Thread: Alien power ESC?

Default Alien power ESC?

Anyone have experience with Alien ESCs? Looking into all options for HV ESCs and was wondering if they are dependable enough or if at this price point one should just pony up for MGM. Ive heard good things about them in large scale car/truck applications but how do they do with the high stress of boats? Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure Alien and Flier are the same esc, and Flier makes a good esc. Now I can only speak for the 180A.

Thanks Jay.

I'd like to update my opinion/stance on alien/flier escs. They seem to work well....when they are working. However. From my experience and experience of friends and a couple customers I've worked with, they seem to have a limited lifespan for some reason. 10-15 maybe 20 runs seems to be the norm. Honestly I'm guesstimating the amount of runs but it's not a whole lots of run time. The Fightercat that was in my original shocker seemed to last the longest. I sealed up the cooling block and epoxy coated it. Not sure if that helped but the boat changed hands three times before the esc went out. Then my buddy had an alien 300 go out after very few runs. So I'm on the fence about them. Nothing is foolproof though. I burned up MGM, swordfish, castle, seaking etc so who knows what the most reliable is. I have had the least problems with the castle escs I've converted to water cooling. Hell I sold my mini Rivercat with a mamba monster 2 in it I converted to water cooling and that guy drives that boat almost every week at the lake behind his house. Never had an issue with it. I built that years ago and modded that esc back then. My suggestion is to wait and see how the new swordfish escs stack up. And castle has a couple new marine escs coming out in the near future too.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Travis,
    Have you heard any new updates on the new Castle marine ESCs?
    Regards,
    Bob

I've emailed them on it about a month ago, and the reply was...they've been talking about it, but nothing in the works.

John,
    Thanks for the info. It's too bad, I know alot of us have been waiting for them.
    Bob

I'm hoping the new Swordfish esc's work out. I'm gonna need two 300A esc's soon for a build.

Quote Originally Posted by bob horowitz View Post
    Travis,
    Have you heard any new updates on the new Castle marine ESCs?
    Regards,
    Bob
    I haven't heard anything lately. I may need to call my contact at castle and see what's up.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Travis,
    That would be great. Maybe if they get a lot of inquiries they will step up getting them designed and produced. Am I correct that Mr. Ford is the one to contact?
    Bob

Yeah, fingers crossed about the SwordfishX. Metal heatsinks vs fully potted in is for sure a move in the right direction. Its like my 240s are snuggled up in a mega rubber heattrap...

I'd love to know the price and when it will be available on the new SwordfishX.