Thread: Leo 4082, 1600kv, on 8s, and 48mm, 1.7 pitch, 3-blade prop?? (twin setup)

Default Leo 4082, 1600kv, on 8s, and 48mm, 1.7 pitch, 3-blade prop?? (twin setup)

I ordered 2-blade, 48mm, 1.7 pitch props and was sent 3-blade. I felt like I was already asking a lot of the 1600kv Leopard 4082's to push this 36" Zelos, on 8s, with that 2-blade prop, so now I'm wondering if I'd be pushing it too far to go ahead and run these 3-blades. The prop's are the aluminum CNC VXP's from Singapore, so I'm trying to decide whether to use them or wait another month for the correct prop's, and send these back. Anybody have experience to share?

Thanks,
    Michael P.

20170516_144327.jpg

No direct experience, but I've run an x447/3 on my Voracity with the stock 4082 1650kv motor on 6S. That's about as much prop as you can run and still keep a marginal amount of headroom in the motor and ESC. To up the diameter by 1mm and go from 1.4 to 1.7 pitch ratio is significant,, not to mention the increased voltage of 8S. Seems like a lot of prop to this novice.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

What ESC's are you using Michael? 3 Blades "Should" create more motor load and create more hull lift as well.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Here are some of the top setups from the Zelos fast list:

MPH: 93.75
    Prop: ABC 1817
    ESC: Castle 240
    Motor: DYNS1630
    Batteries: Dynamite Reaction 5000 50C 11.1v LiPos x4

Member: Keagan-Z06
    MPH: 86.5
    Prop: abc 1815-17-45
    ESC: Seaking 180
    Motor: TP4050
    Batteries: (4)x Turnigy HD 3S 4000
    Mods: OSE Flex, Sharpened Rudder, Polish Flex.

Member: Erroneous
    MPH: 86.4
    Prop: Dasboata ABC1915-17-45
    Mods: Sharpened rudder, Sanded Sponsons, High torque Servo
    ESC: Swordfish 240
    Motor: Poseidon 1515
    Batteries: (4) 3S Revolectrix 435 silver labels
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Those ABC props are what I was trying to get for this hull, but NO ONE has them, and supposedly Jim, at ABC is months behind on filling orders. So I thought I would give the VXP's a test. The general rule with going from 2 to 3 blade props is to decrease diameter when blade count increases. In this case I'm staying at the same diameter and increasing blade count, so...??? I've never pushed one of these motors to the breaking point, so I'm not sure how close I might be to that limit. And as for ESC's, I have a pair of new Seaking 180A V3's sitting here for it, but that was when I was planning to run it on 6s. I just bought four new 4s packs to run 8s, per side and I believe these Seaking's are only rated up to 6s. I'm going to have to get different ESC's. Maybe I'll get some HV Swordies or something.

To be clear, you said you have 1.7 pitch 48mm 3 blade props. 1.7 is a steeply pitched prop

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    To be clear, you said you have 1.7 pitch 48mm 3 blade props. 1.7 is a steeply pitched prop
    You got it. 48mm dia, and 1.7 pitch. Definitely not a sport-running prop. The ABC 1817-17-45's are what others have used on theirs (like the ones Tameless shared, above). 1.8in = 48.2mm and 1.7 pitch. Since they are out of stock everywhere, I just thought I'd experiment with a VXP 1817...but in a 2-blade, not a three blade.
    I'm basically only going after SAW passes with this thing before I decide to keep it or sell it.

1.8" =45.7mm. You're closer 1917 at 48mm, blade rake and profile aside. Plus a third blade. If you're going to run them, I'd do it for very short runs to check on temps. Logging wouldn't hurt either. I bet it will fly, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    1.8" =45.7mm. You're closer 1917 at 48mm, blade rake and profile aside. Plus a third blade. If you're going to run them, I'd do it for very short runs to check on temps. Logging wouldn't hurt either. I bet it will fly, that's for sure
    Oh, you're right - 1.8in is 45.72mm. I was going off the OSE product page for those prop's:

"ABC Cleaver Series 2 Blade Propellers, .45 Bar
    1.6 Inch (40.6mm) to 1.8 Inch (48.2mm) diameter props.

Fits 3/16"(4.75mm) Shafts.

Availible in three different pitches
    1.5, 1.7 or 1.9 Pitch Ratio
    As pitch increases the blade angle increases."

Thanks for the bad math, OSE!

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and run them and keep a close eye on temps until I feel comfortable with WOT passes.

I will own this boat someday, I want a twin so bad. Outrigger build first, outrigger build first.....
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    I will own this boat someday, I want a twin so bad. Outrigger build first, outrigger build first.....
    I will say this about the Zelos 36 - it is a very strong layup. The one I am working on, I bought from fweasel as an empty hull with no hardware. Finding the hardware has been a challenge so I don't recommend this route, haha. Honestly, the boat I've had the most fun with (bang for the buck) has been my HobbyKing 36" Flowmaster. That hull is basically a Daytona/Genesis (I did a comparison against the two with the Daytona hull I had). All I've done is upgrade the ESC's, and put a good set of prop's on it. I filled the tips with epoxy, and the bow with two-part expanding foam. It's stout, stable and moves pretty good on 3s per motor, plus makes a fantastic rooster-tail.

These pic's are shameful (they're cropped a lot to zoom in on the boat), but you get the idea...

DSCN2731.jpg
    DSCN2724.jpg
    DSCN2726.jpg

Mmm, those props look good. Those would likely be great on my 42" cat. Three blade prop will pull more amps. You can knock the amps down with the added voltage but it is a fine line and with 48mm props may be iffy.
    Like has been said, just monitor the passes and let me know if you wanna sell those. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by lt130th View Post
    Those ABC props are what I was trying to get for this hull, but NO ONE has them, and supposedly Jim, at ABC is months behind on filling orders. So I thought I would give the VXP's a test. The general rule with going from 2 to 3 blade props is to decrease diameter when blade count increases. In this case I'm staying at the same diameter and increasing blade count, so...??? I've never pushed one of these motors to the breaking point, so I'm not sure how close I might be to that limit. And as for ESC's, I have a pair of new Seaking 180A V3's sitting here for it, but that was when I was planning to run it on 6s. I just bought four new 4s packs to run 8s, per side and I believe these Seaking's are only rated up to 6s. I'm going to have to get different ESC's. Maybe I'll get some HV Swordies or something.
    what abc are you looking for ?

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Mmm, those props look good...let me know if you wanna sell those. Lol
    I knew you would like these!

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    what abc are you looking for ?
    I was looking for left and right ABC 1915-17-45. I wanted something a bit more extreme for SAW passes, but now, with these VXP's, I think I might have plenty of extreme. I do still need left and right 2215's.

I was looking for left and right ABC 1915-17-45. I wanted something a bit more extreme for SAW passes, but now, with these VXP's, I think I might have plenty of extreme. I do still need left and right 2215's.
    I can bounce the CG of BlownAway around pretty good so pitch or not I can run/log it.

no good still waiting for those to get here sorry !

lt130th, have you run your setup yet?
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    lt130th, have you run your setup yet?
    Not yet. Still building and life is coming up with more things to take time away from it, lately. I hope to have it ready for the water in the next few weeks.

Not yet. Still building and life is coming up with more things to take time away from it, lately. I hope to have it ready for the water in the next few weeks.
    Life.... ugh. I know how you feel, lol.