Thread: Twin Outboard Cat

Default Twin Outboard Cat

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about starting a twin outboard cat project to run in offshore (40-45mph range). Does anyone have any suggestions regarding outboard selection? Hull suggestions are also welcomed. I'm really liking the new pro marine cat with the open cockpit, and I think it's a bit wider than most of the cat offerings which should help stablility. Thanks!

are you sure-Pete-i will fix the damaged boat and you can have it back for future changes-----just put some flotation in it. it's a good start for a "q" class.

I am thinking of building an X Cat racer with a Genesis & these twin outboards with the CNC'd lowers

Balance will be diff than inboards so batteries will need to go forward to counter balance the twins hanging off the back, counter rotating props are available but I havent looked into counter rotating flex shafts I suppose I could make them...if they are even necessary. these motors run about 40ish on a 28" boat on 4s without upgrading the motors..... which I will do to in theory to run 6s maybe more?

I am going to run till I burn up the stock motor in the genesis before I start my build, so I have nothing else to show for now

keep us posted I would be interested in any issues you run into in your build

gennytwins.jpg
    Last edited by MadProps; 06-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.

looks like fun
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    I am thinking of building an X Cat racer with a Genesis & these twin outboards with the CNC'd lowers

Balance will be diff than inboards so batteries will need to go forward to counter balance the twins hanging off the back, counter rotating props are available but I havent looked into counter rotating flex shafts I suppose I could make them...if they are even necessary. these motors run about 40ish on 4s without upgrading the motors..... which I will do

I am going to run till I burn up the stock motor in the genesis before I start my build, so I have nothing else to show for now

keep us posted I would be interesed in any issues you run into

gennytwins.jpg
    JUST DO IT!! I wanna see it

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    JUST DO IT!! I wanna see it
    it wont be long I am running the stock Genesis on 6s

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post

Balance will be diff than inboards so batteries will need to go forward to counter balance the twins hanging off the back, counter rotating props are available but I havent looked into counter rotating flex shafts I suppose I could make them...if they are even necessary. these motors run about 40ish on a 28" boat on 4s without upgrading the motors..... which I will do to in theory to run 6s maybe more?

keep us posted I would be interested in any issues you run into in your build

gennytwins.jpg
    Are those the TFL outboards? They look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Are those the TFL outboards? They look great!
    Hobbyking sells them $80...they run on 3s-4s but you can buy them without the motor $57 (see link below) so you can go straight to an upgrade motor....a grease tube is installed and the lower comes apart for inspection of flex shaft 4mm prop shaft OSE here has prop bushings to run better props
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/cnc-alum...yle-650ep.html

66148.jpg
    Last edited by MadProps; 06-21-2017 at 04:40 PM.

The specs mentions flex shafts. Very nice.

So, the real question is...... can a 34" cat with (2) of these outboards w/28mm motors and (2) 5000 4S batts compete in offshore. Anyone have an idea? Or am I pioneering this one?

I believe we are pioneering ....
    I have no idea what to expect but just want to go there, after watching the Xcat races I decided to build an RC model Xcat and chose the Genesis and these outboards

The only thing that turns me off about the genesis is the width. It looks amazing, but it isn't practical for race water and what I plan to use it for. The new pro marine hulls are wider and much more stable.

anyone know the theory behind these two cavities back at the transom area

Im thinking this wont work for outboards with the weight and thrust hanging off the back and will need to be closed off

tfl-1122-hull-f1.jpg

The holes are where the twin stingers go. You could fill
    Them in with epoxy

I didnt consider twin stingers....thanks , I will cover them over with a thin sheet of fiberglass to keep it light weight.

my other race boats are 28"ers and I find this Genesis more suited to the waterfront I live on, I am finding I dont want to run my other boats now as this Genesis size handles the water I live on better

this means I am not looking forward to tearing this Genesis down to build an XCat so the obvious answer is buy another big cat to play with so I have the initiative to tear down this Genesis...I already have all the parts for the X Cat project and am determined to build one just to experiment

those of you that own a genesis already what other boat hull do you own that you like better than the Genesis ....I have 40 size lepoard & 180 esc and all the trimmings to install in a new hull here at hand

thanks for looking