Thread: 23" to 25" Mono Setup Question

Default 23" to 25" Mono Setup Question

I've done a bit of research but regarding motor size, kv's and number of lipo cells, I think it would be easy to get it wrong and want to ask the experts.

Disregarding racing rules, assuming a 120amp esc, what setup would produce speeds toward the upper end.

Would I be looking for something like a 2860 4,050kv 2s? Or would I be looking for same size can size and lower kv with 3s, 4s etc?

What should my target max rpms be assuming a 36" or 38" prop?

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest a 2860 for Naviga Mono1 racing with 6 minutes of runtime, but you will struggle to get more than 50mph out of one in a mono that size, if your disregarding rules and want speeds towards the upper end of what is possible you will want a bigger diameter motor.

If you are 100% sure about disregarding rules, I would suggest 6s which is as high as most reasonably priced ESCs will go, in order to reduce amp draw and gain a little efficiency through lower wiring losses.

I would also suggest using a prop with a smaller diameter than the hull length ;-p
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I have been wondering the same thing since I have a p mono on the way. The only difference is it believe it's
    32" long. Also factor in racing rules please

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

"I would also suggest using a prop with a smaller diameter than the hull length ;-p"

Ha!

Thanks, that is very helpful. Lots of variables and give and takes and can be confusing to navigate.

HCB I agree with you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

I'm slowly building a DF 23" Sniper mono. I've built one before and I'm going with the same setup. It may not get you 50MPH but it will be tons of fun.

I run a Leopard 2860-2550kv on 4S 4500MAH through a cheap water cooled SUppo 100amp esc and props from 32mm 3 blade to 35mm 3 blade.

It runs nicely. Since I sold the first one and miss it, I had to build another

Video is real crappy but it lets you know what you get for a light cheap setup.

Nortavlag Bulc

Not sure who this is. Bigger motor than mine, 36mm can.

42mph.

Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks Ray, that is very helpful. That does look like a fun setup, I might end up doing something very similar. Is your 4500mah 4s configured in one pack I take it? I've got several 4s 5,000mah packs that I'd love to be able to use to save on buying yet more batteries, but didn't think something like that would fit and provide proper weight distribution bow to stern. If I was going 4s, figured I'd have to use 2 smaller packs.

When I ran that boat yes it was on single pack in the center front with a little to the Starboard side. This next one I have a pair of 2S packs to try side by side.

I'm building a a snails pace these days. Maybe tomorrow I'll post pics of my last build.

Don't count out a Leo 3650 motor. The other gent is running a 3650 Leo on 4S 6000Mah total saddle packs.

Steve has the motors on sale. I also went with the 2860 because it's sale, discontinued stock, inexpensive, lol...

My first one actually had a Tacon 2860-2550kv but basically same motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Just lay it all out before you glue anything inside to see if the CG works out. My 4500's were only 25C-35C I think and not to heavy. A 500 pack should be little difference.

I'd rather have a full size Sniper but it's too hard for me to handle physically and too expensive.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I think this information has got me off to a good start. Thanks! I just realized I had an old but hardly used Neu Castle 3650 / 4600kv. I will at least start with that and 2s and will be able to see what's next from there. My rpm might be a little high.

If that doesn't suit looks like I'll go with a motor more appropriate for 4s.

"I'd rather have a full size Sniper but it's too hard for me to handle physically and too expensive."

Same here:)

Thanks guys!

Use what you have. That will work. Not sure on propping that though??
    Nortavlag Bulc

That will work fine, it is lower KV than most 2s mono1s run (5000-5500), I expect that with a 38mm prop you would see speeds similar to Ray's, and the bigger motor will be capable of more speed with a bigger prop if you want it, but it will draw double the current to do the same thing on 2s as ray needs on 4s, so you will need a beefy ESC.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I think the leopard 3674 3300 kV should be fast too. It will have significantly more torque than the other mentioned motors. It will hold rpm better under load.

Thanks

I would want to start with a graupner k42, the an octura x642 on 2s with the leopard 3674 3300. I am not sure that size boat will take a m545. The aquacraft 1800kv or the 2030 kV on 4s with a k42 could be another setup with good runtime but it might over kill a lil boat 23 to 25 inches. You probably could run the aqua craft motor on 3s. The aqua craft will take prop in the 45mm range but since we talking 23 to 25 inches an m435 3blade, the octura x438, the x437 3 blade would work well with the aqua craft while running 4s and the runtime will be much better than the 3300 leopard.

I pulled the motor I have out of the drawer and immediately realized it wasn't the Castle I thought I had. I had sold one but I had bought 2 new motors and off memory thought I had bought two of the same. Going back through 9-year old emails it's a Medusa 4800kv. Going to try a smaller prop first, probably in he 37-38 range, and go from there. If the setup doesn't run good I'll either try a smaller or larger prop or switch altogether to a 4s setup. I'm using an old Hydra 120 so hopefully that esc allows for some flexibility. Thanks

That setup will pull big amps.I would try it though. A prop more like 35mm is what I would have in mind for that kV.