Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I understand "Puff"

Im pretty sure the on/off switch just controls the input side of the ESC. The wires on the switch would have to be the same size as your batt cables if they cut the supply side. When you plug in your second battery the spark is the caps/ esc accepting the voltage. In short, anything can happen after the batteries are plugged in.

Ive thought about a toggle or switch on batt side but would create more resistance and just another thing to fail.

Mike, where in TX are you? There's a few of us here that may be able to help.

Took the z-boat out this morning on the water. Almost a success. Fired her up, set her down, pressed go and she takes off in a circle. Rudder is straight. As best I can tell the port prop is not spinning inward. So both are spinning counterclockwise. A crossed connection? If that ESC had only 2 leads to the motor I would have reversed them but there are 3. Can't reverse anything on the transmitter as that would fix the port but make the starboard backwards.

Surely I am missing something.
    May your batteries never fail you...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikiek View Post
    Took the z-boat out this morning on the water. Almost a success. Fired her up, set her down, pressed go and she takes off in a circle. Rudder is straight. As best I can tell the port prop is not spinning inward. So both are spinning counterclockwise. A crossed connection? If that ESC had only 2 leads to the motor I would have reversed them but there are 3. Can't reverse anything on the transmitter as that would fix the port but make the starboard backwards.

Surely I am missing something.
    2 of the 3 motor wires switched will change the direction it turns. Also, there is a right and left turn cable so make sure of which you're reversing. Again, where are you located? There's a few clubs in TX I may be able to get you in touch with someone close that may be able to help.

oscarel - I am near Montgomery on Lake Conroe. Cables and props are good. I have learned a little. I'm not clear what you mean when you say 2 of 3 wires switched. Switch any 2 wires?

Mike

oscarel - I am near Montgomery on Lake Conroe. Cables and props are good. I have learned a little. I'm not clear what you mean when you say 2 of 3 wires switched. Switch any 2 wires?
    Yes, just swap any 2 wires. There is a clockwise and a counter clockwise cable, spin one the wrong way and it may unwrap and cause damage to the stuffing tube. Jay (Fluid) and the HOTMBC are close in Katy. I believe Jay is just down the highway from you. Get in touch with him and see if he or someone else there can help you.

Very cool! Thanks for that. Would love to get some time with someone that knows what they are doing Would also be good to have some company.

I switched 2 wires and the prop appears to be spinning in the right direction now. Gonna sneak away and put her on the lake for a few minutes.

Thanks oscarel

Mike

Very cool! Thanks for that. Would love to get some time with someone that knows what they are doing Would also be good to have some company.

I switched 2 wires and the prop appears to be spinning in the right direction now. Gonna sneak away and put her on the lake for a few minutes.

Thanks oscarel
    Anytime. There's a Memorial weekend race in Crosby if you want to come and check it out. And here's our district 7 (TX/NM) web page.

http://www.namba7.com/home.html

http://jrcbd.com/forum/showthread.ph...7-Invitational

Attached is a diagram I like about cable rotations

left_and_right_cable-2.jpg
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Attached is a diagram I like about cable rotations
    OK - If I am understanding this the top assembly goes to the starboard side - bottom is the port side?

Mike

AAaahhhh!!! The thread that wouldn't die.....

Well this is embarrassing. It appears that both my cables have the same twist Man, what else can the kid do to screw this up What sucks is I replaced both of those with packaged (and labeled) cables. So apparently one of the cables was labeled incorrectly. Lesson learned there.

DSC01987.JPG

DSC01994.JPG

I suppose that could explain the dreadful performance on the water a few minutes ago? Full throttle and the hull barely got up to plane. I did recalibrate with no improvement. No heat inside but maybe I just got lucky. It was a short run.

Well it is time to relube the cables anyway. WHAT"S NEXT???

I know I must be coming across as a complete imbecile to everyone - I'm not that stupid

Mike

That was just meant for you to see the ////////// on the cable and be able to tell which way the cable is supposed to rotate. I don't have a Zelos or any twin powered boats for that matter, someone will chime in on if your Zelos props should spin inward or outward.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Don't give up! It will be all the more rewarding when you get it right. Learning is part of the game, we were all newbies once, and we are all still learning really.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Well this is embarrassing. It appears that both my cables have the same twist Man, what else can the kid do to screw this up What sucks is I replaced both of those with packaged (and labeled) cables. So apparently one of the cables was labeled incorrectly. Lesson learned there.

DSC01987.JPG

DSC01994.JPG

I suppose that could explain the dreadful performance on the water a few minutes ago? Full throttle and the hull barely got up to plane. I did recalibrate with no improvement. No heat inside but maybe I just got lucky. It was a short run.

I know I must be coming across as a complete imbecile to everyone - I'm not that stupid
    Reference this thread, or search you will find the answer to which direction they should spin. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...039#post655039

There are full sized boats and also some very fast twin riggers that run same direction.

The right, starboard, cable is the wrong one. Props on the Zelos 36 turn inwards and the cable winds should create a ^ pattern pointing towards the bow. ////// on the left side, \\\\\\\\ on the right. The left prop spins CW and the right prop spins CCW. Check to make sure your props are installed correctly as well. Regardless of cable direction, you need to verify that the motors are both spinning in the correct direction after replacing the ESC's. If one or both spins the wrong way, simply swap any two connections between the offending motor and corresponding ESC to reverse it's direction.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Don't give up! It will be all the more rewarding when you get it right. Learning is part of the game, we were all newbies once, and we are all still learning really.
    It's becoming a pride issue now. Who's gonna win - the boat or me?

I do have several more replacement flex cables. One set from ProBoat and one set from OSE. Those are showing me that the twist is different on each side - looking into the hatch from the stern the port goes \ and the starboard goes /. Strangely that seems backwards to me. If \ (the port side) spins clockwise that's going to twist open the cable not twist it tighter.

DSC01990.JPG

DSC01991.JPG

I will pull the cables, get the right ones in place, relube and reinstall. Hopefully that will make her run faster.

Mike

So based on Ryan's note above you want the cables to lay this way:

20170503_153638.jpg
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Wow. Easier to draw on a white board than sketch in Paint or similar. I'll have to remember that.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Thanks for adding bow/transom. I think that's where I was getting crossed up. I'm still confused with the 2 sets of cables I have. They both seem to be labeled incorrectly. They would have you think it's \ /

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    The right, starboard, cable is the wrong one. Props on the Zelos 36 turn inwards and the cable winds should create a ^ pattern pointing towards the bow. ////// on the left side, \\\\\\\\ on the right. The left prop spins CW and the right prop spins CCW. Check to make sure your props are installed correctly as well. Regardless of cable direction, you need to verify that the motors are both spinning in the correct direction after replacing the ESC's. If one or both spins the wrong way, simply swap any two connections between the offending motor and corresponding ESC to reverse it's direction.
    Think I'm going to hang this post on the wall!

Mike

OK - Inquiring minds want to know. If I can swap any 2 of the 3 wires running between ESC & motor, what do those wires do? I'm not arguing and it worked, I just don't understand why it worked?

Mike

Forget the labels. Forget the stock cables for that matter and just install the OSE cables like the picture Tameless drew up. Make sure your props go on like this:
    2017-05-03 19.42.21.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Forget the labels
    Sounds like good advise. Well she's ready to rock. Could be a day or so before I can put her on the water. I'll give you guys a break

Mike

Could be a day or so before I can put her on the water. I'll give my wallet a break
    fixed
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

fixed
    lmao
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

fixed
    I must be one of HH biggest donors right now.

Mike

DSC01987.JPG

DSC01994.JPG

You may want to consider these wire drives from Jeff Wholt

http://rcraceboat.com/ZelosUpgrades.html

No more worries about cables freying or putting them in the wrong way. Ive been running them on my Zelos and Spartin with great results. Just installed one in my Blackjack but I haven't tested it yet.

Well Redline - I have a couple of spare sets at the moment. BUT given my track record I could be needing more in a week or two The wires do look like a nice alternative.

BTW - thanks for that paint recommendation. I found the same Testors color except glossy at a hobby store I use a lot. It's a better match than what I mixed up.

Mike

BTW - thanks for that paint recommendation. I found the same Testors color except glossy at a hobby store I use a lot. It's a better match than what I mixed up.
    What's the Testors paint code, or part number? I'd like to pick some up.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast