Thread: mini-hydro this time from Depron

Default mini-hydro this time from Depron

Well, just like hacking around with different materials and as I like it light-weight (for speed-reasons), why not try a mini-hydro (Naviga. LiPo masters, Nautica) out of Depron (6mm and 3mm).

In case you like to build one too, I like to send the sketches and drawings by mail, just drop me a personal message.

To minimize drag (== increase speed) I decided to drastically remake the HK mini-rudder:

No fancy motorization for me this time. Just a cheap and old Turnigy H2218-3550kV outrunner. The Depron-construction will make it fast, mind my words:

So far so good, always keep the end-result in mind and you can elminate another item on your Buffett-list:

Yesterday, after some further finetuning, it was time to take it out and let it fly. Mind the very low current (average) on 2s:

I love the look of that one. So what is depron? And what did you use for glue/epoxy in construction?
    Shawn

Actually, it is complete Depron. 3mm for bottom of the tub (i.e. middle section), 6mm for the rest. The floaters' underside are covered with 0.5mm GFK plate, as is the ridepad around the axle. Glue: UHU POR (tacky-kind of glue, works wonders if used according to specs). Rudder is 0.8 GFK plate and a little carbon-plate (but 0.8mm GFK-plate is perfectly fine).

The turnfin (0.8mm GFK plate) is more or less glued in the right-hand floater, like this:

Booms are 6mm Carbon hollow-tube. After I crashed into a concrete wall and replaced some Depron around the carbon-tubes, I reinforced the passage by adding a thin layer of packaging-plastic (with 6mm hole in it):

The total-weight including 110gr LiPo now is 400gr. Officially it should be 450gr, but adding additional weight is never a problem .

This is one of the first videos I shot, before finetuning the floaters and further bringing down the currents. The range it is in now, <17A continuously average on 2s, I like very much.
    Last edited by eric_laermans; 06-18-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: extra info added

Quote Originally Posted by eric_laermans View Post
    Yesterday, after some further finetuning, it was time to take it out and let it fly. Mind the very low current (average) on 2s:
    Why was the video fast forwarding most of the time? Didn't like that.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I will post a new video soon, without the fastforwarding.

Hi Eric,
    Well done mate, I like the Depron build and design, I built one back in 2006/7 out of 3mm Depron skinned with .5mm ply, powered with a 3800KV Heli motor 450 Z power, at the time I had to many other builds going on and never went any further with the project, I did run it but had a problem with the ESC so I shelved it, I still have it now I have seen this one of yours its given me the incentive to get it off the shelf in my shed and give it another goCutlass Mini Hydro (14).jpgCutlass Mini Hydro.jpg

Hello John Mc,

Your model looks nice. Does it have mini-hydro measurements (max hull + floaters 450mm)? I can recommend building a mini-hydro according to international rulebook. It is fun competing and you enter a steep learning curve doing so.

I am sure your model would benefit leaving out the .5mm ply-part and using 6mm Depron (yes, without reinforcement) as it saves a lot of weight. As you probably know, mass and velocity don't like each other very much most of the time .

All electronics I use are sealed one way or another. The mg-servo is secured by filling it top-to-bottom with grease. The ESC is waterproof by using PlastiDip + Epoxy-coating. The Rx is stored in a sealed balloon. Even if it is full of water, it will have operating electronics.

Leave me a PM if you are interested in sketches of this mini-hydro.

Enclosed the video without fastforwarding:

Damn 400g is awesome, I know Minis are a new class and have come on a long way in recent years but I was watching the scales at the '13 worlds and I don't recall anyone being under 500g.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Hi Eric, I am very impressed with the proformance of your Hydro, I originally built this 11 yrs ago for fun not for competition, I had no idea what the international rules were then, as you can see it is a little longer by 15mm at 465 mm it weight is 475 grms with a 3s 1400mah battery,I am going to set it back up to have some fun,I have installed another motor HK 3600kv and a Plush 40 amp ESC, thank you for giving me the incentive by posting this thread. Mini Hydro C (1).jpgMini Hydro C (2).jpg
    Last edited by jmack; 06-19-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Hello John,
    Once dialed in properly I am sure your Hydro will be fast. 475gr is perfectly fine for oval. 3600kV on 2s with a 432-prop or 3600kV on 3s with 428-prop will probably yield very decent continuous currents (<20A continuously). I am looking forward to a video!

Here a link to waterproofing your ESC, very important :

Waterproof ESC Tip

Meanwhile I shared the plans several times and I was wondering if anyone already started building a Depron mini-hydro yet?