Thread: A micro ESC from a servo

Default A micro ESC from a servo

I just wanted to share something that just came to me. Last year while on vacation in the philippines, my sister-in-law gave me a model Bangka boat.
    I had to convert it to RC, but I needed a low voltage, tiny ESC. I searched the web, and even considered designing a circuit of my own. Then it hit me, a Servo is a tiny bi-directional motor controller.
    I took the circuit board out of the servo, de-soldered the motor from the board, and re-soldered it with some wire leads. I set the potentiometer to neutral, and a tiny Fwd/Rev ESC is what I now have. I can't be the first to think of this, because it's too easy!
    Just thought I'd share.
    Here's a pic of my Bangka
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

quite a few people here convert the little tamiya/revell/airfix style static plastic kits to RC using the guts from a pair of cheap std size servos (or donated servos with stripped gears from a flying club) with a mixer for diferential steering micro RX and small 4 cell pack, apparently cheap std servos are best as mini will have too much KV for the scale prop.

(thinking "what else will Diego come up with during vacation")

glasses?
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil