Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I understand "Puff"

Default Now I understand "Puff"

I sorta thought that might have been a term someone made up but in fact it is quite accurate. I'm about ready to hang it up. Who has this kind of luck? And it has been 1 week today since the Zelos arrived.

The boat went up in smoke this morning - literally. Was using 2 Admiral 5000mah, 6S, 50C batteries - first time with these. Plugged them in the boat and about 10 seconds later, POOF a puff of black smoke A few seconds later 2 bright flashes that looked like they came from the ESCs

The batteries were brand new. Charged on my "smart" charger. As always there was a small spark in the connector when I plugged the 2nd battery into the boat. All the components in the boat are still OOB. I'm guessing the batteries SHOULD HAVE been plugged directly into the ESCs instead of the harness? The instructions are not clear on this. Another moron mistake

Damages look like a melted spot in the insulation of one of the batteries. Another melted spot on the harness to the ESCs. One last spot on a wire coming directly out of one of the ESCs (between the harness and the ESC). Of course that's just the visible stuff. No telling what happened internally.

So, not sure where to go from here. At this point I'd rather focus on picking up the pieces. Short of plugging in another set of batteries (just kidding) how do you determine what parts are good and what's not? I need to determine what needs to be replaced.

Along with that, do I replace with the same stock components or with upgrades.
    May your batteries never fail you...

Mike

ohh man that is to sad,with 6s yes you go directly with the esc.It is mentioned a lot of times to be honest that this harness is only for use with 2x3s batteries,what you did was to try and run the boat with 12s :/ For sure your escs are toasted,for more details wait for a more experienced to pop in
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

I don't have a zelos but I believe the Y harness takes two 3s packs, wires them in series for 6s, and then feeds that "one pack" to each motor. If you indeed hooked up two 6s packs with the series adapter you just hooked 12s to each ESC and cooked them. Don't get discouraged, these things happen when you're new to the hobby. Most everyone here has let out magic smoke one way or another. Bummer when its a simple mistake like that though.
    Last edited by Mxkid261; 04-26-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Bummer when its a simple mistake like that though.
    You are right about that. Maybe more like a stupid mistake.

Any suggestions on replacements? I was thinking ESCs and maybe motors, but then realized I might even need to think about receiver and servo as well. For the cost of the OOB parts I could just about buy a new Zelos.

Mike

Motors should be fine

FWIW, puff refers to Lipo battery packs that begin to swell from abuse.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Don't hang it up! New ESCs should get you going, it is pretty sure that they were damaged. Please just make certain you understand how to plug the packs in correctly next time. We were ALL rookies once.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Mike,
    Sorry to hear of this. These things can be confusing to beginners like us. If you take a look at page 5 of the manual that came with the Zelos it states

The included battery adapter allows you to operate your
    boat with (2) 7.4V or (2) 11.1V batteries. You can remove
    the adapter if you choose to run lower voltage to each ESC.
    If you choose to run (2) 7.4V or (2) 11.1V LiPos for each
    ESC, 4 batteries total, we recommend the DYNC0028 to
    series your LiPos together before you can plug them in to
    each ESC.
    4. Connect the battery pack connector to each of the
    adapter’s EC5, or to each ESC EC5™ connector

What confuses me is that the instructions state " you can remove the adapter if you choose to run LOWER voltage to each esc. " What if you want to run higher voltage?
    However.... there is a yellow warning tag attached to the 'y' adapter that states " Do not use this adapter with more than 3s lipos. Damage will occur"

With that said, a pair of 6s lipos with the series adapter may not have been a good idea. Don't get discouraged. Keep at it.
    Last edited by vinnyp; 04-26-2017 at 07:30 PM.

So I guess basic rules of thumb

Using 2 3S (or lower) plug them into the OOB harness
    Using 4 3S (or lower) use the series adapter and plug that directly to the ESC; basically 2 batteries per ESC
    Using 2 4S-6S plug directly to the ESC; 1 battery per ESC
    Using 4 4S-6S you're an idiot

On the replacement front - any point in getting something other than the OOB ESCs? I see OSE has one that appears to be equivalent. Any comments on that?

One other thing - I know one of the 6S batteries I used this morning is probably toast. The cable insulation is melted. The other one shows no visible damage. Should I toss that one as well? If it has a problem would it possibly damage the charger if I plugged it in just to see what the charger thinks about it?

Mike

I'd love the cooling blocks from your burnt ESC's.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Puff. puff give!

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Nortavlag Bulc

OK - I'll buy that. But it sure was a puff of black smoke. Almost like the little smoke bomb fireworks. Just a small, thick, black cloud. Followed by a bit of lightening.

Mike

The new ESCs arrived this evening. I am replacing with identical components. Not real easy installing them. Most of the leftover wiring on the boat looked OK. I did replace the stock harness with a new one. Everything else I am leaving. It's all back together again but I did not start it up. Not in the mood for fires tonite

I'll go back to the 2 3S LiPos and the harness just to try it.

I thought I had to loosen up the rudder servo and cables, turns out I did not but I'm having those cables unraveling and they are difficult to get into the attachment on the servo arm. May want to get a spare of those and do some hard soldering to keep the strands together. Do they have a wire replacement for these cables?

Mike

No, Proboat does not sell the cables by themselves. Twist them back into shape and treat the ends with something to keep them from unraveling again. I kept cutting my knuckles on the tips, so I cut small 1/4" pieces of silicone hose, shot them full of hot glue, and slipped them over the ends.

I would make sure your new ESC's are programmed properly, the most important setting being timing as I'm unsure what they're set at out of the box. I'm fairly certain, but not 100%, that the Zelos comes set for 7.5* timing. LVC should be at 3.2V, battery selection can be set to auto or 6S.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

No, Proboat does not sell the cables by themselves. Twist them back into shape and treat the ends with something to keep them from unraveling again. I kept cutting my knuckles on the tips, so I cut small 1/4" pieces of silicone hose, shot them full of hot glue, and slipped them over the ends..
    Was wondering if someone sells an upgrade cable similar to the OSE prop cable. I've already had to cut off a few strands because they jammed up when stuffing the cable into the fastener.

I would make sure your new ESC's are programmed properly, the most important setting being timing as I'm unsure what they're set at out of the box. I'm fairly certain, but not 100%, that the Zelos comes set for 7.5* timing. LVC should be at 3.2V, battery selection can be set to auto or 6S.
    Good idea. Would not have thought to check that. I'm hoping to get a few laps in this evening.

Mike

https://www.horizonhobby.com/rudder-...aran-prb286022

here's a link to the steering cables. Of coarse there on backorder

Thanks REDLINE - just noticed today they are available. Ordered 2.

Mike

Man I'm really getting nervous about plugging in some batteries this evening. Everything is in place but I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling. Fire extinguisher and garden hose will be at my side. Will be doing this outside in the driveway.

Mike

Good luck Mike. Hopefully, you puffed your last puff the last time.

This is from page 1 of the "that'll learn ya" file. One good expensive mistake usually won't happen twice.

At least not the same mistake

Mike

Something I realized a little while ago. What is the purpose of the ESC on/off button?. Sounds obvious I know, however the ESCs smoked as soon as I plugged in the batteries. I never pressed the button to turn them on. Apparently the circuit is closed without pressing the button? Or is the button "downstream" from the ESCs? I would have expected battery, on/off, receiver, ESC, motor.

Mike

That's an interesting fact, but not one I'm willing to test out myself.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Mike

Fire extinguisher - check
    Hose with sprayer - check
    Safety glasses - check

Plugged in 1st battery - we're a go flight
    Plugged in 2nd battery - the usual pop/spark in the connector (scared the bejezus out of me) - we're a go flight

Turn on transmitter - check
    Power up boat - man it's been so long I forgot how - read instructions - CHECK!!!!!

Steering - check
    Throttle - check

Power down. Had to baby sit tonight so didn't get to the water. Will sneak a few laps in the morning before work. Still need to program. I hope this won't be problematic. The instructions keep mentioning flashing lights & beeps. I see the flashing lights but I have yet to hear a beep. Hopefully it's not the same pitch as the tinnitus in my ears.

Can't say this ordeal is over quite yet but I will say I am grateful for all the help and support I have received in this forum! Don't know where I would be right now without you guys

Thank you!

Mike

Mike,
    I got a little chuckle out of the way you told of your powering up procedure.
    Great that all seems ok. Have a good run tomorrow.

Mike,

Always Always Always turn your transmitter on first before plugging in batteries. If something were to glitch and the transmitter was not on, you could instantly have two propellers spinning which can be very dangerous. Also, never turn off the transmitter before you have disconnected your packs for the same reason.

Ken
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Thanks for that Ken. I shoulda known. I have to do my sailboats in that sequence.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikiek View Post
    Fire extinguisher - check

Plugged in 2nd battery - the usual pop/spark in the connector (scared the bejezus out of me) - we're a go flight

Thank you!

Man I had to lol after reading that. I put the connectors on a brand new car esc backwards once, fried it. It was race night and I wanted to race so i bought a new one from the shop only to have it go up in smoke during programming (that company no longer exist btw). Ever since then the pop/spark will give me a good jump if I'm not ready for it. I've also plugged in two batteries to each other instead of the esc, on more than one occasion sadly. Just thought I'd let you know you aren't the first one to screw up the wiring. It's expensive and discouraging but all this pain and suffering must mean there are brighter days ahead, ones that aren't lit by fire

I now follow a couple simple rule during battery hookups. 1 no talking, unless it's to your self about the colors of the wires. 2 check polarity twice and plug in once. The 2nd rule is a modification of measure twice cut once.

my best guess on the on off switches is that they are only rated to a certain voltage, first the switches fried, once that happened the circuit closed and took out the esc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast