Thread: Spartan with leopard 4082 1600 question

Default Spartan with leopard 4082 1600 question

Good evening. I recently purchased the leopard 4082 and seaking 180 amp speed control kit from ose. I did the install and put in water for first time this evening. Stock pitch prop but brass. The hot racing spn 1000e, running venom 5000 mah 50c 3 cell batteries. I also have the upgraded shaft. I was really expecting this thing to run mid 50's It only ran 43 on radar. The only thing I did that I probably shouldn't have is used factory traxxas connectors instead of the supplied bullet connectors. It also killed the batteries in approximately 4 min of run time. For some reason I'm thinking there is something wrong. The motor never sounded like it revved Always sounded like it was struggling. Could it be the connectors or is this all I should expect. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How was the hull running? Was it aired out running on just the last 1/3rd or was the bow splashing in the water? Where are your trim tabs set when a straight edge is run along the bottom of the hull? What angle is your strut set at? Where were your batteries set in the trays? Lots of info needed. My initial guess is that you're running too wet and too much hull is in the water.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for the reply. The tabs are level with bottom of hull and the strut is basically flat. The bow was plowing. I changed none of that from the stock motor and with stock motor it was way faster and up out the water. I told my buddy when I first hit the throttle that it was gonna be slow purely based on how it sounded. I'm gonna try to reprogram the speed control today Maybe I missed the initial setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold the throttle wide open on your transmitter before turning on the ESC. After you turn on the ESC, it should beep to indicate the throttle calibration is complete, then let go of the throttle. As far as setup goes, angle your trim tabs up a little, put some positive trim into your strut, and try moving your batteries towards the rear of the boat some, or further back than where you ran them last. The new motor is heavier than the old setup and has certainly upset your COG.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Awesome. I will definitely do this today. What kind of speeds should I be expecting? I know it's a loaded question but a rough idea will definitely help to know if I'm close. Also, the timing is currently how they set from factory. Is this something I should look into adjusting or just run how it is. After running the motor and esc are cool to the touch so I'm definitely not over working them.

Just ran again after recalibration esc. 43 again

You said on your first post you running 3s batteries,you run 2x 3s in series correct?
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

Correct. Changed prop and moved batteries to back went 51.

Don't feel too bad. My spartan is my slowest boat. I am running 4082/1600kv with T180 ESC and the only time I GPS'd it did 35. lol. It's my basher boat so I wasn't too dissapointed. I've learned a lot since that run but busy with the other boats to give this another go right now. Good Luck! What prop you using?
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

So far it's been fasted with the stock plastic prop. Haha. I've been looking at the hull and really considering doing a twin engine setup and putting the batteries in the center where the motor/esc is now moving motors to outside. It could be a decent little project even if doesn't run fast definitely be cool looking

Nope, all wasted money and effort. Use the Spartan for what it is, not what it isn't. When 50 isn't fast enough, move on to a better hull.

Probably be best. I've been looking and haven't seen it done. There's probably a reason I suppose. I ended up flipping today and lost a lipo in the process. Step back and punt Get some fresh batteries and go back at it.

Tape the hatch,the Spartan hatch is thin,when it flips or submarines the hatch will flex and pull out of the front ,not good ,take a minute and tape the hatch this will help keep it on and keep water out when you get up side down ,which is where most of us wind up sooner or later,