Thread: Spartan castle motor blown?

Default Spartan castle motor blown?

Took the new to me spartan out today and it ran great but after about 6-7 minutes with no wot runs just trying to get used to it the motor started sounding bad and loosing power so I brought it in pulled of the lid and the motor shaft has a wobble in. After pulling off motor and plate bearings were loose inside, is there a rebuild for this castle 1800- 2240kv? If not what would be a good upgrade for the stock ESC this is my wife's boat and just needs to be very reliable and not the fastest thing in the water. I was using two 3s 3300mah lipo's at the time of run. Water intake was flowing good through esc and motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Change the ESC to a 180 and a Leopard 4082 1600kv motor and it will be pretty bullit proof.

Cool

The motor bearings are shot - the previous owner probable either didn't oil them regularly, or got them wet and they rusted. You can get replacement bearings from various sources, BocaBearings is one although you can beat the maker's prices if you look around on eBay etc. Or replace the motor - the Leopards are a quality down-grade versus the Castle, although they can work well.

One comment - you thought you were being easy on the boat by running at part throttle, but in reality that is extremely hard on the ESC. It is best to limit part-throttle running on any boat, especially those with higher amp draws. Counter-intuitive yes - but fact nonetheless.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Take Fluid's advice. If it is just your wife running it maybe 4s would be better. I still use the castle 1420 that came out of my spartan 4 years ago. Its a pretty stout motor and has been through hell and back. I have it in a motley crew now, still works great. Toss some bearings in it and go have fun.

Do you know what size the bearings are in that motor and where I would be able to get them the cheapest and fastest to whidbey island Washington?

They are either 5x14x5 or 5x11x5. Pull one out and measure it

This thread is over five years old and the OP hasn’t been back to the forum since 2017. He won’t see your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    This thread is over five years old and the OP hasn?t been back to the forum since 2017. He won?t see your post.

Its a spambot account. The reply is a direct copy of your post #3 from 2017. They switch up the words used a bit so most won't notice, but is essentially a copy/paste of your reply. Only spammer or scammer accounts do this. Either ways its been reported to the Mods
    Last edited by Xrayted; 08-29-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Its a spambot account. The reply is a direct copy of your post #3 from 2017. They switch up the words used a bit so most won't notice, but is essentially a copy/paste of your reply. Only spammer or scammer accounts do this. Either ways its been reported to the Mods
    While we appreciate the report, this is in fact my own post, responding to yet another zombie thread revival posted earlier today immediately above my post.

Yes, I am fully aware its a scambot account, and no it wasn't your post I was talking about. I quoted your reply to the scammer because I was replying directly to you about him.

The scammer account you replied to (post #7) actually copied your old reply from this very thread back in 2017 (post #3) but you likely didn't notice this, otherwise I doubt you would have replied the way you did as if to a legitimate member.

And you still don't seem to realize it despite me pointing this out in my reply to you I reported the scammer account that dragged this old thread back out by stealing your words from 2017, not you

EDIT: Mods finally killed the account and deleted the scambot post #7 I referenced above, so the post numbers will no longer apply to anyone reading this today
    Last edited by Xrayted; 09-04-2023 at 07:11 AM.