Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DF Vortex 34 Hydro Build

Thanks Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    What are all the holes in the strut upright Craig?
    They are for the seal retainer plate. The one closest to the strut hole is a broken tap! The upper two are threaded holes. I do it differently now, I use a retainer clip like a Cir-Clip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slick!!! I like it!!

I ran the boat 15 times when first installed then took the shaft out, the grease was fine. Slight discoloration due to the copper fines mixing in. Re-greased and ran another 15, same thing. I’m now on run 22 with the third change. It’s easy to put too much in, and it will leak out at the coupling. I use a silicone sleeve there, like many others. After a run or two, it will stop that and maintain the grease. I have a procedure for my boats now, they all have sealed struts. The Hydro, Mono and Cat have different grease loads.... it’s a possibility I can run the whole season. I’m going to run 30 times then check it.. Better to sneak up on it then assume!

Setting up to run today... I think I stepped backwards converting to two, 4s batteries. It is flying more in front and will pick up some pretty vicious sponson walking in rough water and wind. It needs more weight up front. So this month I’m going to convert it back to four, 2s cells so I can get the batteries more forward that I can the 4s batts. Dropping the strut some did not solve the problem, and I think that’s a poor way to fix another problem.

Tony Hellar built this hull and I think he said he got his batts in each sponson, running lengthwise. For the life of me I can’t figure out how he did that! I couldn’t get the Turnigy batts in there. That’s the best place weight wise which is probably why his boat ran very well.

I’m also running the slower 1050kv motor. At 1250, the hull was just too fast heading into corners and I had to back off. I’ve ended up running very small props, X442 and such. So I want to turn it slower and get back to larger wheels. I was showing the low-60’s on 1050 motor and M445 and Prather B220 earlier in the summer. So I think that’s the better route to faster speeds. I’m driving better now, it’s been an experience!

I want to thank all for the support and good advice through this. I’ve really enjoyed the build and learning process.

I’m going to give a lower rpm a shot on my big hydro that is upcoming. I think there could be runtime to gain too out of the HV and lower RPM method

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123