Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castle Chart

Good discussion guys. Enlightening even.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Realize I wrote this for castle with the current crop of batteries in mind. When the 50C+ cells get here, 2P will no longer be required to handle the high current. The run time is still nice with 8-10AH worth of capacity.

The chart doesn't cover all possibilities and is based on my personal setups or combos that I have first hand knowlege of. The race combos are exactly that.

And the ripple current is absolutely deadly at low voltages. One of the reasons N2 boats were so hard on escs running NiMHs.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    Realize I wrote this for castle with the current crop of batteries in mind. When the 50C+ cells get here, 2P will no longer be required to handle the high current. The run time is still nice with 8-10AH worth of capacity.

The chart doesn't cover all possibilities and is based on my personal setups or combos that I have first hand knowlege of. The race combos are exactly that.

And the ripple current is absolutely deadly at low voltages. One of the reasons N2 boats were so hard on escs running NiMHs.

Brian
    How much does adding 2 extra caps to the ESC help??

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

I pretty much double what ever the total value of the factory parts. Adding a pair of 470's to the old B125's made them fairly bullet proof for most N2 stuff.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

What is the minimum discharge rated battery to use with this chart. I see flightpower makes a 4s 4270mah pack with only 18c discharge rate. Would the 18c discharge rate be safe for any 4s2p combo even though the MAH rating would total 8500 when running two of these packs 4s2p?

Here's battery: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRVT5&P=ML

I know most all 2s2p setups require atleast 25c rating even at 8500mah.

---------------------------

All my testing has been done with 20C+ cells, mostly 25-30C. The 18C cells will work for the sport setups, but I wouldn't run the race combos on them.

My .02
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

The chart says it applies to new motors. What if I use an old motor, will that make a difference?

My boat is red, should I take that into account??

Also in the P monos you do not list a large light hull or a small heavy hull? Why not??

Thanks in advance.
    Don't get me started

I pretty much double what ever the total value of the factory parts. Adding a pair of 470's to the old B125's made them fairly bullet proof for most N2 stuff.

Forgive my ignorance and I'm not questioning your results, but why the heck wouldn't Castle put more caps on? Seems like a simple solution to solve!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Forgive my ignorance and I'm not questioning your results, but why the heck wouldn't Castle put more caps on? Seems like a simple solution to solve!
    Because most of the time caps that are there are good enough. It also cost versus benefit thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    My boat is red, should I take that into account??
    Is this question for real? At first I thought I'd post that that was funny, but upon review, I'm wondering if I'm missing something and thought about offending someone. Usually I post half asleep because that is the time that I have to sit down and read the posts.
    Now I don't know if the same principles apply, but I use certain capacitors in analog audio circuits I design and build. What is the objective? Smoothing the waveform or addressing amplitude issues which distort?

I think I'm reading too far into this.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Talking

Is this question for real? At first I thought I'd post that that was funny, but upon review, I'm wondering if I'm missing something and thought about offending someone...
    What you are missing is Bill's sick sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    $$$

Same reason Pintos burst into flames. Bottom line profit motive
    Don't get me started

Pintos burst into flames because of a design flaw. Not everything in the world is motivated by money, although the love of it (and getting it easily) has put America into its current predicament.

I'm an engineer, and one of the things you get to learn is that you must always maintain safety as a paramount concern. Sometimes we screw up. Sometimes people do things that aren't part of the foreseen use. Sometimes the standards change, then people judge you retroactively.

I highly doubt that an engineer trying to save a few dollars was the reason for the problem. Remember, it was the engineers who tried to stop the Columbia launch.

Andy

raptor: Realize I wrote this for castle with the current crop of batteries in mind.
    Raptor, thanks for spending the time to make this chart. This type of detailed chart has been needed for a long time. I really like where you recommend a prop to start with. Could you also make a chart for the OSE Feigao motors with CC controllers? It would lower frustrations for the new guys getting into FE and warranty costs for Castle Creations.

Reddy

Last edited by ReddyWatts; 11-21-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    Pintos burst into flames because of a design flaw. Not everything in the world is motivated by money, although the love of it (and getting it easily) has put America into its current predicament.
    Not to get totally off topic here, but it was a financially motivated situation. Ford knew of the flaw and chose not to address it to save $11 per unit.

Ford was aware of this design flaw but allegedly refused to pay what was characterized as the minimal expense of a redesign. Instead, it was argued, Ford decided it would be cheaper to pay off possible lawsuits for resulting deaths. Mother Jones magazine obtained the cost-benefit analysis that it said Ford had used to compare the cost of an $11 ($57 today, allowing for inflation) repair against the cost of paying off potential law suits, in what became known as the Ford Pinto memo
    Source: http://www.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/pinto.htm

And I am willing to bet that the reason the ESC we see have fewer caps than ideal is to save money.
    Don't get me started

Another possiblity is that Castle doesn't feel they're needed (though our testing may prove otherwise). Caps are a dime a dozen, so I don't think cost is a factor...Especially when you refer back to how small our group is and how many ESC's they supply us.

Castle has a history of thinking marine ESC's don't need things. Just look at how long it took them to come out with factory water cooling.

I still 100% support them, though.

For the most part, the factory caps are plenty. Most people using them don't push them as hard as I do.

The extra caps are just a little insurance.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Most people using them don't push them as hard as I do.
    Is that code for "most people aren't as fast as you are"???
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Is that code for "most people aren't as fast as you are"???
    No. I just like the scent of those electrical charcoal air fresheners.

Besides, John burned up more than I did this season. Of coure he has the problem of running my hand-me-downs. I don't think I've prestressed any of those parts

I have to scrub the roofbox out with denatured alcohol after every season (and replace the foam).
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Steven, I think it would be good to publish the Castle chart where you sell the Neu motors, with permission of course.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12