Thread: Miss bud hull damage

Default Miss bud hull damage

I had a mishap at the pond last weekend. I plan to rebuild. But looking for advice One of the local guys said to use silica filler? I am not familiar with it. How would you guys go about sealing this back up?

Thanks guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that is a tough one. Gently cut out in a v shape on the outside cracks and shred up some fiber glass and start working it in.

I would mix chopped glass fibers into the epoxy. Silica (sometimes called micro-balloons) adds no strength, but it is easy to sand for surface repairs.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

The chopped glass would tie both sides of the repair together. Once it is cured make you a little block and cut it back down.If you wet sand it your paper will last longer.
    I picked up some 3\4 once fiber glass the other day it is paper thin and easy to work with. Once you made your repair you can put 2 or 3 strips over the repair.and block it back down.
    It's just gonna take some time .

I would begin by opening up the seam cracks with a Dremel tool, using a cutting wheel. I would separate the two halves where the wood is cracked in the center section. The crack from the seam to the side of the sponson I would grind out, using a drum sanding wheel, take out the spider cracks then lay back in with the epoxy filled material as mentioned above. I wouldn’t use micro balloons, just not adding strength back in. As the others have mentioned, this is something you’re going to have to get geared up for... Take your time. I had to do a similar repair on my hydro, got the repair done, but still need to re-paint. Crashed it right after painting, pissed me off! I just needed to let it sit for a week while I got geared up for it.... You can do it!

All good advice here. I have repaired many mishaps to date. It is not real hard but it takes time and perhaps patience. It’ll turn out good in the end. I do have the same hull here which will need similar strengthening when I get to it.
    One thing, just do your best to rough up any surface that you are bonding epoxy to. 80 grit works

Hey bud, just checking to see how your project was coming.