Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proboat Zelos G 48" Cat Gas Powered!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=6AL9f7vFIB8 Watch the vid.. This is cavitation folks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYVfm_elkA @ :27 of my vid. This is a twin electric setup, no clutches. Is my clutch slipping? Granted there are twice the props pushing this thing but the cavitation is obvious. Too much throttle from the hole....

Well I will let you know very soon what I think about this, I couldn't resist and ordered one. I have a few buddies that are pretty dedicated racers and I am sure my boat won't be stock for long and we will get a handle on this. It sure sounds like cavitation to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BPINE View Post
    I mean this in a nice way is it this 1 documented clutch issue or am I missing something?
    Another person who bought one gave it a scathing review on the Horizon website and ended up returning it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    Another person who bought one gave it a scathing review on the Horizon website and ended up returning it.
    Hmm this could be interesting, seems that guy doesn't understand how to tune a 2 stroke and there are plenty of props out there that will work for this boat, props hit things and break part of the hobby but for people that buy a RTR should be able to buy stock props when needed.

Thats another thing that needs to be understood. Props are either good for top end or hole shot. The trick is finding a happy median. This is true for full scale boats as well. The prop is in effect a gear, you cant take off from a stop in 4th gear in your car. The gear is not set up for that. If they would have put a prop on this boat that was good for holeshot everyone would cry that its only doing 40mph topped out (1st-2nd gear).... Lastly there is a reason that in any form of hobby or racing the guy who spends more time/money on his setup is in first place.

A variable pitch prop would be interesting, eh guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYVfm_elkA @ :27 of my vid. This is a twin electric setup, no clutches. Is my clutch slipping? Granted there are twice the props pushing this thing but the cavitation is obvious. Too much throttle from the hole....
    No need to be a dick.. Raphael has admitted there is a problem with my boat. I sent him my motor.. idk how many boats have the issue. Watch the product video for the zelos g it's a lot different from my video it has hole shot no problem, stands up and goes! Watch the video I made - rc boat problem, when I go by the camera the rpm change and the jet stream behind the boat has no change. If the prop was changing rpm the jet stream should change even if the boat doesn't accelerate? When I have this issue, I could hold the throttle floored and the boat would go about 3 miles an hour in definitely whether I'm going straight or turning with my RPMs through the roof.

This is not my first boat, or even proboat. If this is how the boat is then I would say the rockstar is better. After talking with Raphael I am sure mine is having issues. Per the developer

Now we can argue this out like Internet tough guy's? Or wait for Rafael next week to say what is wrong? If he says it is me I will be glad to post that up here. I am not above error. I could ask him to join in the thread?

How was I being a ----?.... Showing my point of view and providing proof from my experience?....Good luck to you.....

Any updates?

Any updates?

I just got my motor back from Raphael. He just changed my clutch shoes for some others that he had around.. I have change the shoes twice already my self that's a total for 4 sets of clutch shoes in 1.5 gallons.. Who's to say the clutch material that got worn off didn't get sucked into my engine and cause wear to the bearing or rings(or set me up for premature masive failure).. he was to busy to run my motor.. I will put the motor in my boat this week after work and run the boat this weekend. If the problem is not corrected I am just going to box it up and send it back. I am done trying! If proboat cant fix it, I dont want to spend the time or money to.

I dont want to speak for BPINE but I will say he is not impressed with the boat, even a little bit.

I want the boat to be good(cause other wise I am a fool for buying it) but I am just about out of faith. I have never been so disappointed in a boat, proboat, or ANY of my rc purchases at this point. I will not buy a proboat off the product video anymore and that's for sure..

And for erroneous, you have been tolling me ever since I posted my problem. You post repetitively with out reading what I wrote. You need to watch my video "rc boat problem" I edited it out in the other videos(as previously stated) because I was not trying to make the boat look like a pos. in the video rc boat problem- at about 10 second in, you will hear the motors rmps go crazy high. I try to feather the gas for over 10 seconds before it hooks up.. listen to the rpms of the motor if the prop was changing rpms with the motor the the stream behind the boat should change even if the boat doesn't accelerate(you will need sound). I know what caviation is.. I have de-tounged props on my zelos 36.. as for your props top end or bottom end, I will just say no.. I know your 100% right there but this is a stock rtr boat. It should cavitate that bad, watch the product video.. or the video of Raphael e-converted one, it comes out of the hole(in a turn) like a bat out of hell. I would like to keep the thread clean.. If you want to talk more feel free to pm me and I will send you my number so we can talk.

Rc boat problem
    https://youtu.be/rf81tHdorvg

Original product video
    https://youtu.be/1pqtCUND4Ds

Raphael e converted one
    https://youtu.be/lf7xocfUz3U

Well I unfortunately I bought one of these and I am more than a little disappointed. I have run about a gallon of fuel through it a little at a time because both water pick ups don't work very well, hardly a trickle and it gets pretty hot. I broke it in on a stand with a water pump running which worked just fine but in the water not much water at all. As discussed the clutch is not good, about 75% or so of the time it will not engage especially after it has been run a while. So far top speed about 37 mph according to the radar gun, far from 50 +++ as advertised. Last thing so far is don't turn left it will flip even at 1/2 throttle.
    Horizon has been a great resource for me I have bought a ton of stuff from them and have had a few problems which were taken care of but I just don't see how this boat is ever going to work.

Not trolling anyone. Tried giving advice to no avail. As I said, good luck to you.......
    Last edited by Erroneous; 07-31-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andygoesfast View Post
    I just got my motor back from Raphael. He just changed my clutch shoes for some others that he had around.. I have change the shoes twice already my self that's a total for 4 sets of clutch shoes in 1.5 gallons.. Who's to say the clutch material that got worn off didn't get sucked into my engine and cause wear to the bearing or rings(or set me up for premature masive failure).. he was to busy to run my motor.. I will put the motor in my boat this week after work and run the boat this weekend. If the problem is not corrected I am just going to box it up and send it back. I am done trying! If proboat cant fix it, I dont want to spend the time or money to.

I dont want to speak for BPINE but I will say he is not impressed with the boat, even a little bit.

I want the boat to be good(cause other wise I am a fool for buying it) but I am just about out of faith. I have never been so disappointed in a boat, proboat, or ANY of my rc purchases at this point. I will not buy a proboat off the product video anymore and that's for sure..

And for erroneous, you have been tolling me ever since I posted my problem. You post repetitively with out reading what I wrote. You need to watch my video "rc boat problem" I edited it out in the other videos(as previously stated) because I was not trying to make the boat look like a pos. in the video rc boat problem- at about 10 second in, you will hear the motors rmps go crazy high. I try to feather the gas for over 10 seconds before it hooks up.. listen to the rpms of the motor if the prop was changing rpms with the motor the the stream behind the boat should change even if the boat doesn't accelerate(you will need sound). I know what caviation is.. I have de-tounged props on my zelos 36.. as for your props top end or bottom end, I will just say no.. I know your 100% right there but this is a stock rtr boat. It should cavitate that bad, watch the product video.. or the video of Raphael e-converted one, it comes out of the hole(in a turn) like a bat out of hell. I would like to keep the thread clean.. If you want to talk more feel free to pm me and I will send you my number so we can talk.

Rc boat problem
    https://youtu.be/rf81tHdorvg

Original product video
    https://youtu.be/1pqtCUND4Ds

Raphael e converted one
    https://youtu.be/lf7xocfUz3U
    Wow. Too bad Raphael couldnt have done more for you considering he reached out to you . As for Bpine, sorry to hear you are experiencing similar and different issues considering the cooling. I guess the best bet is to just buy the hull and build the rest yourself. Very disappointing to say the least because i was hoping there would be a fix from Proboat for these problems.

Andy!!! Let me kno when you go out this weekend. Im glad i didnt get one too. Effing clutches. Yours deff not right. Your zelos should smoke my gator not run about the same.

Wow. Too bad Raphael couldnt have done more for you considering he reached out to you . As for Bpine, sorry to hear you are experiencing similar and different issues considering the cooling. I guess the best bet is to just buy the hull and build the rest yourself. Very disappointing to say the least because i was hoping there would be a fix from Proboat for these problems.
    I think Andy's issues are pretty much the same as mine, I don't think he got a fair chance to try it. Mine is on it's way back to HH I hope they get it fixed right if so it will be a nice boat. I am real nervous, a big RC purchase and so far the biggest let down I have had in the hobby in over 40 years.

Thats too bad. I was hoping they meaning Proboat would possibly get a handle on the problem and have it sorted. I was thinking of grabbing one but after reading these posts i will decline. Im wondering why the Rockstar didnt have these issues?

Take the clutch off and put a coupler on it, see how it runs then. I wouldn't want a clutch on it anyway but that's just me. More crap to wear out and cause other issues

Agreed. Curious to see if anyone will go that route. Top speed should be quicker without the slippage

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Take the clutch off and put a coupler on it, see how it runs then. I wouldn't want a clutch on it anyway but that's just me. More crap to wear out and cause other issues
    You are totally right the clutch probably has to go, I was buying this as a play boat and I thought the clutch would be great for that but it isn't working out so good. I am hoping HH can at least address some of the other problems and maybe even fix the clutch if not I am not really sure what I am going to do.

Mine should be back at HH this Friday lets hope there is a fix for the problems I am having. A real bummer to pay this much for a boat now I will be without it for a month in prime boating season.

Well I don't have anything much positive to report other than HH took very good care of me as usual. I didn't get an explanation of what was really wrong with my Zelos but they sent me a brand new one. The new boat wasn't much better and after hours of tuning I finally got it to a lethargic 42mph. It isn't a good handling boat at all so I returned it to HH for a refund which I received.

Well, there you have it.

Wow. At least they refunded your purchase. Wasnt from lack of trying thats for sure.

I have a RTR gas boat,,, real boat !!! no clutch in the 4 sale section

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    I have a RTR gas boat,,, real boat !!! no clutch in the 4 sale section
    I am in the process of building an Insane mono should be done this weekend.

Default Conclusion..

Sorry for the long wait, for my reply.

I will start with Erroneous. I Am SORRY! Truly I am. I have been under a lot of stress during the time I owned the boat(friend died, work, home, cars, rc boats, etc).. I am not sure that you are right but I will returned the boat so I will never know. Blair in the end, said it was caviation too. He tried all the different heights and angles for the prop. Also he tried different props. So, for all I know its a bad hull design or bad hardware causing caviation that really seems like a clutch to me.

Conclusion of my experience with the zelos g:
    I sent my boat in for repairs after I continued to have problems and gps'ed the boat at 35.6 mph(top speed). The product support people couldn't tell me what was wrong with my boat and offered a replacement. I declined and asked for a refund. They said they would get me one. I have been waiting now for almost 2 weeks for a check in the amount that I bought the boat for.

I will stay subscribed to this tread in hopes that someone buys one and makes it work right. This boat was just not for me, there are a lot of other boats out there in this price range with fewer to 0 problems. If I want to build a boat I would have bought a hull and build one(no time right now). This guys was not rtr. I would recommend having a very good build plan before picking one of these boats up.

Dont sweat it man. We have all been there. I have literally (back in the formula nitro v days) thrown a boat as hard as I could into the lake only to have it laugh at me and stick the landing. Could have painted boobies on my forehead.... Glad you came back, the bug is toxic and incurable. Every boat has its demons and everyone has their own theories untill they tune for a while and nail it.

Default Zelos 48g clutch problems

Quote Originally Posted by andygoesfast View Post
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AL9f7vFIB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[url]https://youtu.be/6AL9f7vFIB8[/urln

Video of my new Zelos g running!

I have a problem with it.. The clutch is slipping and horizon will only send me new shoes or I have to send the motor in and wait two weeks for them to look at it.. I am almost sure its not the shoes, there are worn now but I this there's a bigger problem. The boat has 2-3 tanks through it. it had the problem the whole time.. even during break in I am disappointed in the customer service at this point.. Its a new boat, I want it fixed before next weekend or a new boat before the week end. Accept for the clutch the boat is great! Anyone have a idea how I can run my boat again this weekend?
    I just bought this boat and had the same problem but the proboat rep I talked to said it was a break in problem and it was . You need to start leaning the motor out and as soon as you get the RPMS up the clutch problem will go away . Now my issue is the flex shaft keeps breaking . I am talking to proboat rep and he is sending me a new shaft

I have two of these Zelos 48G's and two members of our club each have one.

They all run about 44mph bone stock and are a blast. A 1.4 pitch prop will get you to 45-46 mph and fixes any clutch issue. We all had to fiddle with them and run 2 or 3 tanks of gas to get them running well.

I'm sure we'll have these boats running 47-49mph as we learn to dial them in.

But even at 44-45 mph running these boats all together is such a blast. I'd like to get another so I can join my two sons and have 5 of these all running together.

Spray WD40 in the clutch housing and get needle clamps for the carb, also run the NGK CMR7H.

My one son has flipped his 3 or 4 times and it always lands prop side down and keeps running. I think these are the most fun boats on race day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast