Thread: Best collet

Default Best collet

What are the better grabbing collets to buy. The Princess factory one is really tight and still slips every now and then. Who makes a really good one 5mm motor shaft and .150 flex cable.

I've had good luck with the Ocutra one's. The MBP I've read is real nice, I've yet to use one of those. I believe the guys running higher powered stuff use that one. I know Travis uses it.

I bought a few off ebay and they all wobbled causing the cable to smack the stuffing tube. I bought an Aeromarine and I really like it, and it has an insert so you can go up or down in cable size with the same coupler.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=aero-coupler
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

I've gone to H&M at rocket City Racing in FL. Steve sells the MBP which are a tad better than H&M.

China copied H&M couplers but used steel instead of high grade Aluminum.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Just get a couple from OSE. They will work fine in your boat and are inexpensive. They don't last forever but it helps to put a little antisieze/coppercoat or similar on the thread and always make sure they are done up firmly.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    I bought a few off ebay and they all wobbled causing the cable to smack the stuffing tube. I bought an Aeromarine and I really like it, and it has an insert so you can go up or down in cable size with the same coupler.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=aero-coupler
    I was looking at that one. How often do you need to replace the brass insert from wear? Most are made of stainless this insert is brass which is softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    I was looking at that one. How often do you need to replace the brass insert from wear? Most are made of stainless this insert is brass which is softer.
    I also have the aeromarine 3 piece in my 32" rivercat. Its a nice collet I've never had to replace the brass insert but have only maybe 100 runs on it. I would probably buy the MBP over the 3 piece aeromarine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    I also have the aeromarine 3 piece in my 32" rivercat. Its a nice collet I've never had to replace the brass insert but have only maybe 100 runs on it. I would probably buy the MBP over the 3 piece aeromarine.
    100 runs that is pretty good, being I can't even get one in without slipping. Why MBP over the Aeromarine? you can get two Aeromarines for the cost of one MBP is it really that much better

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    100 runs that is pretty good, being I can't even get one in without slipping. Why MBP over the Aeromarine? you can get two Aeromarines for the cost of one MBP is it really that much better
    Are you cleaning grease off the tip of the flex cable before it goes into the collet? That will make a collet slip every time. I'll pull the collet off my motors every once in a while and spray them out with brake cleaner. The MBP seems to be higher quality, and I like the clamp design rather than crappy grub screws that strip out. I've planned on trying one out just haven't needed it yet.

Actually have not been wiping the grease off the end of the flex cable, good point. On the grub screws I use blue locktite and just snug them, thankfully they have not been an issue, but now that I said it they will probably strip out.

Make sure you haven't grooved the flex cable where it was slipping in the collet. You may need a new cable, likely why it keeps spinning.