Thread: no snap

Default no snap

ready to run new boat. when i hook up neg to complete circuit there is no snap. sequence for startup is as follows: turn on transmitter . plug in bec to one of the packs. servo is on. neg of one pack to pos of other on each bank of batteries. connect remaining pos from each bank to t on esc. then hook up neg on each bank. there is no snap when i hook up the first neg to the esc. what's wrong? see picture. the esc arms and beeps 10 times and motor turns with throttle. no snap worries me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What ESC are you using, and what S count is the ESC seeing?

Some ESC's have a spark suppresser built in.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

You don't want to have your connector arc. If your esc doesn't have spark suppression, you should use anti spark connectors.

Your BEC is acting as the ground circuit. Feeds power to Rx and back to ESC which loads the caps and therefore no spark.

Try plugging batteries in without BEC plugged in.

You're getting close!!!
    Last edited by srislash; 05-19-2017 at 12:51 AM.

I would agree with Srislash your BEC is feeding power back to the ESC pre-loading the caps.

Default no snap

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder29 View Post
    I would agree with Srislash your BEC is feeding power back to the ESC pre-loading the caps.
    makes sense because when i had a separate battery for the bec, i got the snap. but wasnt able to use telemetry sensor because it couldnt get ground. will I damage anything using it this way? thanks, guys, couldnt run electric without you.

Default no snap

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    What ESC are you using, and what S count is the ESC seeing?

Some ESC's have a spark suppresser built in.

Larry
    swordfish 300 lite, no data logging. took off the anti-spark, don't like having to hook it up. I dont mind replacing connectors .

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    makes sense because when i had a separate battery for the bec, i got the snap. but wasnt able to use telemetry sensor because it couldnt get ground. will I damage anything using it this way? thanks, guys, couldnt run electric without you.
    Nope, you've just made your spark suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder29 View Post
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing. If good is there a wiring diagram? This would make things simple for my Q sport.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Default no snap

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing. If good is there a wiring diagram? This would make things simple for my Q sport.
    I'm waiting for more input. basically, all I did was turn on my receiver which is powered by 1 of my 5s packs. the reason I turn it on is it worries me to have full power to my esc without the receiver controlling it. Probably just an unfounded worry. if it works as a spark suppressor without damaging my system, that's great. anyone else have an opinion?

So a SF300 will see power to it's caps as soon as you apply power from your BEC cct. Because it's OPTO coupled and has no BEC, there is no battle with an internal BEC.

I didn't know that it would charge the cap to avoid a spark, that;s interesting since I use a SF240 in one boat and I have never turned the RX power on first before plugging in Batts. I usually do it after and use an external portable spark suppressing resistor with alligator clips.

This is worth a try to see if it will work for me saving me a step. Do you turn on the SF300 switch it has after your packs are plugged in or before?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Default no snap

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    So a SF300 will see power to it's caps as soon as you apply power from your BEC cct. Because it's OPTO coupled and has no BEC, there is no battle with an internal BEC.

I didn't know that it would charge the cap to avoid a spark, that;s interesting since I use a SF240 in one boat and I have never turned the RX power on first before plugging in Batts. I usually do it after and use an external portable spark suppressing resistor with alligator clips.

This is worth a try to see if it will work for me saving me a step. Do you turn on the SF300 switch it has after your packs are plugged in or before?
    my esc switch is disconnected. I run my receiver plug from the bec into a dubro on-off switch. I connect my bec power cables to one of my 5s packs which has short pos and neg connectors soldered into the wires before my bullets. once bec is connected my receiver is powered on and steering servo goes on. then I connect up my packs series and parallel.. thats it.