Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to tune stepped mono for racing?

Thanks Paul. I think I saw you faffing around in there... but it was high speed faffing!

I had glued a bracket I made into the groove on the far starboard just before I saw your post...
    then I ran down, pulled out the bracket, wiped off all the glue and cut through the hull along that groove. I slopped a bunch of glue into the groove and then pushed the bracket down into the groove.

Thanks for posting the vid, it got me visualizing that mount popping out since it wasn't anchored into the hull.
    I'll post a pic once it's cured up.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Gotter licked!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Hi Jesse,
    I do not know if you are aware of this:
    http://hydromarine.magix.net/all-albums/!/oa/6437456/
    some of the best resource for H&M boats...
    On mine, I ended up with an oval turnfin that was touching the water a lot less and it was ok.

Hi Cornel, thanks for the link... but it's not working?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

It works for me, are you at work, if so try from home as IT may have blocked galleries.

Interestingly they show one with an angled out fin, one with a vertical fin and one that looks like it has an angled in fin.

The camo boat looks like it is one of Bernd Weiss's from the colour scheme so I would follow that setup as his boats always rip, but they don't show the fin on that one.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

not at work, on mac and ipad - no worky for me...

BUT, I did make this today.

I was able to get 3 and a half minutes on 3300 mah, and all electrics below 110F.
    pretty happy with first results. Now if I can get this thing to self right in under 2 minutes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jesse J; 09-25-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added pics
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

link doesn't even work on my PC... wonder if its a US vs Euro thing?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Could be I suppose, i dont know why H&M would restrict their content though as they are trying to sell workldwide. Try this one, it goes to the gallery instead of the slideshow, so it may be simpler for your browser to process.

http://hydromarine.magix.net/all-alb...6/mode/matrix/
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

The link worked for me, I'm in the States... Nice pics!

Even when I go to the hydromarine.de site and navigate to this page: https://hydromarine.de/shop_content....dkes95dc8m09g4 - it doesn't load... Firefox nor chrome on mac... not IE On pc !?!?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Tried again.. but man it runs like crap now: https://youtu.be/uQ3SCami-fI

so I propped up to a 40mm, then back down to 38mm and both made it behave like an idiot.
    I will need to move the ESC back behind the motor and add ballast to get the CG behind 33%

do you think the prop needs to be higher? the prop closer to the transom? it sure aint fun driving it like this...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Jesse, I see just one turn fin, on the starboard side. It looks like it’s running in the water while going straight. On my Mono, it’s real important to have balance, both in weight and drag components. I have two turn fins on the back, both are set high enough so that they don’t get wet going straight. Have you tried a setup like that?

BTW, is the self fighting using a flood chamber or outrunner motor? I like that!

normally the port side turn fin is only needed if your going to be turning left abit. if the hull performs well with only 1 x starboard fin fitted than leave it at that, saves on extra drag as well. looks like alot of rudder throw too. [ drop it down ]

Jesse, I ended up using a 35mm prop on mine, running around 37000rpm and it was quite ok. Another guy here used a 3 blade 36 and it was a lot more stable.
    Try a smaller turnfin or angle it a bit. No need for a second one on a stepped hull, it's just extra drag.

Ok, I'll prop down and try again.
    I was going off Paul's comment that speeds looked low and that other naviga racers are using 40 mm props.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123