Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Now I understand "Puff"

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    The green lights should go off when you start to apply throttle and turn on again as soon as you reach 100% throttle, which is how you know your ESC's and throttle are calibrated properly and delivering full power. If you don't get solid green lights when the throttle is at 100%, you are not sending full power to the motors.
    Here's a thought, do you have to do the throttle calibrate individually for each ESC. I think I was doing that using the OOB battery harness and assumed it was calibrating to both ESCs at the same time.
    May your batteries never fail you...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikiek View Post
    Here's a thought, do you have to do the throttle calibrate individually for each ESC. I think I was doing that using the OOB battery harness and assumed it was calibrating to both ESCs at the same time.
    Is the OOB cable for the battery? If so, it does not matter with throttle calibration or lipo cell count. Throttle calibration is between transmitter and ESC for endpoints and neutral.

If it were me, I'd do calibration individually. But you have to do them EXACTLY the same.

Yes, each ESC should be calibrated independently with the throttle trim set at 0. Pull the ESC Y harness and plug only one ESC into the throttle channel of the receiver at a time. Calibrate the throttle by turning on the radio first, holding the throttle at 100%, then turn on the ESC and wait for it to beep (twice I think). release the throttle, I believe it will beep again, power down the ESC, and repeat with the remaining ESC plugged into the receiver.

This process is not successful until you see a solid green light on the ESC at full throttle under normal operating conditions.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks everyone. I've got to call it a night. I have gone thru the calibration routine as described in the instructions. Regardless of the wiring combination, I never get the 2 beeps from the ESCs. I've tried doing ESCs together, individual ESCs. In every scenario, when I power up the ESC(s) I get the 6 beeps for 6 cells found. Never the 2 beeps for calibration.

In addition to the calibration, I will have to learn more about setting the throttle travel. Again, the instructions are awful. After one attempt I did get the reverse to rev much faster than any other time. Forward still sounds like about half of that.

Mike

Might be worth a call to Horizon tech support line

It really sounds like the throttle channel is reversed, like several others have mentioned. The Dynamite ESC's do not have a programming option be to reversed, but the Spektrum DX2E radio does. There are two switches on the top of the transmitter, one labeled ST and the other TH, each with an N or R option. The throttle channel is the forward of the two switches, and reverse is the forward of the two positions. Please, for all that is holy, tell me that your TH switch is in the R position. That would explain a lot. It should be in the N position, and then you will need to change of the motor/ESC wires accordingly to get your props to spin correctly.

It really sounds like the throttle channel is reversed, like several others have mentioned. The Dynamite ESC's do not have a programming option be to reversed, but the Spektrum DX2E radio does. There are two switches on the top of the transmitter, one labeled ST and the other TH, each with an N or R option. The throttle channel is the forward of the two switches, and reverse is the forward of the two positions. Please, for all that is holy, tell me that your TH switch is in the R position. That would explain a lot. It should be in the N position, and then you will need to change of the motor/ESC wires accordingly to get your props to spin correctly.
    That sounds like a good next step. There's nothing in the DX2E manual that shows end point adjustments for the throttle.

What's the deal with the default for TH. REV being "R" yet the throttle trigger states the direction is with TH. REV being "N"?

Untitled.jpg

FWIW - the Throttle Trigger inset picture on page 4 of the Zelos instructions make no sense to me. No idea what they are trying to tell me.

fweasel - the TH Rev switch is on R. We switched to N last night just to see what happened and of course everything was the reverse of what it was - trigger included. Yes, I could then switch 2 of the ESC/motor connections but I don't see what that would do to help get more speed.

Rereading what was posted last night I can't help but wonder if we are getting some terms mixed up. On page 9 of the Zelos instructions there is a Throttle Range Calibration. This is what I cannot get to work. Instead of the 2 beeps for calibration, I get 6 beeps for detecting 6 cells. On page 3 of the DX2E (transmitter) instructions there is a Travel Adjustment (endpoint) procedure. I believe this is what is limiting my throttle to 1/2 power.

I have found what looks like a valid method to set the Travel Adjustment. It could very well explain why I am getting only 1/2 throttle. This procedure is done only on the TX. After putting the TX in programming mode (yes the TX, nothing else) you turn the TH Trim knob all the way back (CCW), then pull trigger back and turn the knob (CW) all the way. You then do the exact same thing with the trigger at full brake. What I have been doing up to now was starting the knob at neutral (dead center) and then turning it all the way CW.

I'll have to wait until this evening to give this a try. I believe the Travel Adjustment must be set before you can do a Throttle Range Calibration.

I could be wrong but it's worth a try.

Mike

fweasel - the TH Rev switch is on R. We switched to N last night just to see what happened and of course everything was the reverse of what it was - trigger included. Yes, I could then switch 2 of the ESC/motor connections but I don't see what that would do to help get more speed.
    The reverse throttle travel "I believe" is much lower than forward, that I think is why you are only seeing about half the mph you should. You are probably seeing 1/2 the rpms you should. Fingers crossed that the N and reversing the motor cables will do the trick. Should rev much higher even on the bench.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Put the TH switch on N, reverse the motor wires as necessary, report back.

Make sure the cables are spinning the right way after swapping the motor wires.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Will do guys. It'll probably be several hours before I can try this.

Mike

Need more hints? I think we are there folks! Made those 2 adjustments - shoulda done one at a time but I don't care. Did the throttle travel adjustment, switched to N, switched some motor connections. After that the throttle recalibration started to work. Motors are screaming like the first day OOB! Not sure if I can get to the water today but I have no doubt.

I did also notice the Y servo cable had a lot of dimples in the insulation and one spot where the insulation melted enough to stick to another wire so I replaced that.

Well I think we have a boat again. One good thing out of all this - I got to know a lot of you guys and you certainly got to know me. A big thanks to everyone. We stuck to it and got thru it.

Wonder what I can mess up next?

Mike

Good deal! Bet it was the reverse setting. Glad u got it working. Thank fweasel for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

YAY.....now run that bastard.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

I had to sneak out to get that thing wet. Wind is about 12-15 steady, water is a little rough but couldn't resist. She's definitely back in business. I didn't push too hard given the conditions - I'd like to have a working boat for at least a day

Mike

Glad you're back up to speed. Bet that won't happen again.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Many thanks fweasel. You've no idea what a "load off" this is. Too many other projects on hold while we worked thru this.

On the bright side I gained a lot of knowledge about how the Z is put together. Hopefully this might be a helpful thread for someone else down the road - albeit a long read.

Mike

plenty of people would have gotten pissed, blamed the boat or the manufacturer sold it and moved on. I'm sure it wasn't all smiles but you were civil about the whole thing. Glad to hear you finally got everything sorted. Your efforts will be rewarded with dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    plenty of people would have gotten pissed, blamed the boat or the manufacturer sold it and moved on. I'm sure it wasn't all smiles but you were civil about the whole thing. Glad to hear you finally got everything sorted. Your efforts will be rewarded with dividends.
    Hey thanks for that. In the end I think it got down to a pride thing. NO WAY that boat was gonna win

Mike

Great news. As you did, I learned a lot from your misfortunes. It should be all down hill for you now. Good luck and good speed for the future.

Happy to help, but it was a collaborative group effort. Now go and break something else.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Now go and break something else.

That's why I didn't push it on the water last nite. It's almost been 24 hours with a working boat.

Somewhere in the middle of all this I got promoted to Senior Member. I'm somebody now

Mike

Grey hair and all huh?

Cool man, looks like I was right.

Any updates since last month?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Any updates since last month?
    We did get the TX worked out - description is posted above. The slow speed was due to the throttle switch on top of the TX being set to R. Apparently either the TX or the ESC only allows about 1/2 of full throttle for reverse. Since "my" forward was in reality reverse I was only getting 1/2 speed on forward. Changed the switch, switched 2 of the motor/ESC wires and it ran as it should.

Now working on getting trim/balance in order. I did get 62mph last weekend so things are coming along.

Mike

cool, I thought I saw a post of facebook in the heart of Texas model boat club, she looked to be moving pretty well!
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

that was me!

Mike

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345