Thread: Paris 24 hour race.

Default Paris 24 hour race.

There is an annual 24 hour open boat race going on in Paris France, and for the first time there are FE entries.

I believe it is an open class with a kinked offshore type course, run on an inshore lake. the folks I know are running 12s 16Ah giving them 25-30 minute stints, 8x packs and 4 chargers.

there is a bunch of videos on facebook, but I don't know how to link to it, if you are interested and know how, tell me how, or search Walter Geens, Aad Bervoets, or Fabrice Thepaut on facebook.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

After 7 hours the 2 FE boats are leading, about 60 laps clear of the first IC boat.

It is getting dark in Paris now.

Last edited by NativePaul; 05-26-2017 at 06:42 PM.

AWESOME!!! Guys were hinting here if electric could do a 10 minute race or something. 24 hours is wild!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Looks like they are using reflective tape to cut a light beam to count laps?
    Nortavlag Bulc

10 minutes would be no problem, the Naviga FSR-E class has a 15 minute runtime plus in lap, on 840g (1lb 14oz) of battery.

Timing is done with a mylaps/amb transponder system as with most of the bigger races in Europe and all Naviga races.

Reflective tape is to see the boats at night.

FSR-E race

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    10 minutes would be no problem, the Naviga FSR-E class has a 15 minute runtime plus in lap, on 840g (1lb 14oz) of battery.

Timing is done with a mylaps/amb transponder system as with most of the bigger races in Europe and all Naviga races.

Reflective tape is to see the boats at night.

FSR-E race[video=youtube;eYMj-z9FEXM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYMj-
    Cool. Can you send me on the web to where I can see one of these boats and how it's rigged?

What is an in lap mate? I speak Canuckistan.
    Nortavlag Bulc

The latest update is that they have completed 20 hours, just 4 hours to go and the leaders have passed the 2000 lap mark, the FE teams are now 1st and 3rd with the 1st IC boat being 200 laps behind the leaders and 3rd place another 100 laps behind them. It looks like team transporter had some issues overnight, here's hoping that they can catch back up in the next few hours.

At the end of the time, you get to finish the lap you are on (the in lap) the time it takes you to finish that lap is recorded against you, and if there are multiple competitors with the same lap count the one with the least time is the winner.

I don't speak French so I haven't looked into any French sites, but searching viry chatilleon 24 brings me up some results, and I was wrong the people I know are doing if for the first time, but the first electric entry was last year.
    This looks like the club's page for it, the electrique section has some pictures and limited info on last year's boat. http://cnv-offshoremodel.com/crbst_13.html
    This is France's premier fast boat forum and the page about the race that I found, if you search that forum using your Canuckistanian you may find more, including build threads, if you do, please post it here. http://www.offshore-rc.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42075-24h-de-viry-chatillon/

The final results are in, the transporters almost pulled it back but not quite. FE teams came 1st and third, first place had 2423 laps, 2nd place 2186 laps and 3rd place finished just 18 laps behind, pulling 84 laps back on the first IC boat in the last 4 hours.

This is the inside of the winning boat.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 05-27-2017 at 05:29 PM.

These setups must be pulling some really low amps. Those look like EC5 connectors!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I can't imagine hearing a IC boat for 24 hours!

Insane...
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I can't imagine hearing a IC boat for 24 hours!
    Haha it gets annoying after just a few minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    These setups must be pulling some really low amps. Those look like EC5 connectors!
    The Electrics were running 25-30 minute stints like the IC boats and both boats were running 12s 16Ah of battery which means they were averaging averaging around 30 Amps (1.4kw). From other boats those I know in The Transporter team run, I would suspect full throttle to be about double that so 60A (2.8kw) and peaks amps to be about 100A.

And this from a Dutch team running a gasser

"In our opinion, should be in the future, the organisation run on a separate rating (Electro / Nitro) to worry about, so our proposal for the coming years"

Found here
    https://www.facebook.com/stefan.enge...07670939249307

This always gets old, electric beats gas and the gassers want to change the rules. I have had the same in our club, trying to keep me out from beating them, lol one day they will get it!

It makes me wonder if I would be allowed to run in our offshore series? Sooo tempted to try it!

test

hello everyone!

I am happy to see some interest!

I am the builder of the winning boat but it took 4 years to win! the first year, we finished 8th of 17 teams. This year, we have been able to put all the experience in the boat and the Cayman MHZ is a good allweather hull.

@NativePaul: we were running 21 minutes stints, leaving 20-25% in the packs, we had 4-5 sets of 12s 16000 packs for the race, those packs are the cheapest we can buy (HK multistars 16000 10c) , but they do the job on 20-25 minutes runs. Peak Amps is 60...

In France, they want to keep the rules as they are, but I think we can make 2700 laps, not sure the gassers will appreciate...

Vincent

Hi Brushman
    Really like what you have achieved. I was thinking you must be running low C batts. Can you share a little more info on your setup? What size is the boat, what size motor and kv? What size props, speed etc?
    We have a (sigh) majority of gassers running offshore endurance racing here in New Zealand. It would be fun to beat them at their own game! Usually they run 2 x 20 min and 1 x 1 hour races for events. I guess it would take 3 packs to do it for a 1 hour race as the batts would only charge at 1c.

Hello Peter,

hull: https://www.mhz-powerboats.com/shop/...80mm-46-5?c=67
    motor: http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=338
    Prop; Prather S255, Graupner K63
    ESC: seaking 130 HV Hobbywing
    Max speed : 60km/h

This setup is good for endurance, and because of the tight turns which is not allowing gas boats to corner so well and need to slow before the buoys, and accelerate after. On an Oval path, electric will not win if you try to use 16000 mAh/ 20 minutes. If you put a bigger motor( 2280 lehner or a TP 5070) and 12 S 22000 20-25c packs, you can expect to win. Best KV around 400, Prather S270. Prather prop is far superior to a standard Octura for efficiency. The Cayman or the Alligator should work, Challenger 43 also, delta force Sniper because this hull has a riding pad, means no drag, but need for flaps and turn fins.

Vincent

Hi Vincent
    Thanks for the info. I have been looking at building up a DF Sniper for next year. Motor options are Leo 5692 540 kv, or TP 5850 450kv, running 12s means that even with my 5000 mah 70C revos it would be fast enough for oval sprints with the right prop. I see that there are 6s 20000 mah multistar batts available too, which would allow for a little higher speeds. The offshore boats here do 80-90 kph, but in endurance turning laps is what matters.
    Interesting what you say about the prather props also, I have found on my current 42" mono (TP 4060 1650 kv, 6s) that a prather 225 or 230 is more stable and efficient than octuras. Last club day I took second in the first mono heat on the 230, and dropped to the 225 and won the other three heats, all against bigger gassers!

Peter.

Hello Peter,

you should go for the TP, it is a six poles, better for turning a large prop. I did use the 20000 multistars during the 24 hours, averaging 27 minutes. They are not good for more than 4c continuous. the SLS 21Ah are the best actually but I am not sure they do more than 5-7C continuous.
    Yes the Prather is smoother and not hard on packs...

Hi Vincent
    This all gives me things to plan through for a build. The TP motor will be enough to perform for sprint races, using my revos, I can pull around 4500 W, or about 6hp at 100 A. Heaps of power, should do close to 120kph. Dropping down to 50 A on some 20000 mah even at 2.5C will still give some 2200 W or around 3 hp equivalent, still good for 70 kph and around 20 mins runtime, all things being tuned and set up right. I like this plan. Time to save up.
    I will be heading to an offshore event on Saturday, all gassers except one nitro, so I might sound out the feeling of running an electric next year.