Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proboat Zelos G 48" Cat Gas Powered!

Just delete the clutch. Clutches in boats are stupid anyway. Totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    Just delete the clutch. Clutches in boats are stupid anyway. Totally unnecessary.
    I was going to say the same thing. Just try to find a coupler that fits the engine shaft and flex shaft. OSE has a few nitro/gas engine couplers. The only thing is you'll need to be a bit more careful when you start the engine and launch your boat as the prop will start spinning as soon as the engine starts.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Quote Originally Posted by DBJr View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. Just try to find a coupler that fits the engine shaft and flex shaft. OSE has a few nitro/gas engine couplers. The only thing is you'll need to be a bit more careful when you start the engine and launch your boat as the prop will start spinning as soon as the engine starts.
    True, but safe nonetheless. Disclaimer: If you're under 14 years of age, clumsy, find yourself half in the bag while operating boats, or don't have a fully functioning brain, do not operate a gas powered r/c boat without a clutch. There ya go lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodrvr View Post
    True, but safe nonetheless. Disclaimer: If you're under 14 years of age, clumsy, find yourself half in the bag while operating boats, or don't have a fully functioning brain, do not operate a gas powered r/c boat without a clutch. There ya go lol.

I was thinking the same thing for diagnoses. I really like the clutch, I can come to a stop if need be. I am ordering a water pump this week. I dont think my OCD would like not being able to stop the boat in the water if something came up.. sometimes I will let a boat idle while I am checking my surrounding for hazards, I dont think I would like it if I had to keep a eye on it when ever it was running.. I already installed a killer bee so I can cut ignition any time, but then I would have to retrieve the boat. If it was a top speed race only boat I wouldn't run a clutch but I like them for my sport boats. I like the safety factor of the clutch, for the what if.. It only takes one time, safety first. I have back ground in planes and helis too, I have seen some nasty trips to the er over a damn rc's.. I would assume buy the good clutch, I can make the money back. I value my fingers and boat greater than the cost of a good clutch. Just would like HH to step up and fix it. I dont think I should have to do anything to a rtr boat to enjoy it. If I dropped a higher output motor in there I would expect to have to buy a clutch but not for a stock boat(Am I being unreasonable?).

I do REALLY appreciate the input from you guys! This is a electric forum and you guys are offering help! I had a flame suit 2 layer thick ready, when I posted the problem!

I know what you mean about the RTR. That's whole idea of buying a RTR...throw gas or batteries in it and go. Eventually, things will wear/break, but you should be able to run it for a few months before those things happen. You bought a great kill switch! I wouldn't worry about getting hurt without a clutch. I'd worry more about getting hurt by a plane. When I was first teaching myself to fly, I started a bad habit of standing in the center of the runway while landing, then have the plane just go by me by a few feet as it touched down. I was fascinated watching the planes crabbing in on crosswinds. Well, one time on final it caught a gust and I dumbthumbed it in fear of crashing and almost hit myself with it! That was the last time I stood on the runway lol.

From what you described in an earlier post, it sounds like a spring issue more than anything. When you are rolling into the throttle the springs are holding the clutches away from the bell and they only engage with a shock of full throttle blast. I may be wrong but after watching the 2nd vid again im sure thats whats happening. I must say i admire your attitude through all of this, as you have been pretty reasonable considering the frustration you are experiencing. I hope Ralphael is reading this thread and helps you out when you finally meet up.

If that's the case, he can get a pair of lighter springs.

I spoke with Rafael this morning. Great guy! Knows his boats and stands behind them! He took a hour on the phone listening to my problem, troubleshooting, and recommending setup changes. I have determined that he designed the boat, and knows it better that anyone else. I am going to follow his instructions for diagnostic from here forward. His instructions were to lean the motor out, and report back. He suggested that the motor was still to rich and if I lean the motor out it would make more torque and be more likely to engage the clutch. I was tuning the boat off tempture, Rafael told me to lean it out till it stutters and then richen it up a little. So, I will lean out the motor and report back lol.

Last nite I pulled my clutch shoes and weighed the shoes, there the exact same down to the 1\10 of a gram. I took emery cloth and clean the points where the shoes contact each other on the back side. The motor is back together and ready to go in after work today. I dont think I fixed anything with the removal this time. I did notice that I can pull the the motor pretty quick now-a-days..

I will keep you guys updated.

P.s. the new shoes came with a new spring in between them. So I have already ran 2 different pro boat springs in my boat.

Actually, the spark plug color will determine correct fuel mixture. You want to tune for WOT operation.

Now we're headed the right direction.

@post #11... Jus sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    @post #11... Jus sayin.
    I did lean it out( a bunch!) as much as I felt was save, after the break in. He told me the motor like to run really lean so, I am going to keep leaning it out till it sputters then richin it up a little. I know the motor is still rich for a fact because, he told me that his boat runs a neutral strut angle and constant 53 mph on the gps and looks way dryer in the videos then mine(my boat is negative about 1 degree, speeds in the low to mid 40's,and looks wetter in the video then his).. So that means mine is lacking power for sure! If that fixes the clutch that would be real nice but I will be happy(enjoy the little things) when it goes fast than my buddy stock rock star with a cy-26, that's a start.

Im glad you have a possible solution to your problem. I mentioned the spring problem because a friend i was talking to about your situation told me about the same symptoms he experienced with a skidoo a few years ago that displayed high rpms before engaging, then it would basically almost throw him off of it when it engaged. Found out the springs were bad in the clutch and replaced it and solved the problem. Good luck the rest of the way with the Zelos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gm7c6-ersQ

link to the newest video(yesterday)

I took my zelos out yesterday to lean the motor out at Raphael's instruction. The boat is now impressive fast but still has the clutch issue(again not shown in video through the magic of editing). I am getting better at driving with out slowing down. When I dont lift off the throttle once the clutch is engaged, it never has a problem . Already in communication with Raphael about it and figuring out the next step. This is a video just to show its fast now... That makes me happy, hope to figure out the clutch soon. This boat got another rough review on HH website, I am just trying to get mine fixed. I like it enough that I will buy a bonzi clutch if that's what it takes. I hope it doesn't come to that.. I will cut HH of of my money for selling a boat advertised as rtr but actually requires another $250 part to run right.

Sounds like it's still running rich. Should be pulling more RPMs than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    Sounds like it's still running rich. Should be pulling more RPMs than that.
    For the record the problem is getting worse with the extra power.

I cant lean it out more. I leaned it till it sputtered, then richn maybe a 1/16 turn. I had leaned it out a good bit(about 3/8 of a turn over all from last time running). If its not hitting full rpms there would have to be another problem.

I plan to balance and sharpen the prop, see if I cant get a little more out of it.

After watching the vid i noticed a definite improvement but it seems to be lacking rpms in the upper range. Maybe the engine is at its max at that point? Cant get anymore out of the combination? Have you checked for WOT? I know it sounds stupid but something is holding it back. I have experienced similar situations in drag engines that i have built and worked on. Hope you get it resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    After watching the vid i noticed a definite improvement but it seems to be lacking rpms in the upper range. Maybe the engine is at its max at that point? Cant get anymore out of the combination? Have you checked for WOT? I know it sounds stupid but something is holding it back. I have experienced similar situations in drag engines that i have built and worked on. Hope you get it resolved.
    I am very familiar with checking my end points. From the factory it would only open 7/8, I fixed it with my controller right after my first tank of gas when I tore the boat apart to see if it was something easy in the clutch.

How do we know this engine and prop combo spin higher than want my boat was doing? My other boats have ported engines and run way higher rpms but there a completely different beast's(Bonzi's and enforcer's). I was happy with how fast the boat moved in my last video. Its no electric, but plenty fast for a 1k rtr boat(it has a 45 minute run time with a full tank). Iknow how to make it faster but thats a winter project.

I am at about 2k above sea level I know the air is a little thinner here but I dont think that would cause it? I leaned the motor out a bunch(maybe to lean), more than I would ever on any of my other two strokes.

I also checked to make sure the prop is not slipping on the shaft.

I used to tune the top end on my super-jet engine by tethering the ski(in the water) to my truck with rope and and opening the throttle all the way. I would then lean the motor out slowly till I heard max rpms. then richin it a 1/16. I was going to try something like that with the boat once the clutch is fixed.

The motor is out of the boat right now. Boxed and ready to ship to Raphael. I dont trust the people at hh support with my motor.. I have been talking with Raphael and we agreed that the easiest way to fix it would be for me to send him my motor. I trust him, He deigned the boat . I will ask him to run it hard before its return. I would have drove the whole boat down to him( for some test ' tune) but I haven't had any time away from work.. Its been hard to even get to the lake next to my house.

Tuning a carb by sound is not the way to tune a carb on a gas engine. That method is for nitro engines.

Pull the spark plug, if the tip is black its running too rich..... Rafael is good people. It should get sorted. Just keep in mind that the smaller the internal combustion engine is the more temperature, humidity and pressure play a role. Could run fantastic in SoCal for him and be rich/lean for you in Fl.

Air density at 2k above sea level would be alot less. If you had it lean, it would make the problem worse. Air temp and humidity also plays into it as well. If the air is thin and you optimized the mixture to where you had it running in the video, maybe its as good as it can be. A look at the plug will determine whether if it was too lean or not. Hope Raphael can help you figure it out.

Not to Hijack a thread on my first post to this forum but I am really interested in this boat so I await the outcome. It sure seems like Rafael wants to make this right. Anyone know where I can find more info on this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by BPINE View Post
    Not to Hijack a thread on my first post to this forum but I am really interested in this boat so I await the outcome. It sure seems like Rafael wants to make this right. Anyone know where I can find more info on this boat?
    This tread is not specific to my problem. Its a general thread for the boat. The boat is still new so review are thin(and not good (probably in part(or all) do to people that dont know how to deal with the 2-stroke)). I will say gas boats have a different set of issues that will come up(both gas and electric have there + and -). What other questions did you have about it? Its great! accept the one issue I am having with it. I am still waiting for my shipping label as soon as its fixed or Raphael figures out the issue I will post what the problem was.

As for tuning off the spark plug, mine was bone dry! It looked like it was in a fuel injected car(clean with no build up).. I will run the motor richer than it was the other day normally, Just tried it because Raphael suggested it(for diagnostic).

If the plug was that clean then it was probably near the optimal mixture point. Running at that elevation also causes your tuning window to be narrower, so a small adjustment either way can decrease the performance. From the vid, it sounded very close.

Quote Originally Posted by andygoesfast View Post
    This tread is not specific to my problem. Its a general thread for the boat. The boat is still new so review are thin(and not good (probably in part(or all) do to people that dont know how to deal with the 2-stroke)). I will say gas boats have a different set of issues that will come up(both gas and electric have there + and -). What other questions did you have about it? Its great! accept the one issue I am having with it. I am still waiting for my shipping label as soon as its fixed or Raphael figures out the issue I will post what the problem was.

As for tuning off the spark plug, mine was bone dry! It looked like it was in a fuel injected car(clean with no build up).. I will run the motor richer than it was the other day normally, Just tried it because Raphael suggested it(for diagnostic).
    Thanks for sharing, I used to race Many Many years ago and am not interested in doing that again, I just want something to have fun with. I traded an old mini quad for a cheap Fei Lun FT011 which actually works really good and got me interested in boats again. A friend of mine has a Traxxas M41 which also nice for just playing around but the run time on what I have seen so far with electrics isn't very long this is why I got interested in the G-48.
    Before I make the plunge I need to be educated on my options for just a fun- fast enough to have fun with long run time boat I don't have to build.

I think the jury is still out on this one. I would wait a bit to see what unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    I think the jury is still out on this one. I would wait a bit to see what unfolds.
    Is the jury just out on this clutch problem, it seems from what I have read on many forums and talking to people that own them (Pro Boats)

they really like them and the support seems to be good. I know they are not a race boat but all I want to do is have a bit of fun and be able to get parts when needed.

Im a fan of Proboat as i own 2 older models that i have owned for 9 yrs now. It wasnt until a few years ago they really stepped up their program and the support increased dramatically. As far as the boat in question, i personally wouldnt spend a grand on a boat with documented issues until the bugs are worked out of it. This is where the increased product support aforementioned comes in to play and i have the utmost confidence it will be solved. But until then, nope.

I mean this in a nice way is it this 1 documented clutch issue or am I missing something?

Im sticking to my theory. The clutch is fine. Whats happening is as with all boats, at low speed high throttle/ power the prop is cavitating. There is not enough forward motion to supply enough water to create thrust. A negative pressure is still created in front of the prop so it draws in air from the surface. A lil finesse of the throttle or not letting out so much to turn will make a world of difference. A slightly bigger possibly lower pitch prop (at the sacrifice of speed) may work as well. Anyone else with more knowledge feel free to chime in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast