Thread: VENOM 56" King of Shaves Fountain - Electric Conversion

Default VENOM 56" King of Shaves Fountain - Electric Conversion

I was looking at converting this from the 26cc gas engine that produced just over 2hp to electric power. The equivalent electric motor would need at least 1600 Watts and I would like it to go faster than what it did as well. So I was looking at the Leopard 5692 1000kV Motor that produces 3000 Watts and running it on 10S to get me in a good RPM range just below 30,000 under load. Then use a Etti HV 120A ESC to power it. The one BIG question is what prop would I use? Not cheap to pickup a few to try. I'm sure many of you have done a conversion like this and I would love to hear your suggestions on setup. Thanks in advance.

For a boat like that your setup won't work.

I would recommend something like this:

Motor: TP56xx around 600kv
    Esc: 300A swordfish or equivalent
    Lipo: 12s 10.000
    Prop: begin with an x457

Extra speed can be achieved with a bigger prop or use 14s 10.000mAh.
    A high rpm setup like the one your suggesting won't work well in a 56" boat.

Good luck with the conversion!

If you ever desire to sell it, I may be interested
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Van De Sande View Post
    For a boat like that your setup won't work.

I would recommend something like this:

Motor: TP56xx around 600kv
    Esc: 300A swordfish or equivalent
    Lipo: 12s 10.000
    Prop: begin with an x457

Extra speed can be achieved with a bigger prop or use 14s 10.000mAh.
    A high rpm setup like the one your suggesting won't work well in a 56" boat.

Good luck with the conversion!

What specific motor are you referring to? How much is too much RPM? I was looking at a setup to be around that RPM because I read 25-30k RPM as a guideline. So I was looking at the TP website and the smallest TP56xx is TP5650 and it produces a constant 4600W and pulls a maximum 93A. That's about 6HP and I wouldn't need a 300A ESC. Using a 12S and 600kV motor would spin almost 24,000 RPM under load and close to 30,000 on 14S. So that RPM is the same as I mentioned. So I'm not sure why you say high RPM won't work but spec me a setup with the same RPM potential. I see the TP5680-10D would make 7600W and pull 171A. That's over 10HP! Do I need something that BIG? Do you have a setup like this in a boat similar to mine? Thanks for you reply and input.

I have a 45' mono which had that setup 2 years ago. On 14s : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89FZwFtUNI&t=47s

Currently the ESC and motor are changed for a lehner 3060/14 and mgm25063
    but it ran well with the old setup. Never anything hot, even in mid summer. The current lehner makes 25900 rpm under load and current
    top speeds are around 70-75mph.

You can not compare gas power with electric power. The engines deliver their power completely differently. An electric motor with
    1600Watts is enough for pushing a 25-30' mono. I have a 35' delta force mono here with an lehner 2250, that motor delivers around
    3000Watts. This just to give you an idea about the amount of power required to push your boat. You will need something like a TP5660 or bigger.
    The 25.000-30.000 mark is ok when you are running smaller boats but for a hull like yours the 24.000 rpm under load is more than enough.
    You can just use a bigger prop when you want extra speed. I currently run my 45' mono with a x460, x465 and x470 octura depending on how fast
    I want to go that day.

The maximum current on TP's website are maximum constant currents, the maximum peak currents will be a lot higher. That is why your 120A esc will burn up the moment you hit the throttle. My 45' mono already pulls 200A when accelerating, imagine yours... With the setup I suggested you can easily hit 60mph without a problem and your components will be in the green temperature area all day long.

I'm doing two SSS 5694 1200Kv and two Flier 300A esc's in a 56" cat next month. Will start with 8s, then 9s, then possibly 10s. A lot of prop testing! How much does your KOS weigh stripped out?

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    I'm doing two SSS 5694 1200Kv and two Flier 300A esc's in a 56" cat next month. Will start with 8s, then 9s, then possibly 10s. A lot of prop testing! How much does your KOS weigh stripped out?
    The boat weighs 8.8lbs with all the driveline, radio box, rudder servo, etc. Basically everything you need less motor, ESC, and batteries.

Ok very good, thank you. I'll have to weigh mine when it gets here hopefully by the end of the month. You should consider running twins in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Van De Sande View Post
    I have a 45' mono which had that setup 2 years ago. On 14s : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89FZwFtUNI&t=47s

Currently the ESC and motor are changed for a lehner 3060/14 and mgm25063
    but it ran well with the old setup. Never anything hot, even in mid summer. The current lehner makes 25900 rpm under load and current
    top speeds are around 70-75mph.

You can not compare gas power with electric power. The engines deliver their power completely differently. An electric motor with
    1600Watts is enough for pushing a 25-30' mono. I have a 35' delta force mono here with an lehner 2250, that motor delivers around
    3000Watts. This just to give you an idea about the amount of power required to push your boat. You will need something like a TP5660 or bigger.
    The 25.000-30.000 mark is ok when you are running smaller boats but for a hull like yours the 24.000 rpm under load is more than enough.
    You can just use a bigger prop when you want extra speed. I currently run my 45' mono with a x460, x465 and x470 octura depending on how fast
    I want to go that day.

The maximum current on TP's website are maximum constant currents, the maximum peak currents will be a lot higher. That is why your 120A esc will burn up the moment you hit the throttle. My 45' mono already pulls 200A when accelerating, imagine yours... With the setup I suggested you can easily hit 60mph without a problem and your components will be in the green temperature area all day long.
    Nice video! Love the sound that thing makes! Alright. Looking at 12S 10,000mah setup with motor and ESC the total floating weight would be almost 19lbs. That's about 2.5lbs more than the Gas setup with a full tank of fuel. It would go a hell of a lot faster with this electric setup though I'm sure. The stock setup probably went mid 40's.

When looking at the motors do you know the performance differences between D (Delta) and Y (wYe) windings? or maybe I should start a new thread to ask that... Because they have approximately the same kV in a D or a Y. Didn't know if there was an easy answer when applied to boats. I am familiar with some basics on theory of the difference (EE classes 20 years ago) but none to application performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Ok very good, thank you. I'll have to weigh mine when it gets here hopefully by the end of the month. You should consider running twins in it.

I don't want to mess with changing the drive to twins. I'd buy a different hull if I was to do something like that.

It's amazing that you can't even find the hull anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by yz250edub View Post
    I don't want to mess with changing the drive to twins. I'd buy a different hull if I was to do something like that.
    Ok, but it's easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yz250edub View Post
    Nice video! Love the sound that thing makes! Alright. Looking at 12S 10,000mah setup with motor and ESC the total floating weight would be almost 19lbs. That's about 2.5lbs more than the Gas setup with a full tank of fuel. It would go a hell of a lot faster with this electric setup though I'm sure. The stock setup probably went mid 40's.

When looking at the motors do you know the performance differences between D (Delta) and Y (wYe) windings? or maybe I should start a new thread to ask that... Because they have approximately the same kV in a D or a Y. Didn't know if there was an easy answer when applied to boats. I am familiar with some basics on theory of the difference (EE classes 20 years ago) but none to application performance.
    You can read all you want about the difference in performance between a D and Y wind
    but I have never experienced myself any noticeable difference. Therefor, just pick the closed
    kv value to 600kv. On 12s 10.000mAH (for your size hull even 15.000mAh is worth considering if you want some runtime)
    you should have no problems getting speeds well above mid 40's.