Thread: Torn between Genesis and a Formula 1 Powerboat....

Default Torn between Genesis and a Formula 1 Powerboat....

It's been a while since I posted, but I am back in the RC boating scene again.

I would like to get another RC boat (an upgrade from my current Proboat Apache), but I am in quite a pickle, as I do not know which one I really want.

Boat #1:
    HobbyKing® H2O Style 650EP Formula 1 Tunnel 620mm (ARR)
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...___store=en_us

Required Items:
    2 Channel Transmitter and Receiver for Surface (I have a DX3S and a Spektrum MR200 Receiver)
    3S 11.1V 3000~4000mAh Lipoly Battery

Reason for me Picking Boat #1: Cheaper to get up and running, all I need is to pull the receiver from my Apache and put it in this one and all I would need is to buy the specified lipo battery.

Boat #2
    Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm)
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/genesis-...___store=en_us

Radio System (2ch) & Receiver (Same situation as above)
    1 x 3kg standard size servo
    100A ESC
    3300mah 3S 20C Lipo or greater

Reasons for Me Picking Boat #2: Looks exactly like my Apache, although since it's a little bigger, handling may be a bit different. Other than that I don't know what other reasons I would have to pick this one. It will be a little more to get up and running is the downside compared to boat #1.

Please do not tell me to get both, as I am on a budget...under $300 (Under $400 if I am to stretch my budget) and thanks in advance for any help.
    My Fleet:
    Proboat Apache 24
    Formula 1 Style Tunnel Hull (In perpetual Delay )

I bought a HK Formula1 a couple months ago, then bought a Genesis couple weeks ago and hands down I enjoy the Genesis much more

The Genesis is a much better choice.

your looking at 2 totally different hull types there. number one is a calm water outboard tunnel hull and number 2 is a rough water off shore hull. you really need to think whats the most suited boat out of these 2 for the water conditions you have available.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    your looking at 2 totally different hull types there. number one is a calm water outboard tunnel hull and number 2 is a rough water off shore hull. you really need to think whats the most suited boat out of these 2 for the water conditions you have available.
    I could run either really, so that's what compounds things further. It does get windy here on occasion, but for the most part it's calm or little wind.
    My Fleet:
    Proboat Apache 24

i won,t try and talk you out of buying either boat as there both good looking hulls etc but i can say from experience that the outboard hull definetly needs calm water and is very easy to flip over as just about all outboards hulls do at speed and wind under the hull causes blow overs, the other offshore hull would be alot of fun and will handle conditions alot better when its choppy / windy. as i mentioned its really your decision between an offshore hull or an outboard tunnel hull, you paying for it not us. buy both.

ibut i can say from experience that the outboard hull definetly needs calm water and is very easy to flip over as just about all outboards hulls do at speed and wind under the hull causes blow overs, the other offshore hull would be alot of fun and will handle conditions alot better when its choppy / windy. as i mentioned its really your decision between an offshore hull or an outboard tunnel hull, you paying for it not us. buy both.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I watch F1H2O (Formula 1 Powerboat racing) and have seen these boats flip in rough water condtions.

With that being said, I suppose I could buy both, but it will take me a while, as I am saving for a summer vacation next year. The tunnel hull will be first, as it would be cheaper to get up and running.

i have noticed on other forums that the Genesis is quite popular and its longer than the tunnel hull.

i have noticed on other forums that the Genesis is quite popular and its longer than the tunnel hull.
    Yep..offshore racers usually are longer than the tunnel hulls in the real world too.

I'll get both...eventually...:)
    My Fleet:
    Proboat Apache 24

I've got the genesis and it's running around 56mph
    It's a little on the skinny side but I haven't seen any problems with that. It will twist to the right if you
    Punch the throttle from a dead stop. Very stable
    in the turns as long as you watch the throttle
    I barrel rolled it coming out of a turn to fast..