Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proboat Zelos G 48" Cat Gas Powered!

Default Proboat Zelos G 48" Cat Gas Powered!

Proboat seems to be dropping bombs the past few weeks. Something for the gas guys!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/48-quot...ator1_05112017
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

They are on a good one.... My fingers are still crossed for a rtr 48" twin.

lets hope the hulls are beefed up better than the previous gas cat

They've improved the strut design, that's for sure.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Fingers crossed for a 55" brushless DeepV!

not a cat fan, but the more I look at this model, the more im liking it. love the paint scheme.

just wondering what the HP rating is on the new 30cc engine that this boat is equipped with. I looked but couldn't find any specs on it.

Ive seen heavily modded Zenoahs rated at 7-9hp.. Id guess this one is around 5-6.

Unhappy Got one!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AL9f7vFIB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/6AL9f7vFIB8

Video of my new Zelos g running!

I have a problem with it.. The clutch is slipping and horizon will only send me new shoes or I have to send the motor in and wait two weeks for them to look at it.. I am almost sure its not the shoes, there are worn now but I this there's a bigger problem. The boat has 2-3 tanks through it. it had the problem the whole time.. even during break in I am disappointed in the customer service at this point.. Its a new boat, I want it fixed before next weekend or a new boat before the week end. Accept for the clutch the boat is great! Anyone have a idea how I can run my boat again this weekend?

That engine is running "Fat" also known as rich. Time to lean it a little bit. My Zelos 36 twin would SMOKE that thing! Go ELECTRIC! I do dig your boat though! I don't think the clutch is slipping. What prop are you running? Is it the stock one? It sounds like its running on the rich side. What two stroke oil are you running and what ratio?

Most gas/ nitro rc engines will come stock tuned extremely rich. Its best to run the first couple tanks of fuel at stock settings (somewhere around 1-1/2 to 2 turns out on the needle) to break in the cylinder and seat the compression ring. The extra "rich" mix will help carry out any metal debris during the seating/break in. 3 tanks in Id lean it out 1/8 turn in at a time. This thing will WAKE UP quick!

I am running blend-all two stroke oil, at 25:1. I know it's pig rich! I only ran a little over two tanks. I was going to start leaning it out but that would make the clutch slip worse(extra power). I edited out most of the slip in the video(not trying to bad mouth hh(but getting sad at them after my call)). U can really hear it in the video around 1 to 1:30 Minutes in. The rpm go way up and the boat slows down.

In a side note I also have a modded zelos 36(I read the zelos 36 part of the forum all the time!) .. it's awesome, but my buddy got this boat and I had to have one too! I like the gas run time.. I get tired of driving before I have to pull in for more fuel. The 36 would beat this guy in a race hands down even once I leaned it out.

I watched the vid and and I tend to agree about the clutch. but on some parts im thinking it could be cavitation. have you taken the clutch out and checked it? does the shoes look burnished at all?

Id nail it, get some heat in the pads and see what happens. Do some prep work on the prop and let her eat. The chances of two sets of clutch pads being wonky are close to nothing.

The pads have seen a lot of heat! I would say they are a little less than half worn! When I was breaking in the motor I told my self it's was prop wash but I wasn't that lucky. After the first time I took it apart I knew there was a slip in the clutch. I cleaned the clutch pads and bell. I have also checked to make sure the clutch pads move freely on the bolt and the clutch bell has no visible cracks the bearing feels smooth and no play. Hh is sending me clutch shoes and going to have boat expert call me today(there wasn't one in yesterday). My buddy bought the same boat and it works fine. Mine is great, accept the clutch

What does that Zenoah engine recommend for oil to fuel ratio in the manual?

The book said 25:1

Keep us updated. Im curious as to what is going on. Enjoyed the video though.

I have given up on product support on this guy.. I will just buy another company's clutch when the warranty is up on the boat. I think HH tried to come in on this boat with out breaking the 1k mark. I think it was their big short coming.. It doesn't have a ignition fail safe.. It has a clutch but no water pump?? The clutch works okay sometimes, but never 100% and free wheels the motor upto ?? rpm randomly.. This is a great hull but the cheap'ed out on some stuff. I dont think it right that it was sold as a rtr boat. I have bought a bunch of proboats and never had a problem, but this will be the last gas one ever! and maybe the last one ever. There are other company's that make WAY better gas boats(no names).. On a side note HH support is great if you know the part you want, but far from familiar with the actual working of a rc boat - especially a gas one.. Then there insulting and told me they dont know that there's a problem(you can hear it in my video). They want me to send the motor to the for 2+ weeks in the middle of boat season(never!). Do your self a favor, if you like the boat buy it as a hull and build it. The rtr means, I am ready to rage - that I just dropped 1K on this guy. Also even after I leaned this boat out its NO fast than my friends rockstar that box stock with a 26cc..

Im sorry it hasnt worked out well for you. I understand that your friend bought one as well and is he having any issues? I know the clutch is supposed to engage at 6 thousand rpm but judging from what im reading theres an obvious under lying problem that exists. Flexshaft issues maybe? I dont get why they want you to send them the engine when it seems to running fine. Its tranferring the most power thats the problem. Maybe Raphael can chime in and help.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
    Im sorry it hasnt worked out well for you. I understand that your friend bought one as well and is he having any issues? I know the clutch is supposed to engage at 6 thousand rpm but judging from what im reading theres an obvious under lying problem that exists. Flexshaft issues maybe? I dont get why they want you to send them the engine when it seems to running fine. Its tranferring the most power thats the problem. Maybe Raphael can chime in and help.
    Thank you for your continued support, this little boat is going to mentally break me! He is having the same problem. I know it's a 6k clutch lol, I ran a 8k on my modded 5ive(that was fun). The motor will free rev up to what my ear tach says is in the 20k range. Is not a slip problem, it's a engagement issue. When it does finally grab it goes from full rpms to the 8-10k range with a bang and then some chatter after it's engaged it doesn't slip uncontrollably, if at all. I read about proboat having issue with flex shafts. I don't see or feel any issues on the shaft when removed for service and it feels to move smooth in the sleeve. Could I be overlooking something there? They want the engine with the clutch on it, so they can idk?

I do have good news, I received a call last nite from Jeff in HH product support. He said he will have Raphael call/email me next week. So I guess I have hope again. I really want to like the boat, I am just furious that I am still having issues. Then to be insulted by the first rep yesterday sent me off the deep end.

Raphael will sort it out for you. Keep the faith. Ive dealt with the HH reps before so i totally sympathize with you. Hang in there!

Raphael will sort it out for you.
    This.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I think its cavitating. Ive watched the vid a few times.

@1:25 of the first vid. Clutch is fine, prop is cavitating..... 4rth or 5th time watching.

https://youtu.be/rf81tHdorvg

There you go.. it's not the prop..

just wondering if you made any adjustments to the strut height?

just wondering if you made any adjustments to the strut height?
    Yes, when I removed the boat from the box it was very positive, when I started messing with the boat I dried it out. Currently the strut is just slightly past neutral negative .5 - 1 degree, boat rides good there once on a plane. I don't think my clutch is slipping I just think it's binding up somehow. If you turn up the sound I think you can hear the motor rev way up and see no change in the water trail until it finally grabs then the boat accelerates great. You can see in the video from yesterday it runs okay now(speed wise). I have run de-tounged 2 blade props, I have been through the slip, I am almost sure there is something mechanically wrong.

I watched both videos numerous times last night at work(slow night lol) and i can see where it slips on the lower end of the rpm scale. I see where it seems just like cavitation also. My fastech nitro exhibits the same characteristics when i gun it from a low rpm, but its hard to judge by the video. You would know better than i but IMO it seems like there is something preventing that prop from biting the water whether its clutch or cavitation related. I hope you get it sorted as im a big fan of the boat and would like to purchase one in the near future.

Its worse when I try to roll into the throttle. That why I am almost sure its the clutch. I will take some pictures when I get it apart. I am on my second set of shoes there not looking good and I am only my first gallon of gas. when I rev it quickly, is the only time it will even go. If I stand on it to get the clutch to lock, then I can back off a little but if I try to increasing rpm slowly, the boat wont move. I was thinking of trying a rock star prop, the rockstars have a 2 blade prop. I thought that with a 2 blade the cavitation would be worse than a 3 blade? but I am almost sure the drag on the motor is less too(softer on clutch). Also, today after work I am going to pull my clutch shoes( a' f'ing again) and see if the are the exact same weight(borrowing a really nice paint scale from work), I was looking at the design of the shoes and it looks like they inter-lock when not engaged. So, in theory if one was heavier it would try to engage first and bind up in there. I will also clean the casting where the shoes meet back a little and round off the corners with my dremel, to see if I can free them up. Just cant remove a lot of materiel in there cause if I lighten the shoes up it will increase the rpms to engage the clutch by decreasing the rotating mass with the same tension spring on there?? I just watched HH video of the boat again, mine is nothing like that.. That's the boat I wound like.. LOL

Don't get me wrong I enjoy building and tinkering.. I just expect a rtr boat to be rtr. If I had bought a hull and built a boat this would be different, I could accept some hiccups.. I build full scale race cars for fun.. But I want this boat to remain stock for the first season. I dont think I should have to mess with it every time I throw it in the water. I have a couple bonzi boats and they run flawless! I have other electric proboats, flawless. My buddy that I run with has almost every gas boat(& electric some of witch he has pairs of..) proboats ever made(not a exaggeration), they run good to flawless(some are older can expect some issues).. lol with acceptation of his zelos 48 g(same issue as mine).

I still have a standing offer with horizon. I told them I will drive the 8 hours(each way) down to so-cal so Raphael can look over my boat.. I didn't ask for gas money, hotels, anything, just want the boat to run right.

If they dont fix it I will just order a Bonzi clutch for $250 and move on with my life.. With no more proboats I have 3 that I want right now! but wont give them more of my money, if its like this..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast