Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Chart

Default Castle Chart

Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Good info!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Very good info and it was prepared by Brian Buass "The Snowman" and he knows how to destroy an ESC

Douggie

Looks like large boats are not covered under warranty at all. I like that they recommend running 2P regardless of hull size, to make sure voltage drop will not destroy an ESC. That's what took out one of Hydra 120 HVs i ran with KB45 motor in my big hydro. I have been asking Castle for a while, to start releasing articles and tutorials how to set up a boat properly. They need to release an article written by their engineer about how and why ESC's fail.

What is wrong with 1P. The voltage drop will be the same regardless of 1,2,3,4P. The difference is available amps

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    The voltage drop will be the same regardless of 1,2,3,4P. The difference is available amps
    This isn't accurate... The V will drop less with 2P over 1P... and 3P over 2P... up to a limit, of course...

The difference between 1P and 2P is noticable for the power systems we run...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Darin, this makes no sense. Each cell will deplete it's own voltage to what it was charged at. If the cells are not balanced ...problems...and this will increase with multiple cells and you do not have a device on board that will measure each cell's voltage.

Douggie

My Fellow Canadian;

What I think Darin is saying ( I could be wrong) is that with 2 packs in parallel, the controller will see less voltage drop because its sucking power from 2 packs and they will be able to "balance the load" better than a single pack. You would be sucking power from 8 cells vs 4 cells and the 8 would provide a more stable voltage source.

The more cells (packs in parallel), the more stable the overall voltage will be, even if you have some weaker individual cells.

I think ...................................It sounds logical in my little mind But I have been wrong before.......................

Unless I missed it they don't say 1p or 2p.They only suggest that the packs total ampacity be large enough to supply sufficient voltage at anticipated loads.

HTH
    Ghost

Douggie

You are a little lost here.
    If you look at a discharge graph for any cells be it lipo or Sub C.

Example
    4S 4500 – 25C
    At 32A you would average 14.4 V
    At 64A you would average 14 V
    At 90A you would average 13.7 V
    At 96A you would average 13.3 V

As you can see the voltage under load drops with the amp draw.

If you run a 2P setup the amp draw that each pack sees is cut in half.
    Resulting in a higher voltage under load that is put to your motor.

Also only half the stress put on your cells.
    If I run a 4S2P set up in my Wip and draw 100Amps each pack only has to deliver 50A
    They run a lot cooler and will last a lot longer (more cycles)
    If I run it on 4S1P the pack has to deliver 100A to the motor, resulting in a
    - Lower motor Voltage,
    - Higher battery temperature which turns into higher internal resistance
    - Less Voltage under load output.

The biggest loss is in speed of the boat, even with the extra weight.
    At 1850KV-- 0.7V = 1295 RPM on the motor = about 3 MPH
    Even with my bad driving I will still beat you in a 1 mile race with a 3 MPH advantage
    And my cells will still like me.

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 11-19-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by AntronX View Post
    Looks like large boats are not covered under warranty at all. I like that they recommend running 2P regardless of hull size, to make sure voltage drop will not destroy an ESC. That's what took out one of Hydra 120 HVs i ran with KB45 motor in my big hydro. I have been asking Castle for a while, to start releasing articles and tutorials how to set up a boat properly. They need to release an article written by their engineer about how and why ESC's fail.
    This is what I am referring to. A voltage drop should never destroy an ESC.

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 11-19-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    This is what I am referring to. A voltage drop should never destroy an ESC. Douggie
    Yes, too much voltage drop will destroy an ESC. First the capacitors will overheat from too much voltage ripple, then they will leak the electrolite. Once that happens, they can no longer smooth out current ripple spikes. Then FETs short out and you get fireworks. Voltage ripple is more dangerous at controller's maximum continuous current rating.

Thank you Antron. What is voltage ripple in regards to capacitors, in a simplistic sense at low voltage?

Douggie

Douggie,

There is some decent information here on that topic, including a picture of before and after the application of a capacitor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Douggie,

There is some decent information here on that topic, including a picture of before and after the application of a capacitor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)
    Thanks Darin and Antron and others for the knowledge. We are always learning, but some old farts need a knock on the head from time to time
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 11-19-2008 at 05:19 PM.

I wish I could take an oscilloscope to everybody and show exactly what is going on.

Ripple destroys caps, but internal impedance of the cells is what causes the droop. This is Ohms Law.

It's actually pretty slick to see the operation.

Andy

FINALLY, that is great stuff, the kind of info FE has needed for years. Makes it so much easier to decide on your initial setups without the dreaded smoke. This thread needs to be tacked in "Tips and Info for building a Fast Electric Boat !!!" since OSE sells this equipment.
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 11-19-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

As a side note, I see lots of FE guys who appear to lack a basic grasp of the fundamental of DC electronics. There is a great book worth reading, it is called:

"There Are No Electrons" In a very easy to read format it takes some pretty dry electronic concepts and makes them clear.

Link to Book

Review

Take a look, it really is a fun way to get a grasp on the basics of DC circuitry.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Douggie

You are a little lost here.
    If you look at a discharge graph for any cells be it lipo or Sub C.

Example
    4S 4500 – 25C
    At 32A you would average 14.4 V
    At 64A you would average 14 V
    At 90A you would average 13.7 V
    At 96A you would average 13.3 V

As you can see the voltage under load drops with the amp draw.

If you run a 2P setup the amp draw that each pack sees is cut in half.
    Resulting in a higher voltage under load that is put to your motor.

Also only half the stress put on your cells.
    If I run a 4S2P set up in my Wip and draw 100Amps each pack only has to deliver 50A
    They run a lot cooler and will last a lot longer (more cycles)
    If I run it on 4S1P the pack has to deliver 100A to the motor, resulting in a
    - Lower motor Voltage,
    - Higher battery temperature which turns into higher internal resistance
    - Less Voltage under load output.

The biggest loss is in speed of the boat, even with the extra weight.
    At 1850KV-- 0.7V = 1295 RPM on the motor = about 3 MPH
    Even with my bad driving I will still beat you in a 1 mile race with a 3 MPH advantage
    And my cells will still like me.

Larry
    Larry, and all thanks for the great advise. Now Larry what format because my 1P setup will beat your ass on 1/3 rd mile

Douggie

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofpf1 View Post
    Unless I missed it they don't say 1p or 2p.

Better read the chart again, it clearly states 2P for every setup on the chart. It's in the second column under Cell count.

The chart was writen by Brian B. I beleive.
    They are suggustions for race and sport setups so you will not hurt your equipment.
    2P is better for your equipment.

Less heat
    longer battery life
    safer for your ESC's
    EYC

Larry

Looks to me that Castle isn't interested in supporting the FE Racing community.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinsmith75 View Post
    Looks to me that Castle isn't interested in supporting the FE Racing community.
    I wonder if they are very worried about the 100 or so of us out here?? 17 drivers at the NAMBA FE NATS, and I am not sure about IMPBA, did they even have an FE NATS this year?

Point is that the FE racing community is so small I doubt Castle could care less about it. In fact I wonder what percentage of their sales the marine controllers are in the first place. I'll bet a very tiny slice.

Sad fact is there just are not enough of us to really get the attention of too many vendors. I am actually amazed there are as many as we have. But let's face it, even Steven does OSE as a sideline to his real job so it's not like any vendor is getting rich off of the FE community, let alone the tiny percentage of that group that race.

Until we figure out how to grow this segment of the hobby we will continue to suffer the result of being a very small fringe group.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Better read the chart again, it clearly states 2P for every setup on the chart. It's in the second column under Cell count.

You're right....thanks....I still think it's an ampacity thing though unless someone can convince me otherwise ie: If the same ampacity could be achieved with a 1P pack it would suffice just as well as a 2p

Ghost

You're right....thanks....I still think it's an ampacity thing though unless someone can convince me otherwise ie: If the same ampacity could be achieved with a 1P pack it would suffice just as well as a 2p

Ghost
    You are right in a way.
    25C - 5000 packs
    1C = 5Amps
    25C = 125 Amps

If my setup pulls 125Amps and I use a 1P pack, my packs would be toast in about 50cycles

If I use a 2P pack and pull 62.5 Amps from each pack (still 125A to the motor) my packs will last over 300 cycles with out any loss in battery power.

Now if they made a 50C- 5000 pack (that would be a 250 Amp max) I could pull my
    125 Amps and still get over 300 cycles.

The trick here is to only pull 1/2 of what a cells "C" rating is, to maintain full power throughout the cells life, and to extend that life.

Also there is still the higher voltage under load with a 2P setup = faster (see my post above, https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...2&postcount=10 )

Larry

Only valid if you double the ampacity at the same time....ie: 62.5 amps from a 2500 mah pack is still 25c

Ghost

Only valid if you double the ampacity at the same time....ie: 62.5 amps from a 2500 mah pack is still 25c

Ghost
    Yes - but would you want to pull 62.5 Amps from a 2500 pack?
    Not much run time in that setup.

Larry

What do you guys think would be the better setup and why. A 2s2p High kv motor or a 4s1p low kv motor if they both are achieving the same rpm. say 35,000. and the packs are the same 25c 5000mah 2s1p

Quote Originally Posted by line6 View Post
    What do you guys think would be the better setup and why. A 2s2p High kv motor or a 4s1p low kv motor if they both are achieving the same rpm. say 35,000. and the packs are the same 25c 5000mah 2s1p
    4S1P is better. Half the amps of 2S2P but same power. Much easier on the ESC. Would not matter to the packs though, just to the ESC and possibly the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by line6 View Post
    It would depend on the size, weight of your boat,
    and what you wanted to do with it,
    Race, Sport, or a pool toy.

35,000 prop RPM is a rigger setup.
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast