Thread: Genesis and spartan

Default Genesis and spartan

Just picked up both of these today for $350 what do you think and what are some basics I should know about them I am new to boats but no rc.

IMG_2401.jpg

Good deal, for sure. The Spartan is a money pit, the Genesis has room to grow. Sell the Spartan, use the funds to upgrade the Genesis as needed/desired.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The spartan has a castle motor in it just got it for the wife to cruise round. What are some first off upgrades needed for the genesis?

Whats the genesis got in it? Stock?

Not sure I am guessing stock. I can not get the throttle to work on the genesis. I will snap a few more pics later cause I think the angle of the prop was out cause when putting the boat on the table the boat will sit all the way on the hull flat. I even adjusted it all the way up. Just don't want to get it wet and it leave me stranded since it is used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there any members in the oak harbor, WA area?

More pictures of what I am working with. Today of cleaning and going over all nuts and bolts found the cable shaft to the prop seems like it has unwound, when you spin the prop it takes like half to one turn by hand to spin the motor is that normal?

These show the damage to the hull. What will be a good fix for these?

Quote Originally Posted by Dudleydoright151 View Post
    More pictures of what I am working with. Today of cleaning and going over all nuts and bolts found the cable shaft to the prop seems like it has unwound, when you spin the prop it takes like half to one turn by hand to spin the motor is that normal?
    The motor should turn as you turn the prop...no play. If it's the stock motor, it's a SSS 3674 2075Kv. Good to 6s no problem. Looks like a 160A esc. That one's not stock. That boat came with a Seaking 120A esc. The one you have looks like a Proboat esc. If I were you, I would completely gut it, reinforce it, then build it into a screamer. No comment on the Spartan.

Do I need a new shaft? also how do I know which shaft I need size wise?

Is there a good part of the flex you can measure at so you can get the diameter? If not, go by the stuff tube diameter.

Be sure to tape the hatch of both boats even if you are just cruzing,I still have my first spartan ,it's a money pit but I just can't leave it on the shelf ,the genesis is a great boat ,hull is paper thin ,get ready to inlay some fiberglass ,lots of inexpensive upgrades available to bolt on to make that boat fast and reliable ,both are lots of fun ,

your ahead of the game with that used boat.......
    I just bought one New and it doesnt have any epoxy filling the hole around the tube, water is pouring in the rudder mount bracket bolts, 2 of the 3 motors bullet connectors came apart due to improper soldering, I fixed the leaks but being new to boats I also installed auto bailers after seeing a 1/2 cup of water in the boat after 1/2 a battery pak run , they are a joke they leaked immediately, I adjusted the angle a few times ....still auto sinkers!....these issues on a new hobbyking boat are why I found this site and upgrade parts

I am not experienced to give ANY genesis advice so I will parrot what I have read many many times by many many users.....I would not replace that unwound flex tube you found....upgrade to 3/16ths shaft kit like all the experienced Genesis owners have recommended

I have purchased upgrade parts for most everything from this site, 40 size leopard, 180A ESC, outura metal prop upgraded cooling line size and dual water pickup rudder & offset.......all I am looking for is a reliable 4s runner, 50mph will suit me fine, the river I live on is too sporty most of the time for a screamer, so 6s will be used sparingly

good luck on your repairs and upgrades