Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you store your batteries?

New arrival - 'nuff said

DSC02072.JPG

DSC02073.jpg
    May your batteries never fail you...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    Further up the thread I explained that I used a garden hose and there's a link to my charging setup 3 posts above. I can only guess at the actual problem, most likely a cell that did not want to come up to voltage while the others in the parallel string did so the charger continued putting amps into it which heated it and puffed it up until it exploded. All in all it's pretty sketchy, I would not parallel charge unless it was outside, maybe you'll be OK for a number of years doing this but all it takes is one time and it seems like it's an eventuality at some point especially for us FE guys that put our packs through alot more than the average car/truck or airplane guy.
    Lone Wolf, did you check all your packs for any weak cells before your fire? I started a thread on rc groups to get their thoughts on parallel charging. some do, some don't. personally, I will continue to parallel charge and always check cells prior to charging. also going to set up a plastic bag filled with sand that will melt and spill contents on any fire that may start. thanks for sharing your experience and glad you caught the fire in time.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    Lone Wolf, did you check all your packs for any weak cells before your fire? I started a thread on rc groups to get their thoughts on parallel charging. some do, some don't. personally, I will continue to parallel charge and always check cells prior to charging. also going to set up a plastic bag filled with sand that will melt and spill contents on any fire that may start. thanks for sharing your experience and glad you caught the fire in time.
    TBH I wasn't checking the cells before charging at that point as they were all newly purchased 6S packs with roughly 10 cycles through them, I was checking them before running and right after but obviously should have checked before charging. All the packs/cells seemed very healthy. I do wonder though what peoples thoughts are on where they draw the line on when to retire a pack, when cells vary by say .1 volts? Seems discharging packs doesn't pose such a problem if the packs are out by .1 but when it comes to charging...well look what I experienced! I also feel that the carnage was worsened by thhe fact that these were 6S packs, a shorted 2S pack won't do near the damage I am sure, maybe I should switch over to running 3S packs instead of 6S for safety sake...but what a pain for charging!

Default where

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    TBH I wasn't checking the cells before charging at that point as they were all newly purchased 6S packs with roughly 10 cycles through them, I was checking them before running and right after but obviously should have checked before charging. All the packs/cells seemed very healthy. I do wonder though what peoples thoughts are on where they draw the line on when to retire a pack, when cells vary by say .1 volts? Seems discharging packs doesn't pose such a problem if the packs are out by .1 but when it comes to charging...well look what I experienced! I also feel that the carnage was worsened by thhe fact that these were 6S packs, a shorted 2S pack won't do near the damage I am sure, maybe I should switch over to running 3S packs instead of 6S for safety sake...but what a pain for charging!
    I'm going to ask john from revolectrix to read this thread and offer any information on this subject.

When you guys say check cells - would that be the same thing as the display on a balancing charger? Something else?
    May your batteries never fail you...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Were the balance connectors hooked up to the paraboard? I'm asking only because I'm in the middle of an argument with someone over what happened to you. He thinks you didn't have them connected.
    The powerlab will not allow you to charge without the balance connectors plugged in.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by mikiek View Post
    When you guys say check cells - would that be the same thing as the display on a balancing charger? Something else?
    Using a battery voltage checker, check to see the difference in cell voltages.

Personally I don't charge my batteries over 1c (1c is 1 amp per 1000mah....example: 5000mah batt at 5 amps, 5500mah at 5.5amps)
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

O and to answer the original question, I store my batteries in my shop and I keep the ac on 75f to 78f during the warm months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12