accident when you were greasing the shafts? the cables should run in a tightening fashion when ever the boat is going forward, if that makes since?

I am no pro, take my advice with a grain of salt!

I run a 6s battery dedicated to each esc. Nothing to connect the 2 packs together.

Quote Originally Posted by andygoesfast View Post
    Are your shafts going straight into your motor? mine did picture #4 out of the box. I loosed up the 4 mount bolts, and aligned the motors with the shafts, replace with new stock cables, no problems. The other ones look like you may have used reverse when going forward? like the cable is coming undone. that would explain why it was hard to get it out. Maybe your reversed your cables on accident when you were greasing the shafts? the cables should run in a tightening fashion when ever the boat is going forward, if that makes since?

I am no pro, take my advice with a grain of salt!
    Thanks for the reply to both Andy, this was on the unboxing, I have not used the boat at all. So this is from the manufacture.

OSE cables are really nice! I just haven't switch over yet. I am in to see what the "pros" have to say. It should be interesting cause you said it hasn't even been ran yet. Those cable look like they have seen some heat. It could be the angle of the picture too. How do your tubes look?

The discoloring is from the soldering of the ends. No solder they will unravel. As for it being straight or not, they need to be perfect. The stock cables are pretty stout.

I know everyone has different experiences. For me 2 6S packs is just not enough weight - 4 3S handles better. Your mileage may vary.
    May your batteries never fail you...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by andygoesfast View Post
    I run a 6s battery dedicated to each esc. Nothing to connect the 2 packs together.
    Where to you put your 6S packs, mine won't fit up under the deck...sigh. Wanted to get them a little bit further up towards the bow...

Quote Originally Posted by mikiek View Post
    I know everyone has different experiences. For me 2 6S packs is just not enough weight - 4 3S handles better. Your mileage may vary.
    Yeah, might be right, I think the weight is okay, just can't get them further up as noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoc-RC View Post
    Where to you put your 6S packs, mine won't fit up under the deck...sigh. Wanted to get them a little bit further up towards the bow...

Yeah, might be right, I think the weight is okay, just can't get them further up as noted.

For best performance I run 4 X 3s packs(2 in series, to each esc) two of the packs all the way as far as I can get them in the bow, other two as far back as I can. There's stops on both in the front and rear for the batterys. I run a neutral strut angle with this set-up. The boat runs fast! and handles like its on rails!

When I run the 6s packs it takes strut adjustment(from the 4 X3s) and its never perfect( I am not a pro). I like the 4 3s packs the best by far, I just had 2 6s from back in my plane days.. I do run the 6s I place them far forward as I can but its not up in the bow. I have heard of people adding epoxy to the tips to help with the weight if its going to be ran dedicated off 6s packs. Like already said the boat will run its best over all in my opinion with 4x 3s packs(I only have one set of 4 matching 3 s packs(something I will be buying more of the winter)). It sucks trying to get both struts perfect out at the lake.. so, I will be buying more battery's and just running my 6s packs in something else down the road. They are there for when I really need that extra zelos fix and cant wait the 2+ hours for my other packs to charge.

What was determent about your flex shafts? are you getting new ones or are they fine?