Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
Well, maybe this will help... on the initial setup, strut depth set so mid-line of prop shaft on the strut is the same as the depth of the back of the sponsons. Use a flat surface like your kitchen countertop, granite is best. The bottom of the boat should be parallel to the granite top for the first 4-5” from the transom. No angle on strut to start. Bottom of turn fin should be parallel with bottom surface mentioned. Bottom of rudder should also be co-planer, so all three surfaces are parallel. For this setup, need to measure the distance from the mid-line of the strut to the bottom of the strut, probably about 0.15”, but measure it. Move the strut up by this distance, so when the boat sits on the granite, it will be resting on the back of the sponsons and the strut. This position is how it will ride. When rudder and strut are set, move the strut back down that measures distance. Tighten it all up. Set the batteries so that the COG falls at about the mid point of the turn fin. I have a work bench with two, 4” X1” boards attached, running parallel and width set so it sits inside the tunnel. Need at least 1/8” of space between boards and the sides of the tunnel. Get a 1/4”, straight copper tube, place it on the boards and straddle the boat across the air traps. Move the boat back and forth and find the balance point. Tube needs to stay perpendiculr to the boat. Check where the tube is relative to the turn fin, move batteries to the position so it balances midway on the turn fin. Mark the location for easy placement. All gear should be on the boat, including the cowl. Now go out and let her rip! Strongly advice a prop on the smaller side for first run, or your boat could end up looking like this!
thanks for all the tips here Craig . I am new to hydros and new to this section and i can use all the help i can get . more information the better.. never even thought of the counter top test.. but it makes sense.. i am not sure how the rudder works with the test. my prop will sit not that deep.. i am getting a 90 mm rudder.. Dont know about the pop being that deep.
thanks for the information
LLoyd